Prediction All Freo teams will sing the team song like the women within 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread's got me thinking - in my years of playing Aussie Rules and rugby as a woman, I think we always sung the song outside on the field (followed by in the changerooms and then the pub and the footpath and someone's backyard if we were particularly happy). What's with the guys singing in the changerooms? Weird.

I would love for the mens side to adopt it this season. I think it is a nod to the Womens team and their influence around the club.

Early days (maybe until the Connolly years..?) We started with the slow "Freo heave ho...Freo heave ho..Give 'em all the old Freo heave ho" before launching into the uptempo "Freo, way to go" bit

During last season I loved the Albany Shantymen song at Optus Stadium. And I was blown away by someone leading the chant:

I have been thinking how can we work something like that into our song and make it extra special almost like Nathan Lyon leading the Australian team song that could be passed down from player to player. Could we do something like:

Player X: 'We’re the rollers we’re the rockers'
ALL PLAYERS: 'We’re the mighty Freo Dockers'
PLAYER X: 'We’re gonna roll them and we’ll rock em'
ALL PLAYERS: 'We’re gonna send them to the bottom'

ALL PLAYERS FOR THE REST OF THE SONG:
'And if they get up we’ll do it again
The Dockers stop at nothing nothing

Freo Way to Go
Hit Em Real Hard
Send Them Down Below
Freo Give em The Old Heave Ho
We Are the Freo Dockers'

Thoughts?

Can’t agree more with the sentiments here. The girls rock it hard and with passion. They’ve always done this but my gut tells me that my buddy, the new skipper, had a hand in them doing the verse. Changing of the guard so to say.

I think the boys should start doing the verse when Brayshaw takes over as captain in the next couple years. New era, new song.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can’t agree more with the sentiments here. The girls rock it hard and with passion. They’ve always done this but my gut tells me that my buddy, the new skipper, had a hand in them doing the verse. Changing of the guard so to say.

I think the boys should start doing the verse when Brayshaw takes over as captain in the next couple years. New era, new song.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think Kara Antonio is on record saying she was a big fan of it (seemed to suggest it was her idea initially), but ultimately it was Hayley who got it through!

Been telling everyone I can for years that I've wanted them to do this. Please let it happen! :praying:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring back the Eskimo Joe song from the fan poll. I'm still dirty that lost after the club prematurely announced that it was leading the poll, causing the oldies to rally and vote against it

In other words, it lost the poll. It wasn't popular enough.

I voted for it too but I'm sure if we were looking at changes we could do even better than that now.

Last edited:
Bring back the Eskimo Joe song from the fan poll. I'm still dirty that lost after the club prematurely announced that it was leading the poll, causing the oldies to rally and vote against it

The problem was they gave you a choice between three songs and there was always going to be that group that loves the “way to go” cringe jingle.

oh god yes the song is shithouse, really flat listening to the boys having to sing that song, we need something new with some gusto you can really get behind. imagine singing that after a big final win...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back