News All Hail our new Emperor - Mark Anderson

Remove this Banner Ad

If Collingwood had won four Premierships since 2008 then we would probably forgive our board for bringing in a procession of Warwick Capper, Mark Jackson and Sam Newman to run the joint.

Yeah maybe, but there are different people there now.

The Hawks board on Bigfooty certainly didn't sound happy about it when I was reading yesterday - they didn't sound as forgiving as some on here.

... but Hawthorn? Heck, if they chose Humphrey B Bear to be their CEO nobody would begrudge them for that.
considering Humphrey B Bear never wore pants, them potentially getting Simon Lethlean means the analogy is very apt. :D

Yes the Hawks absolutely got this one wrong. Sometimes it pays not to be politically correct. I'm not surprised at all that her tenure was short given her early press conferences. Just didn't feel right and I couldn't see Clarko and her getting on.

But again the beauty of a professionally managed club like Hawthorn is once a mistake is made, they clean it up immediately and move forward.
And all their revenue from pokies?
The family club?

Hmmmmmmm

I wonder what plan b is if Lethlean joins a different club? It may mean we broaden our horizons and look outside the AFL fishbowl.
There's a lady available.
From a cycling background.
Even went through the Hawthorn system, under Clarko!

A must get?

(I'll see myself out now)

If Collingwood had won four Premierships since 2008 then we would probably forgive our board for bringing in a procession of Warwick Capper, Mark Jackson and Sam Newman to run the joint.
We haven't even won 4 since 1958! We've had a few stubborn administrations over the years. You could be onto something though. The NEW New Magpies.

View attachment 423737

Caro in today's Age.

1. Thank God the Board has told Ed a proper recruitment process is required - hope he knows what that means.

2. Who told Caro what the Board told Ed?
If that is true and I hope it is then finally, FINALLY I have reason for some optimism.

If it is true that board has not bowed down to Ed then I have belief that the Collingwood FC is back and the EMNB FC is out and maybe just maybe Nathan has been told also that it won't be all his own way, we're bringing in quality for the FD and they must have some say and no more my way or the highway bucks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old friend of yours? :D

Question for the masses. How does Murphy staying on in the role sit? IDK about everyone else, but I'm really enjoying the lack of leaks from within the club and Murphy projects as a corporate CEO that will stay well clear of the FD.

I understand that there'll be a stigma associated to going with the guy that conducted the review, but he's clearly capable and that's all that should matter surely. Especially when you take into account the most likely candidate is Lethlean. I'm sure he's a reasonable operator, but that would be such an incestuous move, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for the masses. How does Murphy staying on in the role sit? IDK about everyone else, but I'm really enjoying the lack of leaks from within the club and Murphy projects as a corporate CEO that will stay well clear of the FD.

I understand that there'll be a stigma associated to going with the guy that conducted the review, but he's clearly capable and that's all that should matter surely. Especially when you take into account the most likely candidate is Lethlean. I'm sure he's a reasonable operator, but that would be such an incestuous move, IMO.

I think having Murphy assume the CEO role permanently will only fuel the theory that Ed has given another job to a mate.
Even if it isn't the case, it will be perceived that way. Personally I think if the CEO does a decent job & doesn't blab to the media & keeps us in the black, then I don't care who it is to be honest.

I think having Murphy assume the CEO role permanently will only fuel the theory that Ed has given another job to a mate.
Even if it isn't the case, it will be perceived that way. Personally I think if the CEO does a decent job & doesn't blab to the media & keeps us in the black, then I don't care who it is to be honest.

I feel you. I would just hope we aren't overthinking it due to external perceptions. I did get a chuckle out of the mod edit too. Wow really petty from one of the mods there...

Like Kirby this new mantra of not flapping your gums to the media about our players is a welcome change. For that alone Murphy is already ahead of Pert, IMO.

Last edited:
Not sure who that is but it's not RoCo Rohan Connolly - his Twitter handle is @rohan_connolly
That’s old mate Rohan Coventry-Tateson. Not worth listening to, at all, ever.

Can someone clear this up for me? I have noticed everyone saying there’s been no leaks from the club ever since pert left? I’m not from Melbourne so I don’t hear as much of the rumour mill so I’m a little oblivious. I know pert was the one around saying pies and afl have a drug issue, but where has the talk about perts big mouth come from? Is he well known to leak all info and if so what were his motives??

Posting here as thread has "Emperor" in title. Kennett back as Hawk's president - did they follow proper process? - :) - :)

If they want Pert as CEO - no need for process, go for it

So do people still believe the Hawks handled this appropriately?

CEO sacked, President resigned and another board member resigned. Yeah, but let's pat them on the back for handling it "quickly". If this happened at Collingwood this board would implode.

Kennett is now back too, despite him saying that his time was up.

Joel, can't you see the difference in people taking responsibility?

The president resigns taking responsibility for board decisions. FMD could you ever contemplate Eddie doing that? After apointing Cooper? Losing $12m+ on the pubs? Trying to run the joint from Sydney? Moving Eugine off the board into a paid gig and then axing him, blaming him for the pubs while Eddie was in Sydney for, what, a year and a bit? The coaching succession? I could go on but what would be the point!

It certainly looks like Hawthorn have some off field issues. It's 2 years since they won 3 flags on the trot and they've had a very stable and successful off field team for a long time. Whether they have or will quickly resolved their problems remains to be seen. Kennett is only acting president - its a member elected board role.

More importantly, none of what happens at Hawthorn changes Collingwood. If they are no longer the benchmark then sobeit. We still need to be the best which we clearly are not.

Posting here as thread has "Emperor" in title. Kennett back as Hawk's president - did they follow proper process? - :) - :)

If they want Pert as CEO - no need for process, go for it
The process is to come. You don't hire presidents they are appointed form elected board members and its an honorary position. The members need to ratify it and the board members at most clubs have to be club members which limits the field for board members and therefore presidents. That is the process. It is very different from a CEO or even a coaching appointment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back