Analysis All things coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Like a friend of mine who worked at the local abattoir used to
say "You just have to have the cattle". I tried to pick a side
for AFLX this year and i found it hard to fill out an entire
team and there is only ten players. Coaching is fairly fickle
if you try something and it does not work (Wood) you get
s**t canned, but if you try something and it works (M.Boyd)
you are a genius. In reality though you have to try things
and if it exposes players who are hiding in the tall grass
then so be it. "Put the black texta away and try would be
my coaching advice" sometimes you have to prune the
roses back to promote growth, but sometimes it's better
to remove the tree all together.

Like a friend of mine who worked at the local abattoir used to
say "You just have to have the cattle". I tried to pick a side
for AFLX this year and i found it hard to fill out an entire
team and there is only ten players. Coaching is fairly fickle
if you try something and it does not work (Wood) you get
s**t canned, but if you try something and it works (M.Boyd)
you are a genius. In reality though you have to try things
and if it exposes players who are hiding in the tall grass
then so be it. "Put the black texta away and try would be
my coaching advice" sometimes you have to prune the
roses back to promote growth, but sometimes it's better
to remove the tree all together.
Sounds like the transcript from a Mick Malthouse press conference!

This team was Built by Macca and his philosophy of contested ball

ATM I can't see that with bevo coaching. I don't know our gamestyle.

Can anybody tell me what our style is ? What is our plan? It looks like a disjointed team with no identity

Coming from a VFL and bit of AFL background
Every club does this to a small degree, mainly in game situation which players are pushed limited mins in roles. Pendles at half back, Jack Re up on the wing more than forward.

Its the best way to fast track a small sense of development for late min game situations if a player is hurt, so they know the role

Our senior coach and whichever of his assistants has been in charge of the forwardline haven't been able to develop a single player as a forward since 2016.
2009*

This team was Built by Macca and his philosophy of contested ball

ATM I can't see that with bevo coaching. I don't know our gamestyle.

Can anybody tell me what our style is ? What is our plan? It looks like a disjointed team with no identity
We currently stand for absolutely nothing!

Everything Macca built and Bev perfected is no longer recognizable.

We won our premiership by loading our backline with our most experienced players, crowding the contest and mauling anyone who looked like an opposition player with the ball. Now, for some reason, our backs are playing forward, we have no team defence and teams run it out of their back 50 like it's a training drill.

For something that wasn't broken to begin with there sure is a lot of fixing and evolving going on. Why has he completely disregarded the style and mindset that won us the flag in favor of playing this uncontested, flexible position rubbish??? It's nonsensical, defys any logic and no one has given a rational explanation in 18 months

Our players look like deers in the headlights out there, completely bereft of confidence and its onlyround 1 ffs!

Something stinks to high hell at this club, our off field performance is just as shambolic as our on field and we continue to get treated like idiots in the process. This current line up is in for many more thrashings unless the something drastic changes.

Last edited:
We currently stand for absolutely nothing!

Everything Macca built and Bev perfected is no longer recognizable.

We won our premiership by loading our backline with our most experienced players, crowding the contest and mauling anyone who looked like an opposition player with the ball. Now, for some reason, our backs are playing forward, we have no team defence and teams run it out of their back 50 like it's a training drill.

For something that wasn't broken to begin with there sure is a lot of fixing and evolving going on. Why has he completely disregarded the style and mindset that won us the flag in favor of playing this uncontested, flexible position rubbish??? It's nonsensical, defys any logic and no one has given a rational explanation in 18 months

Our players look like deers in the headlights out there, completely bereft of confidence and its onlyround 1 ffs!

Something stinks to high hell at this club, our off field performance is just as shambolic as our on field and we continue to get treated like idiots in the process. This current line up is in for many more thrashings unless the something drastic changes.

i have no idea why we have gone against our strengths.

does the blame lie with the coaches ? or are the players not trying enough?

The worst part about way the game plan and what the team stood for in 2015-16 has been that Richmond has had success doing something very similar although with more speed.

I know saying the team needs to get back to basics is easily said and not very sophisticated but there needs to be a clear game plan and a clear stance on what this group stands for. At the moment there is zero structure, zero balance and zero intent. Now the coach has to cop flack for the first 2 it’s his job to make sure the team has a structure and balance, it’s the players job to bring the intent but until there is structure and balance it doesn’t matter whether there is intent or not.

We’ve gone from a team that was hard to play against to a team that’s easy to play against.

Bevo needs to throw the versatility out the window versatility is great for plan b, c etc but we need a plan A with players in the right positions, a balanced team and a clear game plan. Now if that’s back to the 2016 game plan of zone defence, locking the ball in the forward half, handball from stoppages to move the ball forward and continually deny the opposition transition great, if the players are giving the effort and intent to make that game plan effective then simple they are out of the team. To me it seems the players weren’t as committed last year so the game plan changed to allow for a lack of commitment which is ludicrous. Set the game plan, set the non negotiables and if players don’t play their role they can run around in the twos.

i have no idea why we have gone against our strengths.

does the blame lie with the coaches ? or are the players not trying enough?
I'm leaning heavily towards the off field staff here. The coach is responsible for his players buying into a system or philosophy, you saw clear buy in on 15/16 , now he is so intent on going the opposite way. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.

Furthermore, there are clear fractures within the club. our best in a generation forward was booted out and handed to that cancer for peanuts, our chief recruiter walks and we shop around fabric players like Luke Dahl.

Our president is punching on with our 2nd biggest donor and figure head and our coach has shot the curtains and said " no you can't come in anymore because you don't like us"

We won the premiership 18 months ago, we should be the envy of the league, unfortunately we seem to enjoy being the laughing stock and irrelevant.

Hi Gents,
First time poster so please go easy on me with this one. Would like to hear your thoughts on Brendon Goddard.
Fairly sure this could be his last season as a player and I realise he is someone that we either dislike or respect as a footballer.
I personally admire him for his competitiveness and as somebody who expects almost perfection from himself and his teammates, which obviously
does boilover at times as we know. My question is how would you see him as a potential line coach at the Dogs working with the young backs and mids we seem to be trying to develop. He has played a lot of footy over a lot of seasons and been involved in a lot of different structures/set ups. Thoughts?

Hi Gents,
First time poster so please go easy on me with this one. Would like to hear your thoughts on Brendon Goddard.
Fairly sure this could be his last season as a player and I realise he is someone that we either dislike or respect as a footballer.
I personally admire him for his competitiveness and as somebody who expects almost perfection from himself and his teammates, which obviously
does boilover at times as we know. My question is how would you see him as a potential line coach at the Dogs working with the young backs and mids we seem to be trying to develop. He has played a lot of footy over a lot of seasons and been involved in a lot of different structures/set ups. Thoughts?

Hahhahah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Gents,

I reckon his ego would preclude him from being interested in coming to a club like us. Also is a giant knob.

Bev and Goddard are opposites in personality and I reckon in philosophy as well.
Would they offer complementary approaches? Yes. Could be beneficial.
Would they get on? Very much doubt it.

Summary: not a goer. Personally I dislike what I've seen of Goddard. Spoiled brat attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back