All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

roosterslife

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why’s that? Every other year teams have found grounds to train on?
Still need to get approval off the council before anyone can start training! No mater what the NFNL sais

Has the Whittlesea City Council said that training is all good to go as of Monday?

If they have then let’s hope the Banyule Council change there mind by Monday!!

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Still need to get approval off the council before anyone can start training! No mater what the NFNL sais

Has the Whittlesea City Council said that training is all good to go as of Monday?

If they have then let’s hope the Banyule Council change there mind by Monday!!

Exactly NFNL, can look like the good guys and approve training, council are the bad guys who won’t provide grounds to train on. The league if they really cared would step into assist.

I dont envy council, they have to deal with every user group, junior and senior cricket teams, senior mean and women’s football. Multiply this across all clubs it’s a logistical nightmare. the ground availability was an issue before covid, but now covid has given council the opportunity to make scheduling easier for them.

Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Exactly NFNL, can look like the good guys and approve training, council are the bad guys who won’t provide grounds to train on. The league if they really cared would step into assist.

I dont envy council, they have to deal with every user group, junior and senior cricket teams, senior mean and women’s football. Multiply this across all clubs it’s a logistical nightmare. the ground availability was an issue before covid, but now covid has given council the opportunity to make scheduling easier for them.
It’s not that hard. It’s naive to think that football clubs can lay dormant until Feb and then magically pop up with 60 players in time for a season. Most clubs need that ore season period to attract players for juniors, senior and women’s comps.

Have we lost sight of what a council is primarily employed to do? If it’s too hard then stand them down. Cricket can have priority but don’t tell me it’s too hard to find oval access 2 days a week.

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
If your council approves your training and you have a covid plan structured training will start this Monday.

roosterslife

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If your council approves your training and you have a covid plan structured training will start this Monday.
Yep correct, Covid protocols are now in place.
Banyule are still holding there ground no training before Australia Day. So unless they change there mind by Monday clubs will be doing unsanctioned training or no training in that area!

Givemetherock

Senior List
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep correct, Covid protocols are now in place.
Banyule are still holding there ground no training before Australia Day. So unless they change there mind by Monday clubs will be doing unsanctioned training or no training in that area!

Australia Day?i reckon most clubs need this period to get enough numbers together to get through a season. Massive disadvantage for clubs expected to put 19’s, scoobies and seniors together with limited prep time to get sufficiently fit after having the best part of 12 months off. How many players would be training with other clubs indifferent councils.

roosterslife

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Australia Day?i reckon most clubs need this period to get enough numbers together to get through a season. Massive disadvantage for clubs expected to put 19’s, scoobies and seniors together with limited prep time to get sufficiently fit after having the best part of 12 months off. How many players would be training with other clubs indifferent councils.
I doubt anyone would be training at other clubs.
If Banyule don’t change there mind it will just force clubs to think outside the box and just train in groups of 20 odd at different venues. Not call it club training, but personal training and not wear club apparel.
Bloody power grab by Banyule Council. Let’s hope they come to there senses by Monday!

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood

Clubs are going back before AFL teams these days. You can easily get fit if you start late Jan before round 1.

Givemetherock

Senior List
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clubs are going back before AFL teams these days. You can easily get fit if you start late Jan before round 1.
I’m speaking in regards to clubs that need to find the 80+ players to fill senior, 19’s and reserve teams. Without having played for so long many clubs may lose a fair chunk of there squads. Start in Feb, praccy matches start mid March. 6 weeks prep is a disaster waiting to happen.

Goldman

Draftee
Mar 23, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Nillumbik council has had a rule of no footy training pre Xmas on their grounds for a few years now.

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Sorry, disagree on that one Denny.

Council have seen the light in recent years and given summer owners of the grounds the ruling decision to allow football to train when not in use. Sensible stuff for once and it has worked well. Feel free to disagree though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
If the council is so concerned with sharing facilities, this hasn't stopped them from opening up their government run leisure centres and gyms.

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
NFNL adopting the AFL rules for 2021. The kick in from a point is now 15 meters from the goal line (an extension of 5 metres) and a player on the mark only has a lateral movement of 1 metre or a 50 metre penalty will be awarded.

Now for me the first one is fine (so does the fullback at Lower Plenty as he will be having a shot at goal....just kidding), the second I think will cause issues. I do not like this rule at all, mainly due to the fact the when on the mark say on the wing you typically follow the lateral movement of the dude with the ball. We know umpires have in the past been very lenient calling play on in this situation and now they have to watch two actions and make a decision on who moved first....

For part time umpires this to me is too much. I am very weary that the AFL umpires will be able to and I can see some teething problems with this rule come round 1.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
NFNL adopting the AFL rules for 2021. The kick in from a point is now 15 meters from the goal line (an extension of 5 metres) and a player on the mark only has a lateral movement of 1 metre or a 50 metre penalty will be awarded.

Now for me the first one is fine (so does the fullback at Lower Plenty as he will be having a shot at goal....just kidding), the second I think will cause issues. I do not like this rule at all, mainly due to the fact the when on the mark say on the wing you typically follow the lateral movement of the dude with the ball. We know umpires have in the past been very lenient calling play on in this situation and now they have to watch two actions and make a decision on who moved first....

For part time umpires this to me is too much. I am very weary that the AFL umpires will be able to and I can see some teething problems with this rule come round 1.
I agree. It’s simply not required at this level and just adds another level of complexity for little gain.

SlimyMackeral

Draftee
Dec 21, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi all
Have just moved to Yallambie and looking to find a football home for our family.
My 13 yr old daughter is an up and coming player, my wife can play at a decent standard and although ageing rapidly I'd like to think I can hold my own still but doubt div 1 would be my home.

My main question is there any chance of the 3 if us playing on the same day at the same oval/complex in this league?
Alternatively if the juniors are on Sunday is there somewhere the men and women play same place/day.

Alot of this is probably a bit of a stretch not knowing what standard or division my wife and I would fit into aswell.

Any help or guidance really appreciated, thanks.

roosterslife

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi all
Have just moved to Yallambie and looking to find a football home for our family.
My 13 yr old daughter is an up and coming player, my wife can play at a decent standard and although ageing rapidly I'd like to think I can hold my own still but doubt div 1 would be my home.

My main question is there any chance of the 3 if us playing on the same day at the same oval/complex in this league?
Alternatively if the juniors are on Sunday is there somewhere the men and women play same place/day.

Alot of this is probably a bit of a stretch not knowing what standard or division my wife and I would fit into aswell.

Unfortunately I think you will find in nearly all metro competitions that the men and U/19s play Saturday and the women and juniors play Sunday!

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
Hi all

At Old Ivanhoe (Premier C In the VAFA) our men and women’s play on the same day. We are lucky to have two grounds, so usually men and women play at the same location every second week.

if interested PM, and I we can discuss further.

Max “Not my real name“ Leader

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Is grading still relevant? 19s and Women getting no clear understanding of their season has to be a pain in the arse. With birthdays and weddings and crap like that why do we still do gradings. Would last seasons results (including say U17 results for 19s) not be easy to make sure no one nominates for Div 2 to chase a cheap flag?

Maybe I am bored and need another topic of conversation as I miss local footy.....cannot wait until April....* I hope we do not have any bullshit covid issues.

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Just awesome to see Dan and his Government giving money to stand alone VFL clubs to make sure they survive.....:huh::huh:

The "Strengthening Victoria’s AFL Development Pathways Funding Program" is a joke, if they cannot support themselves why are they competing. Pathways money should be sent to grass roots junior and local football not second tier semi-professional leagues. Apparently those Clubs did it tough during 2020....

Personally I would love to see a strong VFL but not propped up by AFL or Vic Government, local footy is where is starts.

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
Yes mate, keen to see how they get on. I wasn’t at the Thomastown game but it was a fascinating early match up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back