All Elite Wrestling

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if the wwe main event talent interested in jumping is randy orton he and Cody are very close
I'd like to see Orton go to RAW or AEW. I feel like there is more than enough talent on Smackdown and he's used sparingly anyway.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Every report I've read has suggested TNA is heavily in debt without any real method of generating revenue. It seems like they were staying in business for either vanity reasons and/or waiting for a buyout from WWE. I've got no idea on the economics of TV but $10 per viewer sounds incredibly expensive to me.
I heard that they were 100 million in debt. But I heard that from Paul heyman. and Heyman is known to be a Liar despite being a creative genius.

the only reasons why Impact wrestling is still alive

1. Impact actually gets paid on doing shows at Universal studios in Orlando florida, Just like WCW did when they did those tapings in the mid 1990s.

2. International TV rights. Yes they are still getting paid money from Overseas channels as a source of revenue. This is despite Impact having 4 different American channels in 4 years in Spike TV, destination America, pop TV and now the Pursuit channel.

3. Their owners in Anthem Entertainment are still pumping money to keep them alive too.

The smart marks were all over Mid South/UWF - it consistently rated high in the Wrestling Observer awards. My point is any new promotion should have a totally different approach to the current WWE product. I watched Smackdown the other day and it was one nonsensical angle after another. As someone who now probably qualifies as a casual fan, it did absolutely nothing in terms of making me want to watch it again and/or buy an WWE product. I still think having a promotion that took itself a bit more seriously (while still having room for angles etc) could be profitable.

As for the "rally" it screamed low rent and will do absolutely nothing in terms of generating casual fan interest. Chris Jericho is a top talent and has been for years and I love him to bits as a performer but will he really generate long-term interest in a new promotion?

At the moment, AEW feels very similar to Global Force Wrestling and we all know how that ended. I hope I'm wrong
Well Again it depended on who you are.

WWE always looked like it Appealed to the Northern fan base. Especially in the New York area. You look at the population of the state of new York which is Around 20-25 million. MSG holds 20,000 seats. Other stadiums in New York held over 10-15,000 seats as well. Even though WWE has been on USA network for a fair bit of its history, It was also on TNN/Spike tv for a few years from 2001-2005. Spike TV picked up TNA afterwards. MSG network is a syndication channel and that had WWF show on there. Hell ECW was paying $250,000 a year to have ECW hardcore TV shows on MSG network in the 1990s as well.

You Mentioned Mid South and UWF. There's a reason why that company appealed to a certain audience. It was based in the South. Southern People didn't like the product of the WWE at the time.

Its a similar reason why Championship wrestling from Florida, Jerry Jarret's Memphis/CWA promotion in Tennessee, WCCW from Dallas texas each had a following. they all appealed to a Southern Audience.

look at WCW, Sure they travelled all across the country in their day. But from that dire 1988-1993 period, they travelled to the southern states in Florida, Philadelphia, texas and Tennessee often.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'd like to see Orton go to RAW or AEW. I feel like there is more than enough talent on Smackdown and he's used sparingly anyway.
He is another one I wouldn't mind seeing him make the jump as well to AEW.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had similar reasons to Jericho as well when it comes to creative freedom. At least he doesn't have to fully change his gimmick like Ed "Brutus the barber beefcake" Leslie did when he went to WCW. He would be definitely worth throwing 1.5-2 million a year to throw at too.

John Cena would be the big one for me though. It wouldn't be as Big as Hogan Going to WCW but it would be a huge story regardless.

WWE always looked like it Appealed to the Northern fan base. Especially in the New York area. You look at the population of the state of new York which is Around 20-25 million. MSG holds 20,000 seats. Other stadiums in New York held over 10-15,000 seats as well. Even though WWE has been on USA network for a fair bit of its history, It was also on TNN/Spike tv for a few years from 2001-2005. Spike TV picked up TNA afterwards. MSG network is a syndication channel and that had WWF show on there. Hell ECW was paying $250,000 a year to have ECW hardcore TV shows on MSG network in the 1990s as well.

You Mentioned Mid South and UWF. There's a reason why that company appealed to a certain audience. It was based in the South. Southern People didn't like the product of the WWE at the time.

Its a similar reason why Championship wrestling from Florida, Jerry Jarret's Memphis/CWA promotion in Tennessee, WCCW from Dallas texas each had a following. they all appealed to a Southern Audience.

look at WCW, Sure they travelled all across the country in their day. But from that dire 1988-1993 period, they travelled to the southern states in Florida, Philadelphia, texas and Tennessee often.

I don't think Philadelphia is really a "Southern State" considering it's a US city less than 100 miles from New York City as was the "spiritual" home of ECW during the 90's.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
cody wont be pushed as the face of the company but yes he will win the belt as will kenny/bucks. they need a big draw card signing that will make more then just smarks want to tune in and watch so for sure they will go after punk

people also paid for tickets before any matches were announced just on the fact it was cody/bucks doing their own big arena show.

as for getting close to popularity not being pg will help and having a mix of talent from pure guys who can put on great matches but also people who stand out character wise, in wrestling characters draw money it will all depend on the roster they can get. but since the khan's own the promotion and not bucks/cody it wont be tna with jj winning the belt 100 times
How many times Jeff Jarrett was TNA Champion when the Jarrett family were majority owners of TNA - 0
How many times Jeff Jarrett was TNA Champion when Panda Energy (aka the Carter Family) were majority owners of TNA- 6

Just because the Khan's own AEW doesn't mean that Cody won't be able to give himself the title and hog the main event. Even at All In he booked himself to win the NWA Heavyweight Championship. Just because you say it will be different then Jarrett & TNA doesn't make it true-- especially when all the signs suggest it could be very similar.

I am glad this was Brought up. After reading a few of my Posts, Its obvious that I have a good knowledge of TNA/Impact wrestling as I did constanstantly watch TNA PPVs from 2005-09.

You need to realize 2 things

1. Ken Shamrock was the 1st champion and he held the belt for 49 days. Ron Killings was the 2nd champion and he held the belt for 105 days before Jeff Jarrett got his 1st title Run which lasted at 203 days.

2. NWA/TNA impact wrestling Started from Scratch. As much as I disliked Jarrett, he needed the to hold on to the belt for 8-10 months to carry the torches until other guys were ready to hold that belt for long periods. AJ styles 1st reign lasted 133 days or 4 and a half months. They didn't have a deep main event roster like WWF had in the 1980s or WCW in the mid 1990s.

It was a similar Problem with the WWF once Hulk Hogan Left the WWF in 1993. After Being used to Hogan, Savage and Warrior being Champions from 1984-1992, All 3 were either left the WWE or phased out or in Macho Mans case, working in a non wrestling role by 1993-4. Actually After Hogan left In 1992 due to the Steroid scandal, Smaller, Athletic, technical guys Like Randy Savage, Ric Flair and Bret Hart held the WWE belt in all of 1992.

So once Hulk Hogan lost to Yokozuna in king of the ring on June 13, 1993. The Hulkamania era was done. The "New Generation" started. It was oing to take the wwe a few years to build up the main even talent. So Yokozuna held that belt until WM 10 in 1994 and that was a 9-10 month reign. Bret Hart beat Yokozuna at WM10 and held it until survivor series that year. So thats another 8 month reign. Bob backlund beat Bret hart then 3 days later lost to Kevin "diesel" Nash, who held the belt for a year. Bret beat Nash. in Survivor series 1995. Bret Had a 4 month reign and Lost to HBK at WM 12, like ret, HBK had a lengthy 8 month run from WM to survivor series.

So Yeah don't Be Surprised that Cody Rhodes has a lengthy 8-10 month run, then Jericho has a lengthy world title run. Then 10-12 months into the promotions existence, a new bloke has a good 5-6 month run with the belt.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I don't think Philadelphia is really a "Southern State" considering it's a US city less than 100 miles from New York City as was the "spiritual" home of ECW during the 90's.
ok so Pennsylvania isn't a south state. It was a hot bed for wrestling. and Yes I know ECW did shows in New York city

I am glad this was Brought up. After reading a few of my Posts, Its obvious that I have a good knowledge of TNA/Impact wrestling as I did constanstantly watch TNA PPVs from 2005-09.

You need to realize 2 things

1. Ken Shamrock was the 1st champion and he held the belt for 49 days. Ron Killings was the 2nd champion and he held the belt for 105 days before Jeff Jarrett got his 1st title Run which lasted at 203 days.

2. NWA/TNA impact wrestling Started from Scratch. As much as I disliked Jarrett, he needed the to hold on to the belt for 8-10 months to carry the torches until other guys were ready to hold that belt for long periods. AJ styles 1st reign lasted 133 days or 4 and a half months. They didn't have a deep main event roster like WWF had in the 1980s or WCW in the mid 1990s.

It was a similar Problem with the WWF once Hulk Hogan Left the WWF in 1993. After Being used to Hogan, Savage and Warrior being Champions from 1984-1992, All 3 were either left the WWE or phased out or in Macho Mans case, working in a non wrestling role by 1993-4. Actually After Hogan left In 1992 due to the Steroid scandal, Smaller, Athletic, technical guys Like Randy Savage, Ric Flair and Bret Hart held the WWE belt in all of 1992.

So once Hulk Hogan lost to Yokozuna in king of the ring on June 13, 1993. The Hulkamania era was done. The "New Generation" started. It was oing to take the wwe a few years to build up the main even talent. So Yokozuna held that belt until WM 10 in 1994 and that was a 9-10 month reign. Bret Hart beat Yokozuna at WM10 and held it until survivor series that year. So thats another 8 month reign. Bob backlund beat Bret hart then 3 days later lost to Kevin "diesel" Nash, who held the belt for a year. Bret beat Nash. in Survivor series 1995. Bret Had a 4 month reign and Lost to HBK at WM 12, like ret, HBK had a lengthy 8 month run from WM to survivor series.

So Yeah don't Be Surprised that Cody Rhodes has a lengthy 8-10 month run, then Jericho has a lengthy world title run. Then 10-12 months into the promotions existence, a new bloke has a good 5-6 month run with the belt.

Not sure why I need to "realise" anything--- I am well aware of TNA's early history. I would read the results online for years before it was available on Foxtel in Australia.

But I don't understand why you are suggesting that Jeff Jarrett needed to hold the belt during the early days of TNA Wrestling?

I understand that there wasn't a "depth" of Main Event talent at the time, but during Jarrett's first reign alone the following talent was on the roster who was already established enough to be legitimate (for this argument I'm choosing not to include Styles, Daniels, Low-Ki, etc because they are still being established)
  • Curt Henning (prior to his untimely death)
  • Jerry Lynn
  • Raven
  • Mike Awesome
  • Road Dogg
That could've been named champion without users the Creative bookers son as the champion who was defending his title in 3-on-1 Handicap matches.

But the Jeff Jarrett 'hate' in regards to the early TNA was beyond his first title reign and in the first few years of the organisation. In the first 1,000 days of TNA History Jeff Jarrett was NWA Heavyweight Champion for 671 days of those. It doesn't take 3 years to establish someone else to be the champion other than Jarrett.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure why I need to "realise" anything--- I am well aware of TNA's early history. I would read the results online for years before it was available on Foxtel in Australia.

But I don't understand why you are suggesting that Jeff Jarrett needed to hold the belt during the early days of TNA Wrestling?

I understand that there wasn't a "depth" of Main Event talent at the time, but during Jarrett's first reign alone the following talent was on the roster who was already established enough to be legitimate (for this argument I'm choosing not to include Styles, Daniels, Low-Ki, etc because they are still being established)
  • Curt Henning (prior to his untimely death)
  • Jerry Lynn
  • Raven
  • Mike Awesome
  • Road Dogg
That could've been named champion without users the Creative bookers son as the champion who was defending his title in 3-on-1 Handicap matches.

But the Jeff Jarrett 'hate' in regards to the early TNA was beyond his first title reign and in the first few years of the organisation. In the first 1,000 days of TNA History Jeff Jarrett was NWA Heavyweight Champion for 671 days of those. It doesn't take 3 years to establish someone else to be the champion other than Jarrett.
Yeah never seen him as a main event person. Didn't fit in wcw. One of the reasons I wouldn't watch early tna. I got into after angle joined still wasn't a huge follower though. One thing that is not said that turned me off at least is the commentary. Imo never had a good commentary team. Tenay is alright as a color with his knowledge but as a lead commentator. Drove me mad.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Yeah never seen him as a main event person. Didn't fit in wcw. One of the reasons I wouldn't watch early tna. I got into after angle joined still wasn't a huge follower though. One thing that is not said that turned me off at least is the commentary. Imo never had a good commentary team. Tenay is alright as a color with his knowledge but as a lead commentator. Drove me mad.

It will be interesting to see who AEW use for commentary considering the booth used for All In -- Don Callis, Excalibur & Ian Riccaboni. Considering Callis is heavily involved with Impact Wrestling backstage, Exacalibur being a founder of PWG & Riccaboni commentating for ROH I'm not sure if any/all of them will be available to move across.

Early reports said that Jim Ross was involved in this process --- but those reports are a few months old now, so that's only a possibility.

Conrad Thompson was the MC at the AEW Rally earlier this week and could be interested in transitioning his podcast work into an announcing booth role.

Personally I would really like to see Jim Ross, Conrad Thompson & Colt Cabana in a 3-Man booth--- anyone have any reports/thoughts on the topic?

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It will be interesting to see who AEW use for commentary considering the booth used for All In -- Don Callis, Excalibur & Ian Riccaboni. Considering Callis is heavily involved with Impact Wrestling backstage, Exacalibur being a founder of PWG & Riccaboni commentating for ROH I'm not sure if any/all of them will be available to move across.

Early reports said that Jim Ross was involved in this process --- but those reports are a few months old now, so that's only a possibility.

Conrad Thompson was the MC at the AEW Rally earlier this week and could be interested in transitioning his podcast work into an announcing booth role.

Personally I would really like to see Jim Ross, Conrad Thompson & Colt Cabana in a 3-Man booth--- anyone have any reports/thoughts on the topic?
Haven't heard anything apart from jim Ross. Wouldn't mine Conrad as a interviewer not a commentator. Didn't mind the guy who commentated the nwa title match at all in. Don't know his name

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
"The difference between WCW then and WWE now is that WCW had great wrestling in addition to great storylines and feuds. They worked within the rating to make an exciting, must see product that was filled from top to bottom with something for everyone. They had the nWo vs. WCW angle in the main event and midcard divisions. They had other great midcard wrestlers putting on great matches every week. And they had the cruiserweights who put on fast-paced, high-flying matches every week. Nobody worried about blood, swearing, sex, etc. in WCW because WCW had never been about those things, and they never pretended to be. So, their product was considered to be new and edgy without all the stuff that most WWE fans clamor for today. Today's WWE, on the other hand, focuses almost exclusively on their main event scene. Wrestlers seem like cookie cutter versions of each other. Their are very few unique "superstars" or storylines. Everything seems rehashed and done before. On top of that, the matches generally aren't very good. Plus, WWE became known for having violence and swearing and the like, and now they are trying to maintain that same "attitude" but don't deliver on the adult themes fans were once used to. Overall, WCW was exciting, new, and cutting edge in the 90s, while today's WWE is boring, old, and unoriginal."

Written 9 years ago :huh:https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100509074309AALYufp
Keep in mind the WWE in 1995 wasn't as big financially compared to now. Hell Impac tried to do the Monday night wars thing in 2010 and WWE was in a much better shape.

Again wcw in 1996-98 had decent talent everywhere on the card from the main even to the mid card to the lower card and the Cruiserweights.

To be fair is a live stream of something that was just a rally.

Some great signings, with more to come obviously.

MGM Grand is an interesting place for Double or Nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
It sure is interesting. Noticed double or nothing is in MGM grand in Las Vegas. Its where WCW did Halloween havoc from 1996-2000 and many WCW Monday nitro shows.

Someone on reddit claiming info

Show will be on tuesdays for 60-90mins on tnt

Few names in nxt have asked for deals worried they will get s**t runs on the main roster

At least one main event wwe talent is interested in joining

A bunch of mid to low card guys want into aew not happy with there spots
Guys named Anderson/gallows/chad gable

Marty scrull will join aew and not his mrs in wwe
Not Bad even its only 60 minutes each week on a Tuesday. 45 minutes of wrestling, 15 minutes of commercials.

WWE just keep proving to be stupider by the month especially with this signing, Jericho is exactly the type of personality that AEW needs and he will add so much.
Chris Jericho will add something. Jericho can work in any person on the card.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
According to Dave meltzer Alex marvez going to be one of the commentators

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

If Meltzer is spot on with the following, just wow:

- The WWE had offered Adam Page “main roster money” to be one of the top stars in NXT.

- The WWE had offered the Young Bucks & Cody Rhodes strong deals with the Bucks making similar money to AJ Styles. The Bucks contract also was to make “Being the Elite” a weekly show on the Network and it was for three-years with the option they could leave after six months if unhappy with their push. It was also said that the Young Bucks & Cody would have debuted at the Royal Rumble with a storyline through WrestleMania.

- It is believed that Omega already turned down a WWE deal and will sign with AEW on Feb-1 when his NJPW deal expires

If Meltzer is spot on with the following, just wow:

- The WWE had offered Adam Page “main roster money” to be one of the top stars in NXT.

- The WWE had offered the Young Bucks & Cody Rhodes strong deals with the Bucks making similar money to AJ Styles. The Bucks contract also was to make “Being the Elite” a weekly show on the Network and it was for three-years with the option they could leave after six months if unhappy with their push. It was also said that the Young Bucks & Cody would have debuted at the Royal Rumble with a storyline through WrestleMania.

- It is believed that Omega already turned down a WWE deal and will sign with AEW on Feb-1 when his NJPW deal expires

WWE must really suck with Big Money Offers getting Knocked Back

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
WWE must really suck with Big Money Offers getting Knocked Back
Look what theyve done with the talent that has come up from NXT.
Owens and Zayne have been ok but theyve basically killed all the others.

If the get the tv deal and have health cover there could be some very very interesting times in wrestling.

Look what theyve done with the talent that has come up from NXT.
Owens and Zayne have been ok but theyve basically killed all the others.

If the get the tv deal and have health cover there could be some very very interesting times in wrestling.

Guess them also Destroying Nakamura too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back