All Australian Team 2016

Which player is the most stiff to miss the AA squad?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If he finishes strong he's a chance of making the squad. At this point he simply hasn't had an AA quality season.
If you need to hear why...picture this...
1. He hasn't had the onfield influence of others. Others have been consistently winning games for their clubs. Boomer has been good but he just hasn't been a major concern...unless the other mob disrespect him and let him off the leash. He's a broken field runner that attacks the goal...once tied up with a close check he struggles a bit. He is not a constested ball winner which is understandable at his age. He is reliant on creating his own space by running oiff lesser opponents....All Aust tends to favour the ball winners and front liners who create rather than receive the ball. He was once that creator but this season simply isn't doing enough of it.
2. Noone can sit back and say "Boomer's been brilliant defensively" "Boomers been rotated thru the middle and been a gun" "Boomer has been hard at the ball" "Boomers been a marking target to straighten them up".
There is nothing he can hang his hat on that screams All Aust season this season. Not elite.
3. There are a number of guys that have had better seasons, and can be easier to argue as more deserving.

If I mention Rioli I;m not saying he's likely, but a chance at the squad. The reason isn't just that he's kicked a few more than Harvey...the bloke has once again been the number 1 defensive flanker/pocket. That is like gold these days. He locks it in. Harvey doesn't have a defensive side to his game to compete with that.
If I mention Jack Gunston its because i can definitely see him picked as AA. That's coz he;s had an AA quality season. He could be considered a FP or even a KPF, but plays upfield a lot and has both the defensive and attacking side to his game...he has won games for his club.
If i mention Nick Riewoldt its because he SHOULD be AA but its difficult to find a slot. He could even be named captain of the AA team after what he's got his mob to do, and who they have beaten and run close to beating. He's kicked about the same as Harvey, was a midfielder kicking 3 goals a game for the first third of the season, then been top 5 or BOG on many occaisons playing every position on the field since then. He's just had another game where he kicked 4 and led his team to a win over 3rd. That is very serious influence on matches. He also just happens to have taken 160+ marks for the season...if any teammate looks up there's every chance they'll spot him..and why wouldn't you instantly hack it in his direction with that marking power up the ground ?...that is meaningful influence all over the ground. He has even competed in the ruck...so many strings to his bow and having big influence on games. Would the AA forward line be too tall with him as HFF though ? Bench ?
Toby Greene, rotated thru the middle and wins his own ball, to go with about the same or more goals than Harvey. Been more dangerous than Harvey has and hit the scoreboard more. He might make the squad and a half a chance of HFF if he can finishes strong. More goals More tackles More disposals than Harvey.
Its a struggle to find a reason to pick Harvey.
Puopolo no chance. Good season but not AA standard. Always dangerous though and excellent without the ball similar to Rioli. Harvey is no jet without the ball...has not shown that side of his game at all this season whilst many others have. Even Puopolo has more clearances than Harvey this season.
Zorko had a fantastic early/mid season thru the middle and attacked the goal as well. He's a good chance of making squad and is another that needs a strong finish to make the 22. The bloke was running at something like 25+disp and 1.5 goals a game. Dropped off a little lately but those with a memory know he deserves to be thereabouts in the mix. He's earnt his chance.
Why wouldn't you pick a midfield rotation/ contested ball winner that has kicked 20ish goals for the season ? Harvey's kicked about 25-28ish ??? A creator not a receiver. Robbie Gray and Luke Parker for instance will have kicked 20+ by season end and been massive thru the middle. Why pick Harvey when you can have an extra contested ball winning midfield rotation ? They run both ways and create, defend, and can also mark the ball overhead.
You could even pick Dangerfield on a HFF in preference to Harvey...not that i would.

They are just SOME names.
If Harvey's finishing was first class it might help as well, but he's not demanding attention in that either.

Its about influence...and having an elite season. He just hasn't had it.
You have way to much time onyour hands

FB: rampe talia simpson
HB: shaw rance docherty
C: steven sloane martin
HF: gray frankling greene
FF: betts tlynch kennedy
R: gawn dangerfield ward
I: coniglio parker mitchell neale

a lotta good players missing out here but don't think there's much argument against many of them

If bont makes it will he be the youngest player to make the team? He will be only 20
Not sure if he will be younger than Wingard when he made it. However, Ben Hart made it a couple of months after his 18th birthday. With current drafting regulations, I'm not sure if it's even possible for that record to be broken.

FB: rampe talia simpson
HB: shaw rance docherty
C: steven sloane martin
HF: gray frankling greene
FF: betts tlynch kennedy
R: gawn dangerfield ward
I: coniglio parker mitchell neale

a lotta good players missing out here but don't think there's much argument against many of them
Laird in for Simpson

Surely boomers name starts to get a mention??
Why not ghe 1st part?? If a hff is averaging 20 and almost 2 goals thats definetely all australian material
Yeah i know and its bullshit to play as forward you should have to atleast kicked a certain amount of goals!
Please explain your reasoning why poppy rioli and zorko should be in before boomer??
You spend your time asking the same s**t of everyone over and over...then when anyone gets and uses some time to answer what u ask properly, this is the s**t you come back with.
You have way to much time onyour hands
Next time ask one of the smarter North fans if kiddies like you are allowed to stay up late so you can embarrass them with your cheerleading.

FB: Shaw, Talia, Rampe
HB: Docherty, Rance, Gibson
C: Steven Sloane Hannebery
HF: Martin, Franklin, Bontempelli
FF: Betts, Lynch, Rioli
R: Gawn, Dangerfield, Mitchell

I/C: Selwood, Parker, Ward, JPK

Squad: Merrett, N Riewoldt, Pendlebury, Shuey, Treloar, JJK, Neale, Simpson, McGovern, Pittard, Gunston, Coniglio, Goldstein, Grundy, Tarrant, Hunter, Shiel, Gray

Interested in opinions as to where Tom Hickey would sit in relation to the 40 man squad? Biased obviously as I watch him closer than other rucks but whilst he's been beaten a couple of times, he has been very influential in a lot of games including a BOG performance against Gawn, probably needs a win over Goldstein this week and a strong finish to the year if he's any chance to catch the selectors' eyes.

My team (so far):

FB: ???, Tarrant, ???
HB: ???, ???, ???
C: ???, ???, ???
HF: ???, ???, ???
FF: ???, ???, ???
R: ???, ???, ???

I/C: ???, ???, ???, ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Shaw, Talia, Rampe
HB: Docherty, Rance, Gibson
C: Steven Sloane Hannebery
HF: Martin, Franklin, Bontempelli
FF: Betts, Lynch, Rioli
R: Gawn, Dangerfield, Mitchell

I/C: Selwood, Parker, Ward, JPK

Squad: Merrett, N Riewoldt, Pendlebury, Shuey, Treloar, JJK, Neale, Simpson, McGovern, Pittard, Gunston, Coniglio, Goldstein, Grundy, Tarrant, Hunter, Shiel, Gray

Interested in opinions as to where Tom Hickey would sit in relation to the 40 man squad? Biased obviously as I watch him closer than other rucks but whilst he's been beaten a couple of times, he has been very influential in a lot of games including a BOG performance against Gawn, probably needs a win over Goldstein this week and a strong finish to the year if he's any chance to catch the selectors' eyes.
Lol Corey Enright not even in your squad, plz

Glad to see Josh Kennedy (Syd) getting mentions now. Despite the media's best efforts, Kennedy remains easily the best and most consistent midfielder at the Swans by quite some distance. Hannebery and Parker intermittently are anointed as superior players to Kennedy but it has never been the case and will not be the case for many years yet. Both very good players, but neither have ever been in the class of Kennedy.
Have been super impressed with him this year, yes he has had good years before but I've really took notice of his class and gut running for such a big and strong guy. Any up and coming inside mid would want to keep a keen eye on him.

FB: Enright - Talia - Gibson
HB: Docherty - Rance - Shaw
C: Hannebery - Sloane - Steven
HF: Zerrett - Franklin - Bontempelli/Parker
FF: Rioli - Lynch - Betts
R: Gawn - Dangerfield - Martin
I/C: Treloar - Pendlebury - Shiel - JPK

Grundy super unlucky to miss

You spend your time asking the same s**t of everyone over and over...then when anyone gets and uses some time to answer what u ask properly, this is the s**t you come back with.

Next time ask one of the smarter North fans if kiddies like you are allowed to stay up late so you can embarrass them with your cheerleading.
Hahah i didnt even read what you wrote it went for way too long! Youve just proven you have too much time on your hands by finding everything i wrote about boomer! I stick by my comment and will cheerlead loud for boomer to brought into all australian conversation!

Steven would have to be close to the final 22 he could make a late charge for a top 5 Brownlow place if he keeps his form up.
wouldn't say it'd be a late charge, has been excellent all year, him getting more recognition coincides with us playing better footy, tbh I'm expecting him to be top 5 in the brownlow, polls well without a lot of touches, got 3 for a 22 disposal effort last year when armo had 36 and bruce kicked 6

I'd say guarantees at the moment, save for a complete drop in output.

FB: Shaw - Talia - ???
HB: Docherty - ??? - ???
C: ??? - Sloane - ???
HF: Martin - Franklin - ???
FF: Rioli - ??? - Betts
R: Gawn - Dangerfield - ???
I: ??? - ??? - ??? - ???

MIDs always harder to pick, a lot are worthy this year. And not sure where they will place some players.

Back