All teams will pay Essendon's legal fees

Remove this Banner Ad

because in the end, its about equalisation. If Essendon use up all their funds on lawyers to take the AFL to court, the AFL will end up bailing them out when they are broke. Ridiculous situation. The other 17 teams need to step in. This is going to be an unbelievable waste of money, and simply an attempt to get the players off on a technicality. Why not just let their cases be heard individually and see if they are guilty? Is that far too simple?

I dont see the other clubs agreeing to chip in for Essendons fees. Especially if they are taking on the league in court.

Its inevitable. If they dont have enough money to run their club due to legal fees, they will be helped by equalisation. Whether its next year, 2016, 2017 or 2018, it will happen.

We won't just pay the legal fees (since the AFL can't let Essendon fold) but we will also have to help out to get Essendon competitive on the field again.

exactly. just like your own club :)

exactly. just like your own club :)

i wonder if players are basically paying the club too. essendon agrees to pay the fees, loses, players sue and amount the original amount gets deducted from players' payoffs. win-win, as much as it can be under circumstances, for essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon have substantial investments, that was one of the criticisms of the Flight Plan that they were asking members to fund something when they had substantial funds they simply didnt want to spend. Those investments would be liquidated before the other clubs need to chip in via equalisation, in effect it would mean the entire EFC financial base was destroyed and I doubt anything short of a decade long losing legal fight could do that. Thats my understanding of their finances anyway.

I'm sure insurance policies have clauses guaranteeing payouts for players who have been given banned substances.
Because that is the kind of smart move insurance companies do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back