Toast All-Stars Box Hill Hawks team

Remove this Banner Ad

Formal announcement

The team I submitted still differed on nearly every line.
Coach: Carroll
Captain:
Mirra
Backline: suckling , mirra, duryea
Half back line: litherland, Baird, firrito
Centre: Gibson, Brewer, whitecross
Half forward line: ball, alleway, pugsley
Forward line: height, grimley, Kenna
Followers: Lowden, Mitchell, iles
Interchange: O’Donnell, Pedersen, Sewell, Kennedy
23rd player: brolic

Did anyone else enter? I guess its probably judged on players in the 22, rather than where you put them.

Entries were scored as follows:
2 points for naming correct player
2 points for naming player in correct position (left or right is interchangeable)
4 points for naming correct coach
4 points for naming correct captain
The maximum score was 100 points.

A week before the team was announced there were only around 45 entries which I thought was disappointing. I thought a lot more supporters would have entered the competition to showcase their selection expertise. The chance to win a jumper and attend the luncheon was a bonus. The jumper looks great.

A few BHH boys in Paul Amy's top 50 VFL players since 2000

30. Sam Iles, Tasmania/Collingwood/Gold Coast/Box Hill Hawks: the Tasmanian had a bouncy football career, playing for Collingwood and Gold Coast in the AFL and for four clubs in the VFL. Running and linking and forever creating, he was a star of the state league, winning the Suns’ VFL best and fairest and twice topping the count at Box Hill. He also played in the Hawks’ 2013 premiership.

23. Sam Gibson, Box Hill Hawks: another mature-age, second-chance VFL success story. Ditched as a Hawthorn rookie, Gibson stayed with the Hawks, developed elite endurance, won a best and fairest in good company in 2011 and was drafted to North Melbourne, playing more than 100 AFL matches on the reel.

16. David Mirra, Box Hill Hawks: like James Podsiadly and Ian Callinan, mid-sized defender Mirra earned a call-up to the AFL when he was closer to 30 than 20, after years of excellence in the VFL. His 11 AFL games with Hawthorn set the seal on a career that brought him the 2013 and ’18 premierships, a Norm Goss Medal, two Box Hill best and fairests, and multiple team-of-the-year honours. Last year the club named an All Star team to celebrate the 20th year of its alignment with Hawthorn. Mirra was named captain and was presumably the first player picked.

4. John Baird, Box Hill Hawks/Port Melbourne: after two years as a Hawthorn rookie, Baird was drafted to North Melbourne after winning the 2001 Norm Goss Medal as a Box Hill Hawk. He played 46 games for the Roos, mainly as a defender. Linking with Port in 2006, Baird gradually made the move from backline to the midfield, where he achieved greatness in the VFL. There was little pace to him, but he read the play easily and used the ball with a craftsman’s care. He won two best and fairests for the Borough, captained them through their remarkable undefeated season of 2011, and finished with 206 VFL matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back