Rumour All Gold Coast Rumour and Speculation Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the players he has to get past to get into the side, are all of similar age and development. It's not like a spot is just going to open up for him. So while he may be mroe versatile than all of them, they are all better at a single role.

Brown is 22, Reid is 21, Cloke is 23, Dawes is 22 - you would think Anthony needs to go past one of these 4 guys to get a regular game, especially given our defence also contains a bunch of other u25's + the 26 year old captain.

I think he would be a regular at several other AFL clubs, and after all he's a footballer who wants to play football. He would probably earn more $ and several other clubs also.

How many more years do you think The Anvil has left in him?

You have more control than me..
Fair enough..

Great news, is that to say we won't trade with them though..?
Are they not interested in any uncontracted players or not interested in any of our players full stop..?
Just our uncontracted players.

How many more years do you think The Anvil has left in him?

I was referring to N.Brown.

But in answer to your question, he is very durable. 200+ games for a 29 year old who has really only missed matches due to form, not injury. Probably 2 or 3?

As for Anthony, one thing that could favour him is the new 3 + Sub rule that is likely to come in.

He could be a good sub with his versatility.

Anyone else think Bluey doesn't want to poach any players from MM? He can have Iles, Stanley and maybe Cook but I don't think he will look at any top line players...

As for Anthony, one thing that could favour him is the new 3 + Sub rule that is likely to come in.

He could be a good sub with his versatility.

Great minds think alike, I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. Not sure how happy he'd be being the designated sub though.

Seems your salary cap breakdown was pretty accurate though Spicey, looks like it'll probably be the 7-8 players that have constantly been rumoured in the media and that'll be about it.
I always felt pretty comfortable we wouldn't lose anyone significant, hopefully people can stop fretting about Cloke now.

I have heard that the Swans and Richmond have sniffed around JA. Preference is to stay with the Pies , but obviously wants to be able to get a game.

The last part is more up to him improving his strength , agility and fitness base over a strong pre season IMO.

Would be zero chance that the GC never tried to approach Cloke.

I'm happy to believe Kirby. I assume Cloke has told them he's staying, so they're chasing nobody now.

Great minds think alike, I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. Not sure how happy he'd be being the designated sub though.

Seems your salary cap breakdown was pretty accurate though Spicey, looks like it'll probably be the 7-8 players that have constantly been rumoured in the media and that'll be about it.
I always felt pretty comfortable we wouldn't lose anyone significant, hopefully people can stop fretting about Cloke now.

Yeah, doubt Jack would be thrilled about that prospect.

I think it's safe to say that GC and the AFL have been desperate for signings, and probably offered Bock a large, temporary carrot to become a public convert - hence making it easier for others to do the same and also sending a message that if you get in now, you're more likely to get a large piece of the honey-pot. Get in now before all the moula is taken.

If the GC have 7-8 players, it's doubtful they have much left in the armoury.

I have heard that the Swans and Richmond have sniffed around JA. Preference is to stay with the Pies , but obviously wants to be able to get a game.

The last part is more up to him improving his strength , agility and fitness base over a strong pre season IMO.

I can see both going for Jack. The Tigers 2nd pick will be 28, Sydney's @36. Don't know if these picks would be around the money, maybe with a steak knife thrown in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see both going for Jack. The Tigers 2nd pick will be 28, Sydney's @36. Don't know if these picks would be around the money, maybe with a steak knife thrown in.

Knowing the strength of the draft I probably wouldn't accept a 2nd rounder. After pick 25 the strength of the draft starts to taper off a fair bit.

Pick 28 would be his trading value but I'd really try to sell him on the idea that if he does work hard over the offseason he can make it back into the side as a regular. I don't think it is beyond him at all.

He is more valueable than a 2nd round pick to us at this stage.

Why hasn't Cloke signed ?

GC looms large in the mirror for the Pies I think on Cloke.

I believe Cloke will stay as he has not given us any reason to think otherwise despite putting talks off until season's end.

I'll back you in too Kirby. If you are wrong though, many posters on here will come for you.

If the Swans are keen on JA and he wishes to leave, I'd prefer we had a straight player trade for Patrick Vezpremi. Obviously Hannebury would cost to much.

Vezpremi has played in the 2s alot this year but some of the AFL games I've seen him play over the past few years have been very good. He was a 1st round pick in 2007 I think. Pick 12/13???

If the Swans are keen on JA and he wishes to leave, I'd prefer we had a straight player trade for Patrick Vezpremi. Obviously Hannebury would cost to much.

Vezpremi has played in the 2s alot this year but some of the AFL games I've seen him play over the past few years have been very good. He was a 1st round pick in 2007 I think. Pick 12/13???

That deals favours Sydney. Jack is proven at the eltie level. Veszpremi is not (limited opportunities though).

I wouldn't be doing that deal.

Jack should be kept IMO.

Pat Vezpremi. Yes please!

He could be a gun, and he loves the Pies.

The downside is that he obviously suffers from attitude problems, has been teased all year on the emergency list for about 15 games and if Roos/Kirk can't coach the attitude out of him, I'm not sure we can either.

Perfectly happy to take the risk though, as the trade might wake him up a bit.

I believe Cloke will stay as he has not given us any reason to think otherwise despite putting talks off until season's end.

I'll back you in too Kirby. If you are wrong though, many posters on here will come for you.

I think actually the fact that his father manages his affairs and that we have discarded his two other brothers won't help keep him at Collingwood. If he has been offered a big sum of money i think he's gone! Especially since the Pies are trying to reduce his base salary and have performance based incentives, forcing him to earn his money, whereas at GC he would more than likely just get it for running around the ground

Do people generally agree with the idea of trying to hold the whole list together, or loading off some quality now for a good young pick who will be ready in a few years time?

I'm thinking here of a key forward prospect or ruck.

It would be great to hold the whole stable together, but the worry is a salary cap that bloats all at once and has people leaving anyway. In addition, you can understand that a footballer who is on the fringes and in and out the whole time might seek chances outside themselves.

It's a delicate thing managing the list and TPP.

I too have thought of the exact same thing OS.

It is a very delicate situation.

It's a matter of who you trade out to bring in another young player via the draft.

I'm really undecided on this type of notion.

I definitely wouldn't want to be losing someone like a Cloke who is key to our plans.

I too have thought of the exact same thing OS.

It is a very delicate situation.

It's a matter of who you trade out to bring in another young player via the draft.

I'm really undecided on this type of notion.

I definitely wouldn't want to be losing someone like a Cloke who is key to our plans.

Yeah, look I think Cloke is someone we don't want to lose. If he can get that kicking technique right he'll be a massive, massive force. That said, I don't think we want to overpay with Trav because that will have ramifications down the line.

But I'm thinking more along the lines of our back-line at the minute in terms of list management. Rambo, Goldy, Presti, Jack and Reid. Coming through is Keefe as well. Rambo probably the Presti replacement and Reid a lock as CHB, but you can't accomodate them all. Even with all busting their guts, it's a mathematical equation that all can't be accomodated.

The depth works okay for us, but not so well for the fringe dwellers. To hold fringe players without games requires at the very least more money, but that money is squandered by them playing half a season or more in the VFL.

By trading now for another pick or young player there is a/ a lower pay-scale, and b/. an expectation that they won't be playing for a few years so less likely to seek chances elsewhere.

The other prospect is to squeeze two excess players (say one tall defender and midfielder) into a very early pick or an elite player.

Hard to call.

Kpp generally take a while to come on and the problem with getting a good one now is the danger that they will come good on the back end of our "window" I think the first option would be to keep as much of the list together as possible. Even then I think the players that leave we should to the best of our ability try to get players who can come in and make an immediate impact as compensation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back