Game Day All things 2020 GF

Worst season ever ends with the best team winning. Not sure if that's vindication or not. But whatever the case, I hope footy is better in the next decade because Covid-19 or not, and well done to the AFL for getting something done, but that was 7 months of crap.

It won't be.

The AFL have no idea how to intervene to create a more aesthetically pleasing game. Many pundits declare that the game is in a really bad way. I mean throwing is abundant, every team is going to play ugly serge footy. You only need to look at how often the ball is kicked off the ground. This used to be something that, sure, happened but was viewed as not preferred.

But none of that matters.

How many viewers watched yesterday? Heaps. Meaning it actually doesn't matter what the state of the game is people, lots of people, watch it. And that's what matters to the AFL because it's a business and the dollar rules.

I watched 1 final this year. Mainly because I wanted to see how Simmo went.

I'm at a point where if it's not North I don't care and how we've been playing is hardly compelling viewing.

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Richmond well and truly the better team with a better team brand than Geelong. Deserved winners. But can you think of a great team that has been better blessed with a lack of injury?

jaspers_barber

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sacrifice needed by Cats last night.

Menegola. Everywhere Dusty goes you follow him.
My belief is only Start Nullifying when your best troops are in the middle and aren’t cutting the mustard.

What was wrong with “Me-Time” Dangerfield that he couldn’t put himself in the middle? Put it down to his own selfishness or Scott’s stupidity! I’m going with the former...

Dusty lifted his team and turned the game. Dangerflog sat in the goal square trying not to trip over his bottom lip. That’s the game right there!

It won't be.

The AFL have no idea how to intervene to create a more aesthetically pleasing game. Many pundits declare that the game is in a really bad way. I mean throwing is abundant, every team is going to play ugly serge footy. You only need to look at how often the ball is kicked off the ground. This used to be something that, sure, happened but was viewed as not preferred.

But none of that matters.

How many viewers watched yesterday? Heaps. Meaning it actually doesn't matter what the state of the game is people, lots of people, watch it. And that's what matters to the AFL because it's a business and the dollar rules.

I watched 1 final this year. Mainly because I wanted to see how Simmo went.

I'm at a point where if it's not North I don't care and how we've been playing is hardly compelling viewing.
I thought the game was alright actually. It was very good footy.

That surge footy of Richmond's actually reminds me of us in the 90s in some ways. It's about the intent to get the ball, and game momentum going your way at all costs. I love the way the Tigers take every opportunity to attack.

It's frustrates the s**t out of me that we don't do it at all, let alone at every opportunity.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I enjoyed the game, it was wet and that goes someway to explaining the style played. yes the ball is thrown a lot and I wish they'd clamp down on that.

What impressed me was the way the Tigers went about it. Sheesh they know when to go the ball, when to back off, they rarely overcommit. Some of their field kicking was excellent and they keep their feet.
We could learn a lot from them.

Can't stand Geelong for oh so many reasons it would take me a month to post them all. Hope they do fall away next year.

My belief is only Start Nullifying when your best troops are in the middle and aren’t cutting the mustard.

What was wrong with “Me-Time” Dangerfield that he couldn’t put himself in the middle? Put it down to his own selfishness or Scott’s stupidity! I’m going with the former...

Dusty lifted his team and turned the game. Dangerflog sat in the goal square trying not to trip over his bottom lip. That’s the game right there!
On the main board GF thread there is a report that Scott asked Danger if he wanted to go into the middle and he said no.

Kind of sums him up really.

Last night was the first time I've watched someone play footy and thought they may be as good as Duck. Martin has the same quality Duck had, especially in finals. You just know you are always still in the game if you can get the ball to him, or even in his general vicinity.

Higgo going to Gelomg won't win them a flag. It's telling that the narrative is they need players to help Danger win a flag. He didn't help himself last night.

I enjoyed the game, it was wet and that goes someway to explaining the style played. yes the ball is thrown a lot and I wish they'd clamp down on that.

What impressed me was the way the Tigers went about it. Sheesh they know when to go the ball, when to back off, they rarely overcommit. Some of their field kicking was excellent and they keep their feet.
We could learn a lot from them.

Can't stand Geelong for oh so many reasons it would take me a month to post them all. Hope they do fall away next year.
Agree with this almost 100%

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I thought the game was alright actually. It was very good footy.

That surge footy of Richmond's actually reminds me of us in the 90s in some ways. It's about the intent to get the ball, and game momentum going your way at all costs. I love the way the Tigers take every opportunity to attack.

It's frustrates the sh*t out of me that we don't do it at all, let alone at every opportunity.

It was a very good game. But from my couch over 1000km away, and throughout the whole week, it wasn't a great event.

And the AFL wonder why most people laugh at most of their awards:

NORM SMITH BLUNDER: LETHAL’S ASTONISHING CONFESSION
AFL great Leigh Matthews has explained his decision to award Richmond’s Nathan Broad two Norm Smith Medal votes after mistaking one of his teammates for the Tigers key defender.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And the AFL wonder why most people laugh at most of their awards:

NORM SMITH BLUNDER: LETHAL’S ASTONISHING CONFESSION
AFL great Leigh Matthews has explained his decision to award Richmond’s Nathan Broad two Norm Smith Medal votes after mistaking one of his teammates for the Tigers key defender.

Yep, that's why I joked earlier in the thread about the sycophants in the media giving the award to Dusty.

Media darlings get a 25% bonus on the votes.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
When we beat them in the 2015 EF and got close to a granny, you'd think, we're on the way up, a flag shouldn't be too far away. They didn't even make the finals the following year.
Now 5 years later, they've won 3 of 4 flags, we've missed finals the last 4 years, and are currently at rock bottom starting a complete rebuild.

Sigh.

Oh oh...

=====

Into the history books it goes….

2.98m viewers watched Richmond win their third AFL Grand Final in four years last night -the biggest audience all year. Adding in regional viewers the numbers rose to 3.81m viewers. In Melbourne alone there were 1.58m viewers followed by Sydney at 413,000.

The first-ever night time Grand Final drew a phenomenal 65.8% share for Seven -the highest ever recorded since OzTAM began in 2001.

The primetime match contrast with 2019’s 2.2m which was the lowest metro audience for the Grand Final since OzTAM records began (2.94m with regional).

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When we beat them in the 2015 EF and got close to a granny, you'd think, we're on the way up, a flag shouldn't be too far away. They didn't even make the finals the following year.
Now 5 years later, they've won 3 of 4 flags, we've missed finals the last 4 years, and are currently at rock bottom starting a complete rebuild.

Sigh.

Team like W.C. would be kicking themselves. Not good enough '15. Won it '18. Screwed up last 2 years by losing un-loseable games on their own dungheap.
v. Hawthorn in a h&a to finish top 4. By a point to Pies team with Mason Cox in it.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Oh oh...

=====

2.98m viewers watched Richmond win their third AFL Grand Final in four years last night -the biggest audience all year. Adding in regional viewers the numbers rose to 3.81m viewers. In Melbourne alone there were 1.58m viewers followed by Sydney at 413,000.

The first-ever night time Grand Final drew a phenomenal 65.8% share for Seven -the highest ever recorded since OzTAM began in 2001.

The primetime match contrast with 2019’s 2.2m which was the lowest metro audience for the Grand Final since OzTAM records began (2.94m with regional).

Hard to see them going back to a day GF especially with TV rights income plateauing.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hard to see them going back to a day GF especially with TV rights income plateauing.

Gil; " The 2023 Grand Final between North Melbourne and Fremantle will see the ball bounced to start the game at 1.10 p.m. This will give people time to shop in the morning and then get out for their afternoon walk "

Gil; " The 2023 Grand Final between North Melbourne and Fremantle will see the ball bounced to start the game at 1.10 p.m. This will give people time to shop in the morning and then get out for their afternoon walk "

Gil...: "Oh, and also, because The Republic of WA were most unlucky not to host the 2020 Grand Final, we will grant the state this Grand Final instead. It will be fantastic to see Optus Stadium bathed in purple on Grand Final day".

It was a very good game. But from my couch over 1000km away, and throughout the whole week, it wasn't a great event.
It felt like just another game to me, except when Richmond switched back on late in the second. There was some passion there.

I didn't watch any hoopla or the presentations.

Sigh.

It's as much a positive as negative if you look at where we are today - things can change.

Oh oh...

=====

Would have thought this has more to do with the fact that there is nothing else to do in most of Victoria.

Back