Employment All new South Australian teachers will need Master degrees in shake-up of educa

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
http://mobile.news.com.au/national/...cation-standards/story-fnii5yv4-1226768270969

Thoughts?

Seems fairly excessive to me and probably more to do with AEU being able to negotiate higher pay in 2015. I would have thought demanding higher entrance scores for those completing a bachelor of education would be a better way of increasing standards.

I don't think it will work and I think it will get ditched after a couple of years because of the down turn in people wanting to be teachers. If you make it too hard people will drop out. We all know masters is for people who get a certain academic score. I know the AEU supporters it now but it wont as soon as the current crop of teachers are bullied and victimised out of schools because they don't have this degree. I am taking up this degree too next year. I guess I better do the masters now! Its ok for me though because I haven't been employed in the industry for 20+ years. Besides are they trying to tell everyone that over educated people are better teachers. What ever happened to life experience.

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/...cation-standards/story-fnii5yv4-1226768270969

Thoughts?

Seems fairly excessive to me and probably more to do with AEU being able to negotiate higher pay in 2015. I would have thought demanding higher entrance scores for those completing a bachelor of education would be a better way of increasing standards.

I dunno what the supply/demand balance is for teachers is in SA, but there was an article in one of the Sydney papers last week that quoted figures of 6,000 teaching graduates each year competing for 2,000 NSW places.

If that's accurate, why not raise the bar a bit?

I dunno what the supply/demand balance is for teachers is in SA, but there was an article in one of the Sydney papers last week that quoted figures of 6,000 teaching graduates each year competing for 2,000 NSW places.

I have no problem with making it harder for potential students to study teaching. I think they should only have a certain number of places available each year like medicine etc. What I worry about though is the current teachers who do not have a masters. Will they start being victimised by the schools and made to look second rate. Good teachers don't necessarily come with a better education either.

Like I said, reduce the placements and increase the entrance score requirements.

Teachers have the highest entry level earnings to entrance score ratio by some margin, I think that's the issue. Reduce the number of places and increase the entrance score requirements.

Going to university for 6 years shouldn't be a pre-requisite to teach the times tables.

in the olden days (say the '70's) a Masters degree was what you needed to teach at a university. Now looking back at all the teachers I've had...there were plenty who were unlikely to read a book let alone be able to write one. I suspect that will be the case for many of these "masters." (Masters of what exactly...could they apprentice a young Michelangelo? Could they explain to young Heisenberg where he might have got it wrong? Should they be consulted on matters of international importance?) It's rampant degree inflation from the industry most absorbed with that bullshit. "Hey if 13 years of this stuff is good then 20 years must be great!" Fools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back