Toast All the best Will Langford

Remove this Banner Ad

A little strange.

Looking at his career it was a little strange 2.

He's 2014 last 5 weeks of footy was legendary beyond belief almost.

The rest of his career was generally very average.

Weird cat overall but I love him as he's a hawthorn premiership player and in the prelim that year he turned selwood into Roberto Duran no mas, no mas will I can't run with u. (Probably only boxing fans understand this)

Goodbye, good luck, thankyou.

2014 finals series was sensational. The classic underdog who was able to turn it on whilst on the biggest stage. He was determined that he was going to have a fair crack at it and it happened for him. Love that character.

Respect for Will and the way he's handled things. And respect for not only his performance in that finals series, but being a part of the club during this golden era. All the best for the future too.

Great Hawthorn man.
Thanks for your passion , and could have won that Norm Smith.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will never forget 'that goal' from the pocket in the 2014 GF. Arms raised right in front of the Swans faithful. They were destroyed. I froze frame it to see each and every one of their destroyed and broken expressions. It was a catharsis for me that moment.

I have always wanted to buy a high quality print / photo of this. Never bought anything like that before.

Anyone with tips, could you please PM me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always remembered him for riling up mcveigh with an inocous kiss on the cheek.

So true. Brought out the homophobia in the old boy commentators too.

AFL was very happy to have Jones' comment swept under the rug.

For those bitching about him post 2014. Shows how spoiled we are. Wont find too many Dogs fans upset at Boyd. His 2016 GF was of similar level as Langford. And foe that he will be long revered.

Played with massive heart and desperation, that if we had 21 others matching, we'd be seeing September action every year.

Can hang up the boots proudly. Pretty close to a football fairytale, just cut a little short.

All the best with life Will.

What a legend- peaked in the grand final and is going out bleeding Hawthorn and wouldn’t have it any other way.
Underrated in the sense that when he was fit he always gave his all and threw himself at the ball.
Will always love him for his finals series 2014, but he’s gone up a notch higher in my books by not even looking at another club. Good luck with the rest Langers.

Could not agree more! I'm a romantic, I love father son's and players with a family connections (Scrimshaw & Morrison) they tend to play with ever greater drive & passion. Not all go on to achieve as long a career as hoped, but that's life, you never know how long you get. I was going through an awful time September 2014, Langers & Spanger gave me such joy for an unforgettable month! Thanks Will your goals were sublime. It's disappointing it couldn't last longer, especially since injury often stymied, what was a huge drive to succeed. In the nineties you could have been a gun, in the 2000's you were a star! Thanks for everything mate go forth and conquer, in years to come you could well run the league.

You did something many only dream of, dominated a final series & helped write more of your families fabulous legacy!

Does anyone know if his younger brother is a footballer? Or is his passion elsewhere?

Look forward to him chairing the AFL Commission at some point in the future.

One of the few guys out there that knows he doesn't need AFL level footy to achieve his lot in life. Intelligent, and by all accounts pretty funny bloke too. All the best to him.

As to those saying that he never lived up to 2014 again. He's far from the only Hawthorn player in our illustrious history to only have a single purple patch, but for some reason we are harder on him than others. Paul Dear, Paul Abbott, Stuart Dew just to name three. Played big games on the biggest day, but we don't put and * next to their name and s**tcan for not doing that all the time. Strange that Will copped it more than others. He got the absolute most out of his ability. The majority of the population, me included, cannot say the same.

Best number 29 since Russell Greene :)

Dew was good all year really. Did the role we wanted. He just happened to go utterly bananas on grand final day.

Good excuse to post some great highlights

Favourite goal of Will's during the 2014 grand final..... and also in my top 3 goals of the Hawthorn 3peat era :D

I also enjoyed when he embarrassed the mighty Catters!!

Glad someone popped this up - obviously the GF was great but I felt his work vs. Geelong was pretty fundamental to our season.

Not to mention some of the best commentary ever. "Cats with the saggy heads" and "The Double Cobra!"

Last edited:
For five games in 2014, Will Langford breathed rarified air as a footballer. I doubt any of us will forget that, and his incredible kamikaze attack on the football.

It's a testament to his drive, tenacity and character that he lasted as long as he did at the HFC without being blessed with the requisite tools of the modern, Hawthorn footballer.

That's a compliment too, because Clarko is a hard marker. Will survived on his courage and the size of his heart as much as he did anything else.

One of my favourite all time players. Clearly too smart for football and especially to waste his time at Hawthorn. Unfortunately another victim of Hawthorn not willing to give players a chance and ultimately ruined his career.
All the best Will off to bigger and better things. Still think you were robbed for the 2014 norm smith

One of my favourite all time players. Clearly too smart for football and especially to waste his time at Hawthorn. Unfortunately another victim of Hawthorn not willing to give players a chance and ultimately ruined his career.
All the best Will off to bigger and better things. Still think you were robbed for the 2014 norm smith
How did they ruin his career?

Please, that's just drinking the cool aid. The club would have discussed with him that he would not be getting games in 2019 so he's decided to move on with his life 12 months earlier rather than wasting the year. No other club would pick him up, he'd have been delisted 2 years ago if it were not for the long-term contract.

As I said, he will be fondly remembered for his awesome 2014 finals series and managed to get a long-term deal on the back of it but beyond that one month he is a 26 year old who has been very ordinary for a long time.

The shitty bit was about trading him 4 years ago.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back