All Elite Wrestling (On FITE and ESPN)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
People weren’t tuning into the NWO or attitude era at never before seen numbers because they wanted better wrestling matches

One of the main reasons people stopped watching WCW was because of the NWO as it was overdone. . Nitro always started off with a cruiser weight match which featured the likes of Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Lance Storm, Eddie Guerro, Dean Melenko, Billy Kidman ect. So for some people that was a great start.

The attitude era, really kicked off towards the end of the New era, where initially you had Bret Hart, Shawn Micheals, Brian Pillman, Owen Hart, Steve Austin, Undertaker, The Rock and to a lesser extent Davey Boy Smith. guys that could put on a decent match. Smith and Hart sold out Wemberly stadium back in their 92 Summerslam match. Later on you had Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit. So while under Russo, yes there was a lot of car crash tv, inspired by Jerry Springer, but you also had your gems in their as well.

ULTIMATE_WARRIOR

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2009
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
St Kilda
One of the main reasons people stopped watching WCW was because of the NWO as it was overdone. . Nitro always started off with a cruiser weight match which featured the likes of Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Lance Storm, Eddie Guerro, Dean Melenko, Billy Kidman ect. So for some people that was a great start.

The attitude era, really kicked off towards the end of the New era, where initially you had Bret Hart, Shawn Micheals, Brian Pillman, Owen Hart, Steve Austin, Undertaker, The Rock and to a lesser extent Davey Boy Smith. guys that could put on a decent match. Smith and Hart sold out Wemberly stadium back in their 92 Summerslam match. Later on you had Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit. So while under Russo, yes there was a lot of car crash tv, inspired by Jerry Springer, but you also had your gems in their as well.

Um… Thanks for the history refresher

Nicho50

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I will take the super kicks, monkey flips and somersaults over Hogan’s get beat up, no sell, hulk up and big boot leg drop. Which is slightly better than Nash’s big boot, snake eyes and hair flip. Hall was the only decent wrestler of the three.

Cole I will grant you the super kicks, monkey flips and somersault, the other 2 are a totally different style. Perception is always in the eye of the beholder.
People weren’t tuning in for the match quality they were tuning in for the overall entertainment quality which these days is way way down.

Yeah Hogan and Nash were s**t in the ring but tell you what they are far more memorable than a CM Punk type.

One moment you're discussing 1992, the next you're talking about talent that arrived in 2000.

What happened in the 8 years in between?

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
I’ll just leave this here…

A one night ratings bump and diminishing returns since then. Has also put over zero younger wrestlers.

I get it though, he came back to the biggest offer going and seemingly got full creative control, and that's his prerogative. More power to him.

Mar 25, 2009
The Tower
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A one night ratings bump and diminishing returns since then. Has also put over zero younger wrestlers.

I get it though, he came back to the biggest offer going and seemingly got full creative control, and that's his prerogative. More power to him.

“Has put over zero younger wrestlers”

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Tell me you don’t watch without telling me you don’t watch…

I’m also interested to know how you know how much money he was offered.

What a post. 👍🏻

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Joker in the Women’s Owen Cup might be Maki Itoh, since she’s not sticking around for a post-show signing in TJPW (similar to AEW requesting Yuka), plus she has bookings in the US at the end of the month.
of the two, it'd make much more sense for it to be Yamashita who is coming over as well. She's not holding a title at the moment unlike Itoh so no politics and she could kill Baker with one skull kick and get heaps over, and then she can lose to Storm.

but it looks like it'll be Itoh, and I suppose she'll lose via shenanigans, and if Statlander loses to Red Velvet which makes sense for that whole story, we'll have the very fun thing of all 4 woman's matches having the better wrestler lose (plus Yuka not even getting that far). the least they could do is give me a joshi multiman match on Dynamite in the aftermath

Nicho50

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ll just leave this here…

There is no doubting Punk is popular and it was a welcome return but comparing CM Punk to Hulk Hogan or the NWO is laughable.

1000% better inside the ring but has had no where near the reach and effect on the industry the other guys did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 25, 2009
The Tower
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There is no doubting Punk is popular and it was a welcome return but comparing CM Punk to Hulk Hogan or the NWO is laughable.

1000% better inside the ring but has had no where near the reach and effect on the industry the other guys did.
Correct. No current wrestlers do. It’s a very different era.

of the two, it'd make much more sense for it to be Yamashita who is coming over as well. She's not holding a title at the moment unlike Itoh so no politics and she could kill Baker with one skull kick and get heaps over, and then she can lose to Storm.

but it looks like it'll be Itoh, and I suppose she'll lose via shenanigans, and if Statlander loses to Red Velvet which makes sense for that whole story, we'll have the very fun thing of all 4 woman's matches having the better wrestler lose (plus Yuka not even getting that far). the least they could do is give me a joshi multiman match on Dynamite in the aftermath
Miyu is still doing shows in Japan.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So who are the Jokers tomorrow? Really hoping we get Miro back.

I’d like it to be Miro, although if it was Cesaro, that would be awesome as well. I’d also be open for Davey Boy Smith jnr as well.

From the women, Ember Moon, would be my main preference. Although they could throw a swerve by making it Shida.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back