All things Chris Dawes - 2014 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

He had the foulest look on his face in the presser - he's clearly not happy at being at a losing club and wants to turn it around, even if it is single-handedly.

We may have paid overs for him, but we paid overs for that attitude as well - that's damn important for us.
Couldn't agree more with that mate. The attitude that he brings is huge for us. I hope he maintains it and that the club doesn't kill his spirit (bit melodramatic but you get my point I hope).

Did some nice stuff yesterday - 7 marks is a good day out for a forward, probably needs to sharpen up his contested marking though - didn't go at the ball on occasions.

Definitely captain material. He's been at a successful club, talks with authority and intelligence. If there is another captaincy vote next year, he'd be a strong contender - assuming he is popular with the other players.

He looked positively filthy at the presser. He's not used to losing and that's a good thing for Demons fans because he demands the best from himself and from others.

His greatest asset is his engine, as you clearly saw on the weekend. Does not stop presenting. It makes his opponents accountable and blows them up, regardless of how slow he may look. It's the secret to the whole twin towers thing he had going with Cloke. Both of them can run ~15km a game and while they can't gut run quite like Riewoldt, it gives opposition defenders no room to breathe. One would get on his bike, lead hard to the wing while the other ran around the F50 into space. And they'd alternate moving up the ground so switching match ups didn't do all that much.

It mitigates his weaknesses, which mostly have to do with overhead marking and 1v1s. When you're running 50m leads and your opponent can't go with you, half decent delivery ought to result in an easy chest mark. Playing ruck, even for small minutes, screws up that rhythm because you're expending extra energy around the ground while your opponent can take a resting ruck who won't lead as hard.

It's a shame Dawes had to go. Was one of my favourites at the Pies.

But it's nice to see him play well and provide both on-field and off-field leadership at the Dees. I really hope his work ethic rubs off on the playing group.

All in all, I'm hoping this venture would be a win/win for both Clubs, and for Dawes himself.

It's funny how quickly he has won over the fans over by playing the game the right way, with strong effort and pride. Just goes to show you don't have to be a world beater to get some respect. Hopefully he can keep this up and a few others follow.

some richmond flog kept calling him 'specky' yesterday which i thought was an odd insult, was that to do with him wearing glasses or him studying law? anyway wtf weird.. studying Law/playing AFL >>> watching Richmond finish 9th

Told you so! :D

Indeed mate. Chris is f***ing Dawesome!

4FAVPuM.gif

What makes me happiest is thinking about how much carlton need a key forward , and how much more than pick 20 they would give for him

Oh yes, and if we played our cards right, we could land ourselves another Jordan Gysberts...

Mark_Neeld_smiling.jpg

A bird in the hand is worth far more to the Melbourne Football Club at this point than anything in the bush mate.

Oh yes, and if we played our cards right, we could land ourselves another Jordan Gysberts...

Mark_Neeld_smiling.jpg

A bird in the hand is worth far more to the Melbourne Football Club at this point than anything in the bush mate.

I'm a little tired mate but I was never offering him up , just saying if carlton had trade week over again they would have no problem dishing pick 20 to the pies

I'm a little tired mate but I was never offering him up , just saying if carlton had trade week over again they would have no problem dishing pick 20 to the pies

No worries, I get you :thumbsu:

Suffice it to say there are about a dozen players we have who I wish we could just clone two or more times to fill the entire squad, and Dawesy is one of them.

Great work ethic, excellent stamina, genuine ability and real belief flowing from it, sets high standards for himself and demands the same from everyone else around him, providing more of the kind of strong leadership we desperately need.

No worries, I get you :thumbsu:

Suffice it to say there are about a dozen players we have who I wish we could just clone two or more times to fill the entire squad, and Dawesy is one of them.

Great work ethic, excellent stamina, genuine ability and real belief flowing from it, sets high standards for himself and demands the same from everyone else around him, providing more of the kind of strong leadership we desperately need.

All good mate , I didn't mind Dawes at the pies, now I bloody love him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Neeld obviously knew him very well , and realized that pick 20 was getting us more than just a few marks and goals

If he can produce this most weeks ,i believe it will drag the rest of the team(or those that want to) along with him re effort and intensity . Not having a go at you , just reading though some threads on here makes one think Neeld has done nothing right since he walked into the club.

From my user name I may seem your arch enemy, but look below to my signature to my prior usernames and you'll see from where I'm coming.

Many Collingwood supporters remember Dawes as a true gentleman of the game, the type of guy who takes a pay cut to pay for another player's contract, rather than take a better deal at another club. He is intelligent, responsible and loyal, and the day he decided or it was decided for him, that he would be wise to look beyond the club for opportunity, may well prove a black mark in the history of recruitment and trade at CFC.

Dawes looked great today, playing as well as I've ever seen him against good opposition. He hasn't always had kicking yips, not in 2010 anyway, and he has sharp disposal by foot and hand. He worked hard today - he had terrific aerobic fitness at the Pies, and playing second fiddle to Cloke only became a problem when he was called upon to ruck. He seemed like a confidence player, and Magpie fans may not have communicated their true feelings for him in cyber space or over the fence.

Whatever, you may have thought you lost a key draft pick for a dud player, but I am not so certain that Melbourne didn't get a win out of the trade. Dawes complimented Cloke's play better than Lynch is currently doing, and Chris will be blessed with another 6 years of football. He would be in our side now if he was still at the club, probably with Lynch playing the Leigh Brown role. His overhead marking was always our greatest worry, but he looked confident and dangerous overhead today. He moved like Dawes of old, giving value for money in terms of kilometers covered.

Melbourne supporters are currently shuddering under a black cloud, but Dawes might be the silver lining beneath the doom and gloom. I reluctantly gave up MyManDawes for MyManwasshowntheDawe. To be frank, I am contemplating a username featuring one of the new guys.

I thought this an opportune time to toast the guy for being a quality person and player. I sincerely hope that Melbourne supporters consider him a bargain in the years to come.

Cheers guys. Loved his work today.

I was always a fan of getting Dawes - the only doubt I had was whether we really should've been concentrating on luring good mids to the club, rather than a KPF - but hopefully he'll be a really good leader and contributor for us. Really looking forward to him and Clark playing together - I think they'll compliment each other really well.

Hopefully the Dawes trade ends as a win-win for both clubs.

Find it quite humorous that you signed Lynch to take the second ruck/forward role and since then his signature long kicking has gone completely down the toilet. He's butchered most of the set shots I've seen and can't seem to kick it straight from more than 30 out.

It's his glove, they say. :confused:o_O

So Richo keeps saying, but I've seen him take it off a few times with the same result. Ball drops must be different in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back