All hail Captain "Barra" Mundy - 8th captain of the Fremantle Dockers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought Mundy deserved a separate toast thread for being chosen the mighty Pav's successor by his peers and by the coaches.

Mundy has always been more a quiet achiever, a bullocking part of our midfield whose heroics are not quite as lauded by the media the same way Fyfe's flashier exploits are. His strength allows him to keep his feet and miraculously dish off the ball to an open teammate, and his classy ball use and decision making is elite.

But, just like Fyfe, Mundy has the ability to take the team by the scruff of its neck and drag us over the line, imposing his will on contests and handing the team back the ascendancy by his dominance at stoppages and centre bounces. His GF performance, dragging us back into the game almost singlehandedly, is a testament to this. He has been doing this consistently ever since. Apart from winning the Richmond game off his own boot last year, he was instrumental in quite a few of our close wins in the last two seasons. His last quarter in our first home game vs Port willed us home.

Deserving player to take up the mantle of leadership, and clearly has the respect and faith of the playing group.

Congrats, Barra! Big shoes to fill, but we have faith you're up to the challenge.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

Congratulations Barra, well deserved vote of recognition from your teammates.

My second son already proudly wears the number 16 on his jumper - need an autograph now!

Good thread, and the fact it has taken so long to create it is perhaps an indication that we all underate him. As it is he is sandwiched between two gods of our club, one in his twilight, the other still rising. But he sits comfortably there, and could well be at the club for another 4 seasons.

david-mundy-300x300.jpg
a898491c2978ac30c14e335df13b3c28
301495-4e83e4e0-1fc2-11e4-b035-3276a1bc3645.jpg
1437819160754.jpg
b8851152z.1_20150911151859_000_gunapq9h.4_1-1av50kc.jpg

His ability to "stop time" and effortlessly glide out of congestion without anyone laying a finger on him is every bit as good as Pendlebury's but you never really hear commentators gushing over him. Great player to watch and I'm excited to see whether his new responsibilities result in him finding yet another gear; he's old now in footy terms but he's noticeably improved every year since he started playing as a full time mid circa 2010. Might sound a little optimistic or even deluded but I reckon we're still yet to see his true potential.

btw hope he isn't really getting a haircut as I dig the golden locks and can't imagine him without em now.

He's come such a long way in the past few years and is a gun. He goes under the radar due to Fyfie, but he is one of the best midfielders around.

As someone who makes no secret of the fact I admire graceful athletes I've been a fan since I first saw him play.
I think what is remarkable about him which has been alluded to above is the fact he's just gotten better and better and continues to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was discussing with the missus earlier today how he was a deadset soft utensil & a seagull for his first 100 odd games, he's now 180 degrees from that.

Terrific player that leads by example every week.

Really happy. My impressions early of him were that his 16 wonderful possessions per game were good but not good enough. I was relieved when he knocked back offers to return to Melbourne 2 contracts ago, after investing so many games into him. I'm sure he's influenced many of our interstaters since. Great appointment to a loyal Freo player. Great choice.

I dont know if he'll go another gear, but extremely happy with the gear hes at now anyway. My favourite memory of his is his sidessteps in the Geelong elimination final to set up a Pav goal early.

I have lots of love for Mundy and I'm stoked for him to get the gig as captain.

I love his composure, his decision-making and his kicking. My only criticism is that I feel like he drifts in and out of games sometimes. Hopefully the responsibility of captain will see him in the game more and 2016 will be his best year ever.

Amazing where Mundy has come from. I always saw quality in him, even when people bemoaned his 'softness'. He just had those deep skills and footy smarts and was more athletic than many realised too. He's put it all together in recent years and that's great. But one thing I never expected was for him to be a captain - but good on him and I hope it brings the best out of him.

He's been a great person for our club, and like Pav before him, stood by us when the grass looked much greener in other parts including his (one time) home state. This will now be his finest chapter at Freo. Congrats to him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back