All Elite Wrestling

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah Yes. Rohdes and co would be finanicially moronic not to be different. This is an opportunity of a lifetime to set up a dynasty. They promoted themselves at all in because that's what people paid for. Its still not hard.

So The McMahon Family, Eric Bischoff, Vince Russo, Jeff Jarrett & Dixie Carter are all just ‘financially moronic’??

So The McMahon Family, Eric Bischoff, Vince Russo, Jeff Jarrett & Dixie Carter are all just ‘financially moronic’??
No actually. You've just proven my point. The Mcmahon family helped drive the success of the WWE with their characters in the Austin feud by creating arguably the greatest heel character of all time in Vinny Mac. Vince isnt financially moronic. WWE is actually doing the best it has in the last two years of business ever.Eric Bischoff was also a terrific heel character who created the greatest threat to VInce's monoply.He amde bad calls along the way, but his decision to push himself as a rival to the vince character wasnt one of them. Russo and Jarret tried to follow the Vince character model and failed, as did Dix Carter. The point is that you keep saying AEW will fail because the inmates are running the assylum. The truth is that it will fail if the wrong decisions are made. TNA didnt fail because Jarrett and Carter pushed themselves, it failed because they spent money on recreating past superstars while not developing enough of their own. Doesnt change the fact that Jarrett would have made a heap more money if he'd been a jobber and then business thrived. Likewise AEW wont fail if they push Omega as the biggest star in wrestling and it works if thats the right decision. Like it was in the original Vince angle.

In a similar way when you say All In showed the selfish side of the four wrestlers, while you are talking about a card that helped to launch a new promotion and the wrestlers you are talking about were pivitol in that. Effectively you're saying that ego was driving some of the most successful things in wrestling history, when the truth is Cody and co are the latest to be put in a position where they make the right calls they'll thrive and the wrong calls they wont. Continuing to reference a card that helped launch a promotion and another decision that was the best made by the company (in that it promoted the history of the NWA) isnt helping your argument.

Last edited:
I listened to Khan on Jericho's pod today. To be honest it's kind of changed my outlook on this whole thing. He sounds like an incredibly switched on dude who knows what he's doing. I think I get critical of the promotion purely out of loyalty to the WWE but this should be pretty good. I really hope it's accessible to us in Australia.

I listened to Khan on Jericho's pod today. To be honest it's kind of changed my outlook on this whole thing. He sounds like an incredibly switched on dude who knows what he's doing. I think I get critical of the promotion purely out of loyalty to the WWE but this should be pretty good. I really hope it's accessible to us in Australia.

Listened to it this morning also and was great, seems like a bigger wrestling nerd than most people.

No actually. You've just proven my point. The Mcmahon family helped drive the success of the WWE with their characters in the Austin feud by creating arguably the greatest heel character of all time in Vinny Mac. Vince isnt financially moronic. WWE is actually doing the best it has in the last two years of business ever.Eric Bischoff was also a terrific heel character who created the greatest threat to VInce's monoply.He amde bad calls along the way, but his decision to push himself as a rival to the vince character wasnt one of them. Russo and Jarret tried to follow the Vince character model and failed, as did Dix Carter. The point is that you keep saying AEW will fail because the inmates are running the assylum. The truth is that it will fail if the wrong decisions are made. TNA didnt fail because Jarrett and Carter pushed themselves, it failed because they spent money on recreating past superstars while not developing enough of their own. Doesnt change the fact that Jarrett would have made a heap more money if he'd been a jobber and then business thrived. Likewise AEW wont fail if they push Omega as the biggest star in wrestling and it works if thats the right decision. Like it was in the original Vince angle.

In a similar way when you say All In showed the selfish side of the four wrestlers, while you are talking about a card that helped to launch a new promotion and the wrestlers you are talking about were pivitol in that. Effectively you're saying that ego was driving some of the most successful things in wrestling history, when the truth is Cody and co are the latest to be put in a position where they make the right calls they'll thrive and the wrong calls they wont. Continuing to reference a card that helped launch a promotion and another decision that was the best made by the company (in that it promoted the history of the NWA) isnt helping your argument.

Where I feel that TNA failed (WCW as well, just not to the extent) was when they tried to become the WWE(F). TNA. The six sided ring was unique, The knockout’s was of a higher standard over the diva’s at the time. You had the younger guys in the X division starting to come through such as: AJ, Daniels, Roode, Somao Joe ect. It was a good product. They then hired Russo and Bishoff, who tried to make it into another WWE. Turned it to a traditional ring, repeated old story lines, brought in Hogan on a huge contract, tried to go head to head with raw ect. It became a cluster*.

That’s why I think that if AEW is going to be successful, then they need to define who and what the promotion is, instead of trying to be the next WWE. Cody, the Bucks, omega and the Khans appear to be smart enough to realise this.

That’s why I think that if AEW is going to be successful, then they need to define who and what the promotion is, instead of trying to be the next WWE. Cody, the Bucks, omega and the Khans appear to be smart enough to realise this.

And it's been stated multiple times by them that they don't want to be like WWE or feel the need to compete with them.

Should listen to Khan on Talk is Jericho, he gave some small tidbits on how the sports feel will be incorporated and it sounded very exciting.

They talked about how sometimes in real sports, even the bottom of the ladder team can cause an upset against the best team and although winning doesn't necessarily mean they win the whole season or a championship opportunity in this case - but the win is important for the wrestlings future commentary, their development and overall standing.

Also they talked about characters being written to care about results, how a win for regular sports fans makes their day / week / year but a loss can be the end of the world. Was interesting hearing these small things that we feel even as AFL fans be connected to the wrestling creative.

Has me more convinced on this "sports" archtype they're going for that hasn't really been publicly fleshed out.

Listened to it this morning also and was great, seems like a bigger wrestling nerd than most people.

Yeah when he was picking off dates and stuff you could tell Jericho was almost crept out.

And it's been stated multiple times by them that they don't want to be like WWE or feel the need to compete with them.

Should listen to Khan on Talk is Jericho, he gave some small tidbits on how the sports feel will be incorporated and it sounded very exciting.

They talked about how sometimes in real sports, even the bottom of the ladder team can cause an upset against the best team and although winning doesn't necessarily mean they win the whole season or a championship opportunity in this case - but the win is important for the wrestlings future commentary, their development and overall standing.

Also they talked about characters being written to care about results, how a win for regular sports fans makes their day / week / year but a loss can be the end of the world. Was interesting hearing these small things that we feel even as AFL fans be connected to the wrestling creative.

Has me more convinced on this "sports" archtype they're going for that hasn't really been publicly fleshed out.

This will mean they'll have to have a fair share of jobbers I guess.

Will find it and listen to it tonight. Sounds like a good interview. AEW doesn’t have to be WWE. WWE has never been anything other than WWE, through good times and bad.

There always was of getting AEW Content IF we can't Offically get here in Australia ;)

So basically no more EC3 beating Ambrose one week and then Ambrose beating EC3 the next and no one giving two shits about them after it. Can only be a good thing. I'm not a WWE hater at all. I'm at an odd point in my fandom though. I'm finding myself drawn to the workers far more than the entertainers lately, which is why I love NXT. Wrestling as a 'sport' feels more appealing than wrestling as an entertainment spectacle, so if a company can focus on that I am right on board.
In saying that, as long as Daniel Byran, Ricochet, Alestier Black, Johnny Gargano, AJ Styles, Seth Rollins etc etc etc are on TV every week I won't stop watching WWE.

Fulham fans can't complain, Khan has invested a lot of money into them. He's better than most other owners.

It's just not possible for him to change the whole side and make the defence better. Would take more than 1 summer window.

It's just a shame that the poor defence will see them get relegated.
Again...... I wish I had enough money to Own an English club and a wrestling promotion..... That's the dream.....

I’m pretty excited by all this after hearing Talk is Jericho.

Not a fan of Cody or the Bucks and I didn’t like Khan and Jericho gushing over ‘cirque-de-Soleil wrestling’ (their words not mine).

I really like what they said about making it more sports-based with wins and losses, however I don’t understand how you can do that if the actual wrestling looks like a performance and not a sport.. wait and see I guess.

The emphasis on quality producers and stuff like that sounded positive too. If they’re after wider appeal they will need to look and feel like a proper national promotion.

Jericho’s always been my man so I’ll give it a go. Really hoping it’s awesome and hooks me back into wrestling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as long as we don't have authority figures constantly on tv (or at all), then it's a step in the right direction.

Could that be Rhodes,Bucks and Omega though?

Well I surely don't believe that the decision on who is NWA Champion is that of the champion like some posters do around here ;)

I know that it was a decision from a range of people including Billy Corgan (the owner of the NWA) and Cody.

But I personally believe that Cody winning the NWA Championship at All In only to lose it 50 days later was just a selfish act of self-promotion.
  • It did very little for the NWA Championship because it's now back on Nick Aldis and IMO has less value than it did back then because it was used as a prop
  • The match was mediocre, ran too long and wasn't one of the better matches of All In
So I'm going to stand by my opinion that Cody winning the NWA Championship was a bad, selfish decision even if Billy Corgan & others agreed to it. I think if this type of selfish behaviour will happen again in AEW that Cody will just be another TNA-style Jeff Jarrett.
well lets see what AEW has in store in 6-12 months

Where's the expected "Tye Dillinger is going to AEW and be used correctly and be a star" post??

I know unused talent not being used should be content on being overlooked. Especially when you have such classics as Brock vs Roman. Brock vs Braun, Roman vs paint drying and Brock vs grass growing main events at the PPV’s. 🙄

No. The big difference is that these guys are all about creating a great product as they benefit more from the company doing well than winning titles, while Nash never had the incentive of benefiting more from the company doing well compared to his wrestling character winning titles.
I assumed you are talking about Kevin Nash. Im glad you brought this up. Interesting view you have on him. You said Nash never had the incentive of benefiting more from the company doing well compared to his wrestling character winning titles.

When Kevin Nash held the WWE belt for 1 year, he was never on a guaranteed contract. He got paid on what the company drew. He said it himself, those European tours, WWE guys were only getting 2-300 dollars per show each night just to pay for their pain killers!. you got injured in the WWE in those days, you didn't get paid.''

Nash wanted the WWE to draw money, so he could earn more.

I can understand him going to WCW. Get paid a guaranteed deal of $750,000 a year or $15,000 a week, regardless if you were injured or not.

Any justification for this opinon?

To date Cody & The Bucks have produced ONE show to date that featured wrestling matches in All In. On that show Cody Rhodes won the NWA Championship and The Young Bucks were winning in the main event. How does that show they are about "creating a great product" rather just making themselves look good??
That's one show.

Basic booking is for someone like Cody Rhodes to have the belt for 5-6 months, build him up as a champion for the next person to knock him off. No different in Giving a monster Heel a very long title reign for a baby face to knock the monster heel for the belt. Example Vader to ric flair in Starrcade1993 or Yokozuna to lose to Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 10.

Do you want to contribute something to the discussion?? Or are you just going to make random comments about other posters??

I didn’t realise that having a different opinion was a bad thing— or are you afraid that I’m right about AEW??
what? you think AEW will fail or you want AEW to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back