Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

it isnt that simple. Here is some modeling about various options . Watch it and then get back to me with the best solution. remembering you also have a country to run.

You quoted me twice with the same thing, interesting video.

Obviously the problem with this is that it can take so long to show or not show at all and that people don't listen. If you close everyone down for long enough for those infected to get over it the virus is eliminated otherwise we are just delaying when we want to kill people IMO. I'd be going to way New Zealand is but that is me.

Yes ! I think the chinese were first onto it. But they havent released the results I dont thinl

All sorts of trials and tests are going on around the world at a frantic pace- but proper protocols have to be followed regarding design and procedure otherwise the science will be flawed...takes time even with accelerator flat to the floor boards and all the funding required...

we don't need the cure to end up being worse than the disease - remember Thalidomide?

I'm hoping the daily pill is proven efficacious so health workers at least can have a preventative...and that is months away I think...
and then the other side of teh equation is looking good in terms of testing for antibodies - but again - factories have to make the gear and it has to work properly otherwise whats the point?

I am heartened by the behaviours I am observing as I drive - really low traffic and people being quite orderly at shops - despite ongoing empty shelves for soap and paper stuff. My beach survey I conduct just through my daily walk sees most people employing social distancing.

Despite the bad reports - I 'feel' that people are taking the situation quite seriously - with the obvious exceptions all too often being teenagers and early 20's.

I'm optimistic actually about the ultimate health outcomes - but more bearish about the domestic and global economy -The stakes are very high and all governments are on defcon 5.

First though we need to stifle the extent of this thing that is mission #1 we can decide how to manage the cost afterwards.

Last edited:
Seriously, if we'd have shut the airports down months ago the Govt. would have been a laughing stock. They were roundly criticised by, in particular, the acedamic industry for banning Chinese Students just as an example.
Of course they would have, but they would be sitting back now laughing at everyone else and we would all be praising them for doing a wonderful job.

Howard wasn't very popular when he took the guns away, we all look back now and thank him for it. Tough decisions will need to be made that don't please everyone, having the courage to make those decisions is what makes a good leader.

Interesting isn't it. You have stated that you and your wife have isolated, effectively a lock down, yet you chastise those that are calling for similar measures.

Also interesting, that we have been slowly heading down a similar path, tightening our restrictions each week

It's brave to comment on the validity of effective measures while being entrapped in a plastic bubble

This is just pure rubbish and whatever decisions I have personally made have no bearing on my opinion of the effectiveness of our actions as a Nation.

We may be slowly heading down the path to shutdown but that is the point. Incrementally increasing the strength of our actions as required in the belief that, if everyone actually follows the guidelines, we may be able to pull up short. South Korea have not got there yet.

Sorry if I do not sound like a cracked piece of vinyl on here every time our leaders make a decision that I disagree with.

If, indeed, I'm in a plastic bubble I can assure you it isn't opaque., I see what you do.

Not sure what "a brave comment on effective measures" means but if you think I am predicting that a full shutdown won't be successful, your wrong but I do know that a full shutdown for two weeks (you may remember that) will be as handy as a flyscreen on a submarine.

Your fond of stats so I'll give you one. Italy, Germany, Spain and Switzerland to name just a few countries all reported their first case after ours. Check their case/per mill numbers against ours and tell me again just how wrong we have this.

I feel desperately sorry for the Aussies stranded in countries like Peru and Argentina who went on holiday there before this outbreak started, and are seemingly unable to return him (don't think the officials/government of those countries are letting them fly home)

You can argue in hindsight they should have returned home weeks ago, but nevertheless its a dreadful situation for those strandard, in a foreign nation, with limited and dwindling money/resources.

It’s cool.

Live in the now.

Projections scare the punters.

ok.
Such as MM saying “it is very difficult to see us losing a game”?

All sorts of trials and tests are going on around the world at a frantic pace- but proper protocols have to be followed regarding design and procedure otherwise the science will be flawed...takes time even with accelerator flat to the floor boards and all the funding required...

we don't need the cure to end up being worse than the disease - remember Thalidomide?

I'm hoping the daily pill is proven efficacious so health workers at least can have a preventative...and that is months away I think...
and then the other side of teh equation is looking good in terms of testing for antibodies - but again - factories have to make the gear and it has to work properly otherwise whats the point?

I am heartened by the behaviours I am observing as I drive - really low traffic and people being quite orderly at shops - despite ongoing empty shelves for soap and paper stuff. My beach survey I conduct just through my daily walk sees most people employing social distancing.

Despite the bad reports - I 'feel' that people are taking the situation quite seriously - with the obvious exceptions all too often being teenagers and early 20's.

I'm optimistic actually about the ultimate health outcomes - but more bearish about the domestic and global economy -The stakes are very high and all governments are on defcon 5.

First though we need to stifle the extent of this thing that is mission #1 we can decide how to manage the cost afterwards.
I won’t be lining up for any vaccine developed in the next 12 months
And I am 100% pro vaccines just not ones rushed through trials

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your fond of stats so I'll give you one. Italy, Germany, Spain and Switzerland to name just a few countries all reported their first case after ours. Check their case/per mill numbers against ours and tell me again just how wrong we have this.
Would think having a population density over 60 times that of Australia's wouldn't be helping those 4 countries much, I'll be sure to run down and thank Scotty for the fact we have a large country with not many people in it though.

This is just pure rubbish and whatever decisions I have personally made have no bearing on my opinion of the effectiveness of our actions as a Nation.

We may be slowly heading down the path to shutdown but that is the point. Incrementally increasing the strength of our actions as required in the belief that, if everyone actually follows the guidelines, we may be able to pull up short. South Korea have not got there yet.

Sorry if I do not sound like a cracked piece of vinyl on here every time our leaders make a decision that I disagree with.

If, indeed, I'm in a plastic bubble I can assure you it isn't opaque., I see what you do.

Not sure what "a brave comment on effective measures" means but if you think I am predicting that a full shutdown won't be successful, your wrong but I do know that a full shutdown for two weeks (you may remember that) will be as handy as a flyscreen on a submarine.

Wait till we too are on the verge of winter BH, so let's not cherry pick

Sure we could do this all night, but not interested. Let's leave the postmortems for when it's done

good idea to use the ADF, but I think using them to police beaches is a relative waste of of resources. This can easily be done with drones and CC cams with Motion detection. Been used overseas to play a recorded message to offenders and take photos of them.
was just using beaches as an example, it would be the presence that is important I believe and more importantly what the ADF could offer

Last edited:
Wait till we too are on the verge of winter BH, so let's not cherry pick

Sure we could do this all night, but not interested. Let's leave the postmortems for when it's done
Mm
I got Hagler v Tommy Hearns right now.

4 of them, Roberto, Sugar Goddamn Ray, Marvelous and Tommy.

Always Sugar Ray Leonard.

Always.
Hagler v Hearns watched on saturdays wild world of sport what a fight one of the best

Would think having a population density over 60 times that of Australia's wouldn't be helping those 4 countries much, I'll be sure to run down and thank Scotty for the fact we have a large country with not many people in it though.

So you think there is a huge density differential between European cities and Sydney and Melbourne?

I won’t be lining up for any vaccine developed in the next 12 months
And I am 100% pro vaccines just not ones rushed through trials

Best possible outcome would be a preventative/curative vaccine - but typically it is just preventative...
I'd get vaccinated for sure - there is a lot of work being put into this from lots of different sources and places I trust, if they say it is good - it will be. It isn't about 'rushing' it is about setting up clinically correct protocols in the design of the trials making sure the stats that come out are truly random - there will be multiple different sites and trials going on cross checking each other in seperate trials using separate sample populations - I'm sure that when if a vaccine comes out - it will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back