Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good read on sport returning from the Spanish flu back in the day.
The cost of rushing back to sport
That’s a great read. I’m going to send it to my son who is an ice hockey fanatic.

50,000 Canadians. 675,000 Americans. Claimed by the influenza pandemic.

A sentence which rang a clarion call for me.

“When the number of sick people decreased, the measures (face masks, social distancing) were loosened — which led to the virus’s deadly return.”

The deadly second wave.

And then there is the sporting aspect of the pandemic.

“Because of the double-overtime tie and Montreal’s Game 5 win, the teams were slated to play once more to decide the championship. The Spanish flu spread like fire through both teams, and the Canadiens didn’t have enough healthy players to keep going. After a proposal to bring in replacements was rejected, Montreal offered to forfeit. Seattle refused to claim the title that way. Finally, hockey officials decided to call the series a draw, a result memorialized on the Stanley Cup.”

In Australia, the VFL and VFA continued through their 1919 seasons. Australia was cut off from the world in those days and probably escaped the worst of it. Despite this 15,000 died so we were not totally immune.

I was previously annoyed at Vic Premier for flushing away trillions on a silly promise to kill the construction of a new arterial. But, he's done a fine job leading Victorians through this difficult time. Onya DA.

I was previously annoyed at Vic Premier for flushing away trillions on a silly promise to kill the construction of a new arterial. But, he's done a fine job leading Victorians through this difficult time. Onya DA.

Anna Bligh did a great job during the qld floods

EZJCebSU4AAE9A2

Thought a number of his decisions during this time were unnecessary and not thought out but I can say that about most of the state leaders. why were regionals treated the same as metro areas? but the biggest issue he has right now is the jumping into bed with China at a time when everyone knows that we can not trust that government and that we now need to have less to do with them not more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back