All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Thought I would start a thread that discusses all issues effecting all Divisions.

That said, the first issue is the one dominating the world atm. The NFNL have released comment on CoronaVirus. With the clear issues of transfer of fluids involved in games and training are we in trouble?

I fear a lockdown is coming very soon.

Stay healthy everyone.

You'd think the league has their hands tied behind their back now. Basketball Victoria are calling games off starting this weekend and some of the games I work at don't get 50 people let alone 500. I expect AFL Victoria will release a directive to can the season for a month.

Having said that, league are pushing on with netball finals tonight. Make up your own mind on that one.

What are the possible options, I am working on 2nd May as a start as pipe dream and 4th July more reasonable guess:

Nine game season, play everyone once then finals, final 4 for all for all Divisions to make finals over in 3 weeks.​
Push cricket back a month (we all have to take a hit) and use Oct for finals thus enabling more rounds which means if we get back on 4 July we can have 14 games and normal finals?​
Thinking outside the square can we start on 4 Jul and have a few night games and therefore maybe play a few times on a Sat, Wed, Sun for example that gets three games in two weeks…..not all grounds can do night but many can and I am sure with smart training regimes and proper management it is not impossible.​

…..we need something to talk about……

What are the possible options, I am working on 2nd May as a start as pipe dream and 4th July more reasonable guess:

Nine game season, play everyone once then finals, final 4 for all for all Divisions to make finals over in 3 weeks.​
Push cricket back a month (we all have to take a hit) and use Oct for finals thus enabling more rounds which means if we get back on 4 July we can have 14 games and normal finals?​
Thinking outside the square can we start on 4 Jul and have a few night games and therefore maybe play a few times on a Sat, Wed, Sun for example that gets three games in two weeks…..not all grounds can do night but many can and I am sure with smart training regimes and proper management it is not impossible.​

…..we need something to talk about……

I think the financial cost surrounding the loss of sponsorships and the loss of potential to raise revenue will force clubs to close doors for 2020 and turn there focus to 2021. The only way I can see football being played in a 9 round season is if all divisions enter a freeze period with no transfers and all clubs entering into an amateur type set up with players playing for love of the game and relegation and promotion being frozen. I just can’t see how clubs can function profitably with restrictions that will be in place.

I hope we find a miracle.

NFNL Update
Inboxx
Peter McDougall
9:40 AM (2 hours ago)
to
Hi All,

I am writing to you on the back of yesterday’s COVID-19 developments.

Effective immediately the NFNL office will be closed until further notice. All NFNL Staff will be working from home and they can be contacted by email or mobile.

I have just held a meeting with all NFNL staff to inform them that the only remaining option to see some football this year will be a half season from June. Netball could continue past September and play a full season. We will consider this as we work through a myriad of issues for both sports.

As we all know the entire community is affected by the COVID-19 and we will all do our best to manage our personal and work lives during this difficult time.

Regards,

Peter

Peter McDougall
Chief Executive Officer – Northern Football Netball League

La Trobe University Sports Park Stadium
PO Box 405 | Greensborough VIC 3088
Ph: (03) 9435 8228
www.nfnl.org.au

Northern Blues ended there partnership with Carlton today.

Who ended it? The Northern Blues or Carlton, and why? Who was losing out in the relationship?

This will be interesting how it plays out. I personally think it was a marriage that was never going to work.

Wonder if the Bullants come back? (was a massive fan, went to every game in late 70s and 80s, had my 10th b'day there as had family heavily involved)

Does the NFNL have anything to do with it? Are they planning a takeover?

Something to discuss whilst we are about to get locked away....

Who ended it? The Northern Blues or Carlton, and why? Who was losing out in the relationship?

This will be interesting how it plays out. I personally think it was a marriage that was never going to work.

Wonder if the Bullants come back? (was a massive fan, went to every game in late 70s and 80s, had my 10th b'day there as had family heavily involved)

Does the NFNL have anything to do with it? Are they planning a takeover?

Something to discuss whilst we are about to get locked away....
Carlton ended it. Couldn’t afford to keep the partnership going because there AFL club is going to take a massive hit. I presume it’s up to Preston whether they can afford to stand alone again? I’m not sure.

i used to watch Preston in the days when VFA was big time. The days of Laurie Hill, Jamie Shaw, Alan Joyce,Dick Telford, Len Clarke and many many more .Preston have always had a poor financial position and am afraid they will not survive. Sad day .

i used to watch Preston in the days when VFA was big time. The days of Laurie Hill, Jamie Shaw, Alan Joyce,Dick Telford, Len Clarke and many many more .Preston have always had a poor financial position and am afraid they will not survive. Sad day .
Maybe an opportunity for an NFNL club to be located at Cramer St oval

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a thought - start the season first weekend June 5th play regular season until Start of September 16 (16 rounds) with finals commencing then and finish up by mid October. If we had to start in July and finish finals by end of October that could still work (12 or 14 round season) Cricket season to start November, break up mid December to mid Jan, come back to play from mid Jan through to end of April to make up for the lost time with footy playing in October and start the 2021 season in May and have it as a 16 round season with the finishing date of the 2021 Season back to normal. Allows for a decent enough 2020/21 off season, a reduced 2021 season to also allow for reduced pressure on clubs to find the extra money for extra games.

Here is a thought - start the season first weekend June 5th play regular season until Start of September 16 (16 rounds) with finals commencing then and finish up by mid October. If we had to start in July and finish finals by end of October that could still work (12 or 14 round season) Cricket season to start November, break up mid December to mid Jan, come back to play from mid Jan through to end of April to make up for the lost time with footy playing in October and start the 2021 season in May and have it as a 16 round season with the finishing date of the 2021 Season back to normal. Allows for a decent enough 2020/21 off season, a reduced 2021 season to also allow for reduced pressure on clubs to find the extra money for extra games.
All sounds good, but that would mean all this goes away in 2 months. Prime Minister is telling everyone to brace for 6 months. Any season less then 10 games is it really worth it? Hopefully the government gets on board and helps local sporting clubs, cos you’d hate to see senior and junior football clubs go under

Pre-season is already too long IMO. So footy could go deep in to October hypothetically I reckon, but obviously with Cricket, grounds would be an issue.
I’d be surprised if the government didn’t try to accommodate both sports or allow at least footy to go later.

In other news I see a lot of clubs posting new sponsors? Surely your kidding taking money off sponsors at this stage.

With the announcement today that all students "who can learn at home must learn at home" for the duration of term 2 (June 26 finish) puts an end to any hope of junior footy this season and I can't see a scenario where Senior footy starts up. Not feasible to play local footy with no crowds. In the context of how the world sits at the moment I understand that it's not life or death but it's so important that we all find a connection to our clubs during this period. Will be interested to see what clubs can come up with via social media to maintain some form of engagement.

Im thinking it’s more than likely a 2021 re-commencement to local footy.
Far too many c**kheads out there at present, too cool to conform with simple instructions so how can it be trusted that all players, trainers, committed folk etc, not to mention all their “people” can conform to be doing the right thing in an attempt to protect our most vulnerable???

Still too risky to contemplate, an unless a foolproof environment could be offered ... anything less than a “what would the coroner say” attitude is something I’d hate to be responsible for as an administrator, let alone a volunteer.

Might be a perfect chance at a full reset across all forms of local football though, as I reckon the character of many local level players will be unveiled over the next 12-18 months.

Who’s going to be willing to play for far less on the back of all this, especially as sponsors etc may need to pullback or commit to a reduction on their usual levels of support.

Massive test now to see what motivates guys who already work their 40 odd hours a week .....

Im thinking it’s more than likely a 2021 re-commencement to local footy.
Far too many c**kheads out there at present, too cool to conform with simple instructions so how can it be trusted that all players, trainers, committed folk etc, not to mention all their “people” can conform to be doing the right thing in an attempt to protect our most vulnerable???

Still too risky to contemplate, an unless a foolproof environment could be offered ... anything less than a “what would the coroner say” attitude is something I’d hate to be responsible for as an administrator, let alone a volunteer.

Might be a perfect chance at a full reset across all forms of local football though, as I reckon the character of many local level players will be unveiled over the next 12-18 months.

Who’s going to be willing to play for far less on the back of all this, especially as sponsors etc may need to pullback or commit to a reduction on their usual levels of support.

Massive test now to see what motivates guys who already work their 40 odd hours a week .....

If this keeps up for another 3-6mths there won’t be any businesses left to sponsor clubs.

Going to be tough on some players also who may have lost their job and will need footy money to help them pay the bills.

I don’t think anything will be the same again let alone local footy.

If this keeps up for another 3-6mths there won’t be any businesses left to sponsor clubs.

Going to be tough on some players also who may have lost their job and will need footy money to help them pay the bills.

I don’t think anything will be the same again let alone local footy.
No club will have money next year, if players are looking for a pay day I suggest they apply for a weekend job at coles.

I can’t see this season playing unless there is some form of treatment released in the next few months that is reliable.

I have a feeling we will not be back in 2020 and I hate writing that or even thinking it.

11 May there will be relaxation of some restrictions but as we are hitting winter they will be scared to open up fully. Massive restrictions on crowds will stay. I was told there is discussions at AFL-Vic and Cricket Vic level to not start cricket season until after Melbourne Cup weekend. This would be a positive that you would hope works out and may help. A 1 Jul start would enable 13 game season and finals...1 Aug means 9 game season and finals. I feel these are our best outcomes.

We cannot control crowds and its very impractical to play without crowds. I think they will allow juniors to start up as they will see it as much more important getting kids back out there (which is true) and they can control crowds with timings and fixturing.

AFL-Vic and leagues are getting hammered by Clubs scared to play a shortened season as they cannot see it as financially viable and dropping threats like they will fold if they have to play. This has resulted in the recently released 75% salary cap drop and the possibility of even bigger cuts over the coming years whilst Clubs try and rebuild. All a drop in salary cap will do is make some Clubs to head to the shops for more paper bags. I can understand some people worried but that should not effect players and Clubs that are keen and have resources to play (or hope to)

In the end however this is bigger than local footy and in this Country we have done well but having a spouse that works in the industry this is probably a long way from over.

Still a long way to go. Hope all Big Footy lads have not been hit too hard with restrictions work or family wise. Stay healthy.

I have a feeling we will not be back in 2020 and I hate writing that or even thinking it.

11 May there will be relaxation of some restrictions but as we are hitting winter they will be scared to open up fully. Massive restrictions on crowds will stay. I was told there is discussions at AFL-Vic and Cricket Vic level to not start cricket season until after Melbourne Cup weekend. This would be a positive that you would hope works out and may help. A 1 Jul start would enable 13 game season and finals...1 Aug means 9 game season and finals. I feel these are our best outcomes.

We cannot control crowds and its very impractical to play without crowds. I think they will allow juniors to start up as they will see it as much more important getting kids back out there (which is true) and they can control crowds with timings and fixturing.

AFL-Vic and leagues are getting hammered by Clubs scared to play a shortened season as they cannot see it as financially viable and dropping threats like they will fold if they have to play. This has resulted in the recently released 75% salary cap drop and the possibility of even bigger cuts over the coming years whilst Clubs try and rebuild. All a drop in salary cap will do is make some Clubs to head to the shops for more paper bags. I can understand some people worried but that should not effect players and Clubs that are keen and have resources to play (or hope to)

In the end however this is bigger than local footy and in this Country we have done well but having a spouse that works in the industry this is probably a long way from over.

Still a long way to go. Hope all Big Footy lads have not been hit too hard with restrictions work or family wise. Stay healthy.
NSW government has confirmed the return of grassroots rugby on 18th July

NSW government has confirmed the return of grassroots rugby on 18th July
Based on the recent drop off of cases and the fact that 4700 of the 6600 people that have recovered, I’m not sure that we will have to wait until the 18th July because hopefully by the end of May we will have no new cases and no infected people and hopefully the footy season can start

Remove this Banner Ad

Back