Opinion All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL.com and it’s opinion thus far.

Do you agree?

I must say, Brad Sheppards inclusion warms my cockles.

What are your thoughts?

Jack Darling
Showed signs last year of his newfound maturity and has gone to another level, playing career-best football as the Eagles' main man in attack. Leads the AFL for contested marks (31), is third in the Coleman Medal race (28 goals) and right in the hunt for a maiden All Australian berth.

Andrew Gaff
Ball magnet is averaging 30 disposals (No.10 in the AFL) and is playing more inside midfield, but has become more damaging this season. With seven goals, Gaff is on track for a career-best tally (previously 11 in 2015). All Australian in 2015.

Shannon Hurn
Ranked second in the competition for kicks (201) and his disposal efficiency is through the roof at 87.3 per cent. Whenever he has the ball good things happen for the Eagles and, at this stage, Hurn should be an All Australian lock and possible captain.

Jeremy McGovern
Started the season a touch slowly by his lofty standards, but the dual All Australian has had some outstanding patches within games and sits second for contested marks (29) and equal sixth for marks (78).

Nic Naitanui
Anyone doubting Naitanui's influence only needs to compare West Coast in 2018 to last year. The 201cm big man transforms the Eagles' midfield, and has won the 11th-most hit-outs despite only playing 58 per cent game time coming back from his knee reconstruction. Was All Australian in 2012.

Brad Sheppard
The eternally underrated backman is hardly ever beaten despite regularly being given the toughest job on the opposition's most dangerous small forward. Numbers don't do justice for Sheppard, who has never been All Australian.

Elliot Yeo
After a breakout season stationed mainly across half-back, Yeo has answered the call moving into midfield and is averaging career-best disposal (24.3), contested ball (12.5) and tackle (6.0) numbers. A chance to earn back-to-back All Australian gongs. – Travis King

The JD one would make me the happiest after all the s**t he has copped. Hurn would be good for a decent slice of humble pie, especially if he is captain. I got him all wrong.
If it was picked now he'd be a lock,by the end of the year i dont think he'll make it
Kennedy is hitting form and is the more dominant of the 2
Not a slight in jd as long as he's working hard and we are winning its all good
Hurn should be AA captain this year

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Written by Travis King.. not to discredit the bloke but he is based in WA isn't he?

No way we'd get Geelong-esque numbers in the team, let alone the squad IMO

It's more possibles than locks. That list is pretty fair from that standard IMO.

For me (mid season form):

Locks:

Hurn HBF
Gaff Wing
Darling FP

Smokies:

Sheppard BP
McGovern CHB

Unlikely:

Natainui and Yeo

Yeo is a good chance to make it, just needs to be consistent second half of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheppard is the sort of player that they will throw a bone to when we're an average side. I can't see him making it this year, which is a shame.

Gaff, Hurn locks at the moment. Hurn as Captain, although you have to factor in the token 'warrior' Selwood exception.

If Nic Nat plays more minutes and strongly when we play Collingwood / North, he'll be in contention.

Don't think the AA selectors watch every game and do go off the stats sheets a bit. That probably discounts shep as his numbers don't jump out as AA, even tho he's playing elite footy.

If Gov gets there based on current form it’s on reputation, not performance. Having said that, Rance has been beaten by all & sundry (including letting Josh Jenkins look like Wayne Carey) & he’s probably already penned in.

I would say Hurn would be a lock right now, Shep maybe as well for a bench spot as I think he will fall behind Sicily & Laird.

If Darling only misses 4 weeks & 3 games, he’s probably a good chance of making it if he gets himself to 45-50 goals.

I don’t think this is the side that will have standouts, really. We don’t rely on individuals as much as in previous years, rather a collective to get the job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back