Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone think they are just using sport to distract and make it real. All the while shutting down the global economy, cause a recession, get all the leaders together and come up with the new global plan. All these psychos are getting old and want to see some change and this is probably the time. The mass media going bananas says it all.
Maybe the end to fiat currency, maybe one world government, maybe vaccines for everyone, 5G network who knows but it’s going down. Sport is easy for mind control.
Oh ok the footy is cancelled it must be serious.
If only the new order was coming from love and compassion but unfortunately it’s not.
Interesting times ahead.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yea na

Main issue is Covid-19 will soon turn into Covid-20 (which it prob should be now) so when do we draw the line and say ok, this is just another form of influenza?
I know it’s serious for many in the community , but at what point do we say, let’s continue on with everyday life?
The commentary is ruining much more than peoples health, the financial cost is going to reverberate around the globe for many years.
I’m familiar with a number of businesses already closing the doors, putting many people with mortgages etc out of work.
This is the real scary outcome imo

Main issue is Covid-19 will soon turn into Covid-20 (which it prob should be now) so when do we draw the line and say ok, this is just another form of influenza?
I know it’s serious for many in the community , but at what point do we say, let’s continue on with everyday life?
The commentary is ruining much more than peoples health, the financial cost is going to reverberate around the globe for many years.
I’m familiar with a number of businesses already closing the doors, putting many people with mortgages etc out of work.
Tough question I guess it’s probably a different price y
I guess every one would have different price they where willing to pay depending on whether it was there family members dying .
The commentary is not ruining any ones health it’s a Virus

Tough question I guess it’s probably a different price y

I guess every one would have different price they where willing to pay depending on whether it was there family members dying .
The commentary is not ruining any ones health it’s a Virus

So mental health doesnt count? Peoples lives are being ruined as their businesses fold, their retirement plans gone. Anxiety and depression is real

100%. The broadcast deal and pandering to Murdoch's money will take precedence over everything else.

Easy to say that but I’m guessing the players etc will expect to be paid.

No games = no crowds, no TV revenue and no $.

AFL have a duty to safeguard participants and do their best to protect people’s incomes - fine line to tread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn paywall and outline not working for me.

Can someone outline this please.

Hmmm so if the AFL stand to lose $68 mill (as someone indicated) and the clubs knock off $90 mill in costs the AFL still turn a profit for the year and Gil's bonus remains intact.

That sounds fair to me.

Easy to say that but I’m guessing the players etc will expect to be paid.

No games = no crowds, no TV revenue and no $.

AFL have a duty to safeguard participants and do their best to protect people’s incomes - fine line to tread.
The issue is how do they avoid increasing risk of harm to participants given the nature of the sport being heavily player to player contact based. Will they test players, and clear them to play, on a week by week basis?

I support the Phillie Eagles, last season De Sean Jackson returned after a long absence (just like Eddie), everyone was really excited, the missing piece, set the place on fire in practice, lasted one and a half games before soft tissue injury ended his, and ultimately the team's season..... just saying
As to the virus outbreak, I am a type two diabetic, would be catastrophic if I contracted it, I am already self isolating, but it's my wife and son who could potentially bring it into the house... I knew it was fair dinkum when Hong Kong completely shut it's border with China in January.

Last edited:

A scary outcome is the Spanish flu (1918), where millions died.

Covid-19 is not just another virus, or the flu. It spreads like wildfire and they don’t have a vaccination. Where we were last week is very different to this week. Currently, it’s got a 2-3% mortality rate. It has a nasty mix of easy transmission and being deadly. Look at Italy.

And Government hasn’t put a blanket on everyday life - we’re still able to go outdoors, drive, exercise, catch up with friends, work, etc.

Yes, some businesses are closing doors, people not getting work, but that’s much more a result of the virus itself than government measures to slow down the spread of the virus. Measures to slow down the virus are aimed to ensure the economy, although straining, survives as a whole, and our health services can cope.

It’s about risk management. Measures balance the impact of the virus and ensuring society still functions, albeit restricted.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The issue is how do they avoid increasing risk of harm to participants given the nature of the sport being heavily player to player contact based. Will they test players, and clear them to play, on a week by week basis?
Will they test you or I before our daily commute to work? What is the difference?

The players will have their ears tested off relative to the rest of the population. As soon as one of them shows the slightest symptom they will have medics all over them, and certainly wouldn't be sent out on the field if coughing and sneezing (unless proven negative to the virus).

You or I are way more likely to be exposed on a train to infected droplets than they are on footy field.

See post #27 in this thread, where it says:
The AFL is also believed to be looking into a company that will provide fast tests for COVID-19, while placing firm restrictions on what players can do outside of footy - such as limiting them from attending university.

Last edited:
That’s because the big shots on the AFL Commission are mates with the big shots on the Board if Channel 7 and Foxtel.

There is zero degrees of separation with these people and all their interested in is looking after their own and their own corporate interests, and making sure they can sink as many Corporate Hospitality provided Crown Lagers as they can.

This isn’t happening in the US where they are shutting down major leagues.
News Flash!!!

Just because it's happening in the US doesn't mean it has to happen here. We're all going to get COVID-19. It's not a case of if, it's simply a matter of when. You can either put your big-boy panties on and confront it head on like a man or cower in the corner like a pussy. Your choice. It's out in the community now. The sooner governments and people accept that fact, the sooner life will get back to normal and people will stop panic buying. If the Federal Government was fair dinkum about keeping Corona Virus out of the country they should have locked down our borders at Xmas, no exceptions.

AFL footballers would be in the top 0.001% of the population when it comes to general health, strength and fitness. They also have access to the best medical facilities available at the club's expense when required. I'd argue that there'd be very few in society better equipped to deal with symptoms of COVID-19 than AFL footballers. Like the rest of us, they're going to get Corona Virus eventually. Get over it.

Last, but not least, unlike the US, our clubs are not-for-profit organisations and are not owned by multi-billionaires with bottomless pockets. Our clubs may be controlled by them, but they aren't owned by them. With no crowds in attendance, AFL players are no more or less likely to get Corona Virus than the rest of us. If the players want to get paid then the game must go on, because if you think FOX Sports and Channel 7 are going to fork out hundreds of millions of dollars for a product with no content you're kidding yourself.

100% correct.....the AFL is dependent on the revenue from the broadcasters to keep afloat...the broadcasters are dependent on advertisers to keep afloat, which will be highly compromised if there are no games.

There is no regard at all to clubs or supporters from a playing perspective...although the AFL will just come out and say "the show must go on". The logical compromise would be to shorten the season to 'x' games dependent on the advice from the medico's when the risk can be less compromised.

The logical decision would be to can it right now, because once a player tests positive, it will just further compromise an already compromised season.

Where do you draw the line?
Why??? We're all going to get it. How many players miss a match during the year because they have the flu??? Plenty. How many players do clubs put into isolation when they contract gastro??? Plenty. Why should COVID-19 be any different???

News Flash!!!

Why??? We're all going to get it. How many players miss a match during the year because they have the flu??? Plenty. How many players do clubs put into isolation when they contract gastro??? Plenty. Why should COVID-19 be any different???
Yes well maybe, but how about not all at once

MrPlow what do you think?

Will they test you or I before our daily commute to work? What is the difference?

The players will have their ears tested off relative to the rest of the population. As soon as one of them shows the slightest symptom they will have medics all over them, and certainly wouldn't be sent out on the field if coughing and sneezing (unless proven negative to the virus).

You or I are way more likely to be exposed on a train to infected droplets than they are on footy field.

See post #27 in this thread, where it says:
The AFL is also believed to be looking into a company that will provide fast tests for COVID-19, while placing firm restrictions on what players can do outside of footy - such as limiting them from attending university.
Hmm. I’m clearly not over the intricacies of how the virus is transmitted. I was under the impression that it’s predominately spread through physical contact.

Hmm. I’m clearly not over the intricacies of how the virus is transmitted. I was under the impression that it’s predominately spread through physical contact.
Possibly can be? But not the predominant method. Droplets from a sneeze/cough and touching infected surfaces (door handles etc.) most likely means of transfer.

The reality is, the AFL will protect those valuable assets way more than any of us will be protected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back