All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Training pre Christmas is a waste anyway I hope this is on going for years to come.
I agree with you but its not a waste especially his year just to get the boys and girls together is a great metal relief.
But as normal seasons goes ,man we are just park footballer for f*&ksake most of the guys playing are not getting paid and even those that are getting some dollars, it does not boil down to much when we are asking them and staff to commit to 10 months a year.
Most clubs are bitching and whinging about ground availability from memory there is a little sport called cricket,I think their season runs November to march so they have the run of the ground and rightly so . Under 18 numbers are at an all time low and some sides are struggling to get enough bodies for the seconds week to week. but next with no sort of leadership from leagues or AFL Vic asking too much will come back to bit us right on the plumbs in a few years

I agree with you but its not a waste especially his year just to get the boys and girls together is a great metal relief.
But as normal seasons goes ,man we are just park footballer for f*&ksake most of the guys playing are not getting paid and even those that are getting some dollars, it does not boil down to much when we are asking them and staff to commit to 10 months a year.
Most clubs are bitching and whinging about ground availability from memory there is a little sport called cricket,I think their season runs November to march so they have the run of the ground and rightly so . Under 18 numbers are at an all time low and some sides are struggling to get enough bodies for the seconds week to week. but next with no sort of leadership from leagues or AFL Vic asking too much will come back to bit us right on the plumbs in a few years

well said.

it’s not about footy, it’s not about fitness. It’s about having a kick with your mates

well said.

it’s not about footy, it’s not about fitness. It’s about having a kick with your mates
NFL sent an updated email providing pre season option in line with AFL vic protocols and offered some options for clubs. The biggest hurdles are from councils at this stage who seem to be operating a couple weeks behind. Everything moves quickly in a covid environment.

Don’t be surprised if clubs are greenlit to resume training in either option
a) sanctioned training under AFL Vic Covid protocols, clubs required to follow covid protocols and covid officer present
or
b) unsanctioned group exercise in group numbers aligned to government rules.

Local governments have had no issues or lag times opening up their leisure centres and gyms which coincidently will make them money. But when it comes to senior footy they are dragging the chain, also seems to be the same for senior cricket

It’s official. No training allowed until after Australia Day next year!

Word coming from AFL Vic and NFNL seems to make this very untrue. Looks like they are very keen for it to be able to start in a few weeks with a lot of restrictions. Not sure where your official info comes from.

Hearing ground availability won’t make it possible for clubs to train pre xmas.

The cynic in me thinks this will be an opportune time for the council to make this the norm going forward as it is less work for their teams to schedule ground allocations.

It’s all up to NFNL and then council now. AFL vic have done their bit, albeit grossly conservative

Word coming from AFL Vic and NFNL seems to make this very untrue. Looks like they are very keen for it to be able to start in a few weeks with a lot of restrictions. Not sure where your official info comes from.

Attachments

• 72E5B5F4-50FE-49F6-954E-C93311C880ED.jpeg
    72E5B5F4-50FE-49F6-954E-C93311C880ED.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 150DC3E9-4D50-4183-B187-CF6409E03DF8.jpeg
    150DC3E9-4D50-4183-B187-CF6409E03DF8.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 82

That official enough for you? Someone’s obviously talking s**t to you!! It’s got nothing to do with AFL VIC after they have given the go ahead.
If the council sais no then it’s simply a no!!

It will all be unsanctioned until they allow it!

Last edited:
That official enough for you? Someone’s obviously talking sh*t to you!! It’s got nothing to do with AFL VIC after they have given the go ahead.
If the council sais no then it’s simply a no!!

It will all be unsanctioned until they allow it!

Some one may have released things above their pay grade.

All leagues, AFL-Community and many others are pushing for the health of all players to allow a restricted but workable plan.

Just because someone forwarded you an email does not make infinite. There are things happening in the background to try and make it happen.

But maybe my source is talking sh*t......we will see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some one may have released things above their pay grade.

All leagues, AFL-Community and many others are pushing for the health of all players to allow a restricted but workable plan.

Just because someone forwarded you an email does not make infinite. There are things happening in the background to try and make it happen.

But maybe my source is talking sh*t......we will see.
There is knowone above her at the council in regards to community sport. And yeh they just send out offical letters from the council to clubs accidentally!! Righto!

You also said they are looking at starting it in a few weeks? You do realise there’s just over a month til Christmas?

By the way I hope your bloody right!
I hope the council and NFNL come to there senses in the next 2 weeks and see there is no risk training in groups with no contact!
Players need it for there mental health aswel!

Last edited:
There is knowone above her at the council in regards to community sport. And yeh they just send out offical letters from the council to clubs accidentally!! Righto!

You also said they are looking at starting it in a few weeks? You do realise there’s just over a month til Christmas?

By the way I hope your bloody right!
I hope the council and NFNL come to there senses in the next 2 weeks and see there is no risk training in groups with no contact!
Players need it for there mental health aswel!

I agree, we need players out there. Even if its only 3 or 4 weeks of training.

Other councils have not sent that info out and if they allow Clubs to train then Banyule Clubs will scream and rightly so.

Why have covid plans and restrictions and then say no training. Its a decision by a bureaucrat that should be serving on Dan Andrews team, I hate those that find hard decisions too hard to make so they just say no and forget who it effects.

Other councils have not sent that info out and if they allow Clubs to train then Banyule Clubs will scream and rightly so.

Why have covid plans and restrictions and then say no training. Its a decision by a bureaucrat that should be serving on Dan Andrews team, I hate those that find hard decisions too hard to make so they just say no and forget who it effects.
I suspect common ground will be found shortly.

the Banyule council have a shortage of grounds and pre Christmas training makes scheduling difficult. This decision made their life easier for the next 6 weeks.

the Banyule council have a shortage of grounds and pre Christmas training makes scheduling difficult. This decision made their life easier for the next 6 weeks.
Did COVID swallow up a few of the ovals? Or why can’t cricket and football clubs work together. How have the council managed this previously? Seems a ludicrous reason to prevent football training.

Did COVID swallow up a few of the ovals? Or why can’t cricket and football clubs work together. How have the council managed this previously? Seems a ludicrous reason to prevent football training.

Its not the reason they stated, although it appears they don't want cross contamination of clubs, pre covid it was an issue. Ask any football club in banyule's boundaries access to grounds is always an issue, all forms of cricket take precedence. I know at my club it got to the point where coaches/players had to fill in the first 45mins of a wednesday night whilst waiting for the juniors to finish and that was if they ran on time. Their were times when they ran over and all the players could do was run around the footpath.

For mine when junior cricket was removed from Saturdays to Friday and Wednesday nights this impacted senior footy, this also meant one less night to train for cricket which was pushed to Monday. Drive past any ground in banyule on a Saturday morning and its near on always empty.

Its not the reason they stated, although it appears they don't want cross contamination of clubs, pre covid it was an issue. Ask any football club in banyule's boundaries access to grounds is always an issue, all forms of cricket take precedence. I know at my club it got to the point where coaches/players had to fill in the first 45mins of a wednesday night whilst waiting for the juniors to finish and that was if they ran on time. Their were times when they ran over and all the players could do was run around the footpath.

For mine when junior cricket was removed from Saturdays to Friday and Wednesday nights this impacted senior footy, this also meant one less night to train for cricket which was pushed to Monday. Drive past any ground in banyule on a Saturday morning and its near on always empty.
Well it is cricket season after all ! we as football clubs are encroaching on their season not the other way around I am a footy person but I sympathize with the cricket clubs which seem to be pushed around by the football clubs. What make footy more important than cricket

Well it is cricket season after all ! we as football clubs are encroaching on their season not the other way around I am a footy person but I sympathize with the cricket clubs which seem to be pushed around by the football clubs. What make footy more important than cricket
I don’t think anybody is suggesting footy is more important than cricket but why can both tenants work together in achieving a suitable outcome?

I don’t think anybody is suggesting footy is more important than cricket but why can both tenants work together in achieving a suitable outcome?
I agree with you but when you look at it local footy is a microcosm of the AFL and because the AFL are going 10 month's a year local footy do the same thing and everything they do flows down to local footy one way or another.
Where as not too long ago footy would not start before Jan and it was easier to working around the cricket, where as now we are competing for the same ground time with bigger numbers of players and whining when we don't get it. I have be known too whine as well .I really think footy needs to do a rethink on when training for the everyone should be allowed to start 2 week of Jan would be a good start

Mail was spot on, Training can resume from the 23rd as told by the NFNL

But clubs based in Banyule council don't have a ground to train on.

What have other councils said...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back