All Elite Wrestling

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A: Because the TV show hasn't started yet and like any business need to start promoting an already scheduled event to begin selling tickets.

Are you suggesting AEW's focus is promoting their PPV's rather than emphasising their TNT TV show?

By setting up a AEW title match for 9 weeks into the future via social media means that in the first month of AEW on TNT there is a pre-established 'top feud' based purely on the Win/Loss record philosophy, yet no storyline reason. It's bad story telling IMO. Cody has apparently 'earnt' a title show by defeating Dustin Rhodes [who is 50 years old and been a lower mid card wrestler in the WWE for the past 15-20 years], a time limit draw against a reasonably unknown Darby Allin, losing a tag match to The Young Bucks and defeating Shawn Spears [whose first appearance in AEW a few months before was being eliminated from an over the top battle royal by a guy with no legs] through interference by Arn Anderson. That record seems to suggest that Cody is a mid carder and not a genuine challenger for the AEW World title.

Cody is clearly a level below Jericho, Omega, Moxley & Pac.

In my opinion they could've started the Cody/Jericho build on the first TV show, given it a genuine storyline that made Cody appear to be a genuine challenger rather than the way he currently appears and still had enough time to promote AEW Full Gear-- especially as they've already got the rescheduled Omega/Moxley match for Full Gear already announced.

Are you suggesting AEW's focus is promoting their PPV's rather than emphasising their TNT TV show?

By setting up a AEW title match for 9 weeks into the future via social media means that in the first month of AEW on TNT there is a pre-established 'top feud' based purely on the Win/Loss record philosophy, yet no storyline reason. It's bad story telling IMO. Cody has apparently 'earnt' a title show by defeating Dustin Rhodes [who is 50 years old and been a lower mid card wrestler in the WWE for the past 15-20 years], a time limit draw against a reasonably unknown Darby Allin, losing a tag match to The Young Bucks and defeating Shawn Spears [whose first appearance in AEW a few months before was being eliminated from an over the top battle royal by a guy with no legs] through interference by Arn Anderson. That record seems to suggest that Cody is a mid carder and not a genuine challenger for the AEW World title.

Cody is clearly a level below Jericho, Omega, Moxley & Pac.

In my opinion they could've started the Cody/Jericho build on the first TV show, given it a genuine storyline that made Cody appear to be a genuine challenger rather than the way he currently appears and still had enough time to promote AEW Full Gear-- especially as they've already got the rescheduled Omega/Moxley match for Full Gear already announced.
Apart from the minor detail Cody has also won titles all over the world in recent years in Japan, NWA and ROH. Going by that record he's actually got the best record of any wrestler on the roster in terms of wins and loses over an extended period. Makes zero sense to refer to how Cod's below the level of Omega (with the losing streak), Pac (one match in total) or Ambrose (injured) by looking at AEW form as well. Since AEW started Cody hasnt lost a singles match and also gets the biggest pop from the crowd by far. He couldnt win with you anyway because if he'd dominated every match you'd be saying how the inmates are running the assylum, even though its been said multiple times in AEW interviews that Khan's the one signing off on who wins and loses every match.

Apart from the minor detail Cody has also won titles all over the world in recent years in Japan, NWA and ROH. Going by that record he's actually got the best record of any wrestler on the roster in terms of wins and loses over an extended period. Makes zero sense to refer to how Cod's below the level of Omega (with the losing streak), Pac (one match in total) or Ambrose (injured) by looking at AEW form as well. Since AEW started Cody hasnt lost a singles match and also gets the biggest pop from the crowd by far. He couldnt win with you anyway because if he'd dominated every match you'd be saying how the inmates are running the assylum, even though its been said multiple times in AEW interviews that Khan's the one signing off on who wins and loses every match.

I’m not saying that Cody shouldn’t be the number one contender I just feel that it’s a waste of future TV time and storytelling ability to announce it on social media two months ahead of time.

For the sake of the new audience Cody would be seen as a much bigger threat & a legitimate deal if he won a No. 1 contenders match on TV against one of the ‘bigger stars’ in AEW.

How good would it be for Cody & AEW if the main event of one of the early AEW on TV episodes was a No.1 contenders match between Cody v One of Omega/Moxley/PAC for the Full Gear PPV.

Yes I know they’ve announced to local markets they will have a No.1 contenders match and a championship match on those early episodes— but those matches mean less when fans already know Cody/Jericho is happening on PPV.

Yes I know they’ve announced to local markets they will have a No.1 contenders match and a championship match on those early episodes— but those matches mean less when fans already know Cody/Jericho is happening on PPV.

So let's not have Money in the Bank anymore because two other dudes are already in a championship match on the same card?

So let's not have Money in the Bank anymore because two other dudes are already in a championship match on the same card?

Are you being deliberately silly to try and disagree with me?

The MITB is the type of things we SHOULD have in wrestling as it builds up No.1 contenders, which is something I feel that AEW isn’t doing with Cody.

What I’m saying is it’s silly to do another No.1 contenders & title match on AEW tv between now & Full Gear because they’ve already announced the Full Gear title match.

Are you being deliberately silly to try and disagree with me?

The MITB is the type of things we SHOULD have in wrestling as it builds up No.1 contenders, which is something I feel that AEW isn’t doing with Cody.

What I’m saying is it’s silly to do another No.1 contenders & title match on AEW tv between now & Full Gear because they’ve already announced the Full Gear title match.
It's the same concept though. You can have a number 1 contender despite not knowing who the champion will be when the match comes. I suppose money in the bank was a silly example (& maybe just to disagree with you haha) but WWE do it all the time in have a number 1 contenders match when there is already another future championship match scheduled.
I don't think it takes anything from it. It's like saying I'm not as excited about the Pies being in the preliminary final because I don't know who we're playing yet.

As I said before the match was probably more than likely announced because the show itself already is and they need to start providing attractions to sell tickets in the maximum amount of time available, yet their tv show hasn't started yet to promote it. It's as simple as that. Now it can just work the other way. With the match already being announced Jericho & Cody have a pre existing reason to start coming at each other & building the story once tv starts rather than just inventing something like Jericho stealing Cody's lunch or something & making a championship match from that

It's the same concept though. You can have a number 1 contender despite not knowing who the champion will be when the match comes. I suppose money in the bank was a silly example (& maybe just to disagree with you haha) but WWE do it all the time in have a number 1 contenders match when there is already another future championship match scheduled.
I don't think it takes anything from it. It's like saying I'm not as excited about the Pies being in the preliminary final because I don't know who we're playing yet.

It’s more the equivalent of not being excited about the Pies being in the Prelim final If the AFL had already announced the Grand Final was between Richmond & Brisbane.

Makes whatever title match occur on TV look like it doesn’t really matter.

I understand the need to start promoting Full Gear to sell tickets to their next PPV— but I think the focus is the wrong way and it should be on delivering an exciting weekly product than hyping a PPV that’s 9 weeks away and hampers the storytelling ability on TV.

No different than how I think announcing The Fiend as the opponent of the winner of Rollins/Braun for the title at Hell in a Cell is a bad idea— Announcing the Fiend as the next opponent means the inevitable attack at the end of Clash of Champions wont be as hype as if it was a surprise.

What’s the point of even having a TV show if they are just going to announce the two biggest matches for their next PPV two months ahead of time on Twitter before the TV show starts

Maybe so they build toward it. Not a bad idea letting people know what will be on when you're trying to sell tickets for it either.

Seems like this is the commentary team for AEW on TNT
jr-tony.jpg

I'm optimistic. Shavonne is one of the best in the business but JR is soooo negative. That pic just sums up his commentary style. Sub in Excalibur for JR and they have the best team in the business.

Seems like this is the commentary team for AEW on TNT
jr-tony.jpg

I'm optimistic. Shavonne is one of the best in the business but JR is soooo negative. That pic just sums up his commentary style. Sub in Excalibur for JR and they have the best team in the business.
You do realise that due to his cerebral palsy he can't actually physically smile yeah?

You do realise that due to his cerebral palsy he can't actually physically smile yeah?

lol no s**t. Was a dig at his negativity when he commentates. Like I said I’m optimistic. I think they’ve got the potential to be amazing but JR just needs to either change his approach or make way for Excalibur.

lol no s**t. Was a dig at his negativity when he commentates. Like I said I’m optimistic. I think they’ve got the potential to be amazing but JR just needs to either change his approach or make way for Excalibur.
Just checking . You never can tell sometimes.

Excalibur is a good offsider and has potential to be a great one. They just need to get used to each other, with a tv show that'll happen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not saying that Cody shouldn’t be the number one contender I just feel that it’s a waste of future TV time and storytelling ability to announce it on social media two months ahead of time.

For the sake of the new audience Cody would be seen as a much bigger threat & a legitimate deal if he won a No. 1 contenders match on TV against one of the ‘bigger stars’ in AEW.

How good would it be for Cody & AEW if the main event of one of the early AEW on TV episodes was a No.1 contenders match between Cody v One of Omega/Moxley/PAC for the Full Gear PPV.

So the royal rumble winner should face a number one contender (ie Baron Corbin, Roman Reigns) a week before wrestlemania, in order to build suspense and uncertainty for that match? That is 3 months of knowing what that match is.

To an extent I agree that matches have to be built up, in order to generate interest. Cody getting the next title shot, makes a lot of sense, he has 2 wins and 1 draw, which is makes him a logical number 1 contender. This gives both Cody and Jericho time to build the match that will get bums in seats.

No different to Hogan vs Andre, where that was being built up 6 months out of Wrestlemania. No different to any other promotion really, as they are trying to get bums on seats to their big next event. If people don’t know what the matches are, it’s going to be a hard sell.

So the royal rumble winner should face a number one contender (ie Baron Corbin, Roman Reigns) a week before wrestlemania, in order to build suspense and uncertainty for that match? That is 3 months of knowing what that match is.

To an extent I agree that matches have to be built up, in order to generate interest. Cody getting the next title shot, makes a lot of sense, he has 2 wins and 1 draw, which is makes him a logical number 1 contender. This gives both Cody and Jericho time to build the match that will get bums in seats.

No different to Hogan vs Andre, where that was being built up 6 months out of Wrestlemania. No different to any other promotion really, as they are trying to get bums on seats to their big next event. If people don’t know what the matches are, it’s going to be a hard sell.

The Royal Rumble winner has won his match at the Royal Rumble and it's a logical storyline as to why he's the number No.1 Contender. So it's a completely illogical comparison.

Cody's just been given a title match based off his record-- he should have a storyline reason to be the No.1 Contender--- whether that's winning a No.1 Contenders match; beating an opponent of note [someone of a higher quality than Dustin Rhodes & Shawn Spears], or be put into that match by an authority figure on TV rather than via. Social media.

Such a good way to set up anjelico and Jack Evans screwing jungle Saurus somewhere over the vote loss and getting massive heat.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk

Either that or a feud with Private Party after what happened at All out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back