News All Hail our new Emperor - Mark Anderson

Remove this Banner Ad

If Kelly really had that kind of clout then why couldn't he get young Jake a spot on our rookie list ahead of Tony Armstrong?
You are assuming he would have wanted to or thought it appropriate. I heard him interviewed about this at the time. He said he was happy with the decision made by Collingwood not to father son him and why they made it. He didn't want to try and exert any influence based on what I could see.

Collingwood needs to appoint a hands off CEO in relation to the FD. I'm almost certain that Lethlean, like Pert before him, will feel a need to get involved in football matters because that's exactly what he was doing at the AFL. This move does not instill confidence in the quality of Murphy's "review"...
What have we actually gleaned from this review?

Interesting the reaction and consequences for him vs the consenting woman involved. She gets off with no criticism and keeps her job whilst he loses his job and has people against his employment regardless of whether he's the best or most qualified person for the job.

And no, I have a lot of issues with adultery, it tore parts of my extended family apart when I was younger, but frankly that has nothing to do with his qualifications or suitability for a job.
It is indeed, double standards.

If Kelly really had that kind of clout then why couldn't he get young Jake a spot on our rookie list ahead of Tony Armstrong?

I'd say it's because Ed probably doesn't have that much clout on drafting decisions. Kelly definitely has traction with regards to strategic decisions, IMO.

What have we actually gleaned from this review?

Only circumstantial evidence which people can twist to suit an opinion/ agenda. I do like the appointment of Longmuir though, but I'd like at least one more senior assistant and development coach.

Interesting the reaction and consequences for him vs the consenting woman involved. She gets off with no criticism and keeps her job whilst he loses his job and has people against his employment regardless of whether he's the best or most qualified person for the job.

And no, I have a lot of issues with adultery, it tore parts of my extended family apart when I was younger, but frankly that has nothing to do with his qualifications or suitability for a job.

The issue was always about the power differential between the parties rather than 2x individuals getting it on.

Fortunately I've never worked under a CEO that would micro manage the way Pert did. I honestly have to wonder how he did it and survived in the role so long? The three CEO's I've worked for just didn't have the time to invest in that stuff and the fourth definitely won't. Sure they'd all receive reports and briefings, but it just wasn't feasible for them to be as involved as Pert was.

When you look at it holistically it makes sense that he was overlooked for other roles that he applied for and that revenue stagnated. The CEO role to me is to ensure the overall health of the club is maintained and the club realises continuos growth. Pert really came across as a guy that wanted to be a football operations manager, but wasn't prepared to take the haircut, salary wise, in order to take on the role officially. The end result was a shadow footy ops manager that ran Walsh out of town so no wonder he went within 12 months of Walsh returning. Someone raised a good point in the trade or draft thread that it appears the leaks have stopped over the past two months too.

If it does go to Lethlean I worry, but you could be right the moves in the FD could be designed with a different style of CEO in mind. In the end I'd sell my soul to get my hands on the reports were conducted!
Again I can’t speak specifically about Pert but the CEO I worked for also had GMs that had similar management styles. It’s actually not surprising that they have success because they can 100% guarantee that their vision is implemented and they are incredibly smart people which is why they are in the position in the first place. The real problem with a micro managing leader is the organisation tends to stagnate and become inefficient and good people are lost as they seek positions in organisations that will let them have responsibilities and therefore grow.

Looking specifically at Pert, and bare in mind this is purely an external view, I think he largely survived because of Geoff Walsh who is the opposite of a micro manager. While he was in charge people within the FD were able to do the jobs they were hired to do. We also struck me as a strong personality that could stand up to Pert. Then you look at who we’ve had since then. Eade appeared to be a micro manager at least in the coaching area as he didn’t seem to be able to step back from coaching, Pert took over the FD himself on an interim basis when Eade left, Balme wasn’t so much a yes man, but he didn’t seem too have the strong personality to take Pert on, and Gubby was a definite micromanager, look at how he seemed to marginalise Hine & his team through the trade and free agency period. It’s no wonder that we stagnated which I think is a good way to describe our last few years. If you stay still in this game other teams will go past you but we haven’t actually been in free fall.

Last edited:
Again I can’t speak specifically about Pert but the CEO I worked for also had GMs that had similar management styles. It’s actually not surprising that they have success because they can 100% guarantee that their vision is implemented and they are incredibly smart people which is why they are in the position in the first place.

It doesn't have to be that way to achieve a positive outcome. IMO there's a huge difference between a manager being detail oriented and telling direct reports how to do their job in minute detail (what I take to be a micro manager), versus a manager being detail oriented and making direct reports accountable for minute detail.

I also find that very good managers are masters the art of when to get involved in the detail and when not to.

The real problem with a micro managing leader is the organisation tends to stagnate and become inefficient and good people are lost as they seek positions in organisations that will let them have responsibilities and therefore grow.

Also micro managing doesn't scale - An organisation being micro managed is very limited to what they can achieve.

A wholistic question to you both. Do you think Pert was successful in the role?

Looking at the length of his tenure I see the early years as productive, but at least partly built on the foundation that was established by Swan and Arocca. The latter years were as you put it babylove stagnant.

Despite adding the revenue stream through the Glasshouse club revenue has not grown in the past 6 years. The strength of the business and brand is still roughly at the same level as 2010 and membership numbers are similar with revenue downward trending. We had the Star debacle, culture issues, magpie millions and we leaked stories like a sieve under his watch. From my perspective the only success we've had in the past 5 years was the AFLW franchise (though that's only pondering whilst writing this post). Basically if we had the resources of North or the Bulldogs what sort of shape would we be in? Dollar for dollar are we outperforming any club league wide? Are we the benchmark in any one area currently?

Perhaps I'm clouded by the mediocrity of the club on field currently and his grandiose statements about challenging for flags, but it does feel like we squandered a potential golden era on his watch. Think of it similar to the Roos in the 90's when they made 8 prelims in a row, but didn't really cash in from it. In one year Richmond are now ahead and should they go all the way are shoe ins for 80k members in 2018. Could we fill the G in a Prelim v GWS? It's just frustrating.

A wholistic question to you both. Do you think Pert was successful in the role?

Looking at the length of his tenure I see the early years as productive, but at least partly built on the foundation that was established by Swan and Arocca. The latter years were as you put it babylove stagnant.

Despite adding the revenue stream through the Glasshouse club revenue has not grown in the past 6 years. The strength of the business and brand is still roughly at the same level as 2010 and membership numbers are similar with revenue downward trending. We had the Star debacle, culture issues, magpie millions and we leaked stories like a sieve under his watch. From my perspective the only success we've had in the past 5 years was the AFLW franchise (though that's only pondering whilst writing this post). Basically if we had the resources of North or the Bulldogs what sort of shape would we be in? Dollar for dollar are we outperforming any club league wide? Are we the benchmark in any one area currently?

Perhaps I'm clouded by the mediocrity of the club on field currently and his grandiose statements about challenging for flags, but it does feel like we squandered a potential golden era on his watch. Think of it similar to the Roos in the 90's when they made 8 prelims in a row, but didn't really cash in from it. In one year Richmond are now ahead and should they go all the way are shoe ins for 80k members in 2018. Could we fill the G in a Prelim v GWS? It's just frustrating.
Overall I would say yes Pert was successful in the role (as was my former CEO). If you look at where the club is now compared to where we were when he started we are definitely in a stronger position. I don’t believe that Pert failed, but I do think he was in the position too long, though I get why. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that he remained in the position for the completion of the Glasshouse project and the launch of the AFLW and Netball teams (he wanted to see out those projects that probably started before the turbulence in the FD started) and was moved on not long after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall I would say yes Pert was successful in the role (as was my former CEO). If you look at where the club is now compared to where we were when he started we are definitely in a stronger position. I don’t believe that Pert failed, but I do think he was in the position too long, though I get why. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that he remained in the position for the completion of the Glasshouse project and the launch of the AFLW and Netball teams (he wanted to see out those projects that probably started before the turbulence in the FD started) and was moved on not long after.

This is probably where my POV diverts.

If we actively sought a Netball franchise I find it too difficult to acknowledge he was successful overall. However if our hands were tied around the funding of the Glasshouse re-development and the contracts are short term meaning we can either partner up with say a University/ private ownership or pull out in the medium to long term it softens the blow. It would explain it just being dumped on us, but that doesn't make it right, IMO.

Unfortunately in terms of strategic management decisions that one, to me at least, was as poor as dumping Adidas for Star. I do think diversifying and adding revenue streams is good practice, but professional organisations that devote themselves to running a Netball franchise struggle to make profits and do so on the back of Jnr participation so what hope does a football club have?

Why would she get criticism? She's the subordinate, the issue is about the power imbalance between a superior and subordinate, the potential for coercion and how that can impact the business.

Given that she did not raise a complaint, I think he was treated harshly, it could have been handled differently, perhaps have a policy to manage interpersonal relationships, or maybe such a policy existed and he circumvented it, hard to judge without knowing all the facts.

Nonetheless if we do appoint him I hope his mind is on the job, and not caught on the job. :)

Why would she get criticism? She's the subordinate, the issue is about the power imbalance between a superior and subordinate, the potential for coercion and how that can impact the business.

Given that she did not raise a complaint, I think he was treated harshly, it could have been handled differently, perhaps have a policy to manage interpersonal relationships, or maybe such a policy existed and he circumvented it, hard to judge without knowing all the facts.

Nonetheless if we do appoint him I hope his mind is on the job, and not caught on the job. :)
No, as you said, she didn’t raise a complaint. It was about the fact he was married and how it affected the image of the AFL. If he wasn’t married nobody would have given two shits that a couple of people at the office did the dirty.

This is probably where my POV diverts.

If we actively sought a Netball franchise I find it too difficult to acknowledge he was successful overall. However if our hands were tied around the funding of the Glasshouse re-development and the contracts are short term meaning we can either partner up with say a University/ private ownership or pull out in the medium to long term it softens the blow. It would explain it just being dumped on us, but that doesn't make it right, IMO.

Unfortunately in terms of strategic management decisions that one, to me at least, was as poor as dumping Adidas for Star. I do think diversifying and adding revenue streams is good practice, but professional organisations that devote themselves to running a Netball franchise struggle to make profits and do so on the back of Jnr participation so what hope does a football club have?

You and I are going to disagree on the netball franchise. The fact is that Netball is far more lucrative than the AFLW financially speaking. The Netball team would already be generating it’s own revenue and there is already enough money in Netball to take it semi professional. You don’t get that off grass roots participation, you get that from fan engagement with the top league,which entices more lucrative sponsorships and broadcast deals. You only need to look at fan attendance around the SNL too see that.

Bottom line is Netball is less of a risk than the AFLW team for which fans have not had to pay for any involvement to date. The entirety of the revenue is from goodwill sponsorship. But it is entirely dependent on the revenue from the men’s program to survive. And I dare say that our AFLW & Netball programs did indeed play a key part in the funding we received for the Glasshouse redevelopment.

Lethlean.
I'm not doubting his ability.
Let's just hope that the decision is a measured one and not just another Trump like reactionary captains pick.
If you want to make political comparisons, only halfwit Liberal leaders make "Captains Picks" of equally imbecilic halfwits.

Trump is too stupid to understand the concept.

In hindsight granted now,
But I thought she (ex Hawk CEO) came across as very haughty.

Can you imagine this board melt if we appointed our new CEO and it went sour in a few months?

Looks like they erred with the appointment but they recognised it and acted quickly. That actually is the sign of a well run organisation that can admit error. Their test is to get it right this time. You wouldn't want to make an error with such an important position again, particularly with a few other exits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back