Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

My agenda is I want to get back to work
I want see my mum with my kids
She lives by her self
I want to stop worring about old people I know
And to tell you the truth probably selfish of me but I couldn’t give 2 f#### about the economy if people I no and others don’t die
Let’s hope we still care about the elderly and vulnerable next year too ... not just once every hundred years ...

My agenda is I want to get back to work
I want see my mum with my kids
She lives by her self
I want to stop worring about old people I know
And to tell you the truth probably selfish of me but I couldn’t give 2 * about the economy if people I no and others don’t die

I worry about my Mum too, I am staying clear from her in case I have it. I’m washing my hands and gargling Apple Cider vinegar / salt water / Listerine like a mofo. I keep trying to self isolate for 2 weeks but keep needing to go to the shops for something or other.

It’s easy to say that you don’t give a * about the economy when you haven’t lived through the unimaginable consequences, but this is going to be far worse than some economic slow down if we keep doing this. The world is far too debt ridden unfortunately to simply shut up shop for 6+ months, that would lead to the collapse of the Western world, the collapse of the entire financial system. Such a collapse would mean no hospitals, no power, no water. You should also be worried about your kids and what kind of world they are going to live in. Will they need to resort to looting and theft to feed themselves? Life expectancy would take an enormous hit.

I just found that report interesting, I can totally understand you not liking the presenter, but there are valid points. The spread of this virus, at least to me, points to the fact that a significant amount of people are asymptomatic. The one place where we had a completely controlled environment where everyone was tested, was the Diamond Princess. This had a mortality rate of 1%, the passengers on board were almost exclusively in the most dangerous age brackets. South Korea, one of the most rigorous testers have had a mortality rate of 0.45%, despite their heavy testing regime it would be fair to suggest many asymptomatic weren’t tested.

The disease modelling study from Oxford University, suggests that up to 50% of English and Europeans have had it it’s just that many don’t know it. Now sure, this can be argued, I myself would have no idea. The model of the Imperial College London, for which the US and UK government’s have made policy on, have backtracked remarkably. They originally predicted an enormous death pandemic but are now more in line with Oxford University and believe the UK health system will not be overwhelmed.

I am now more confident we can get out of this. If we do, I think one positive is that health care is going to be a huge part of any political campaign. Lessons need to be learnt from all this.

I do think we need rational discussions amongst all this fear. We need to do what we can for the elderly, but we also need to think of the kids and the impact our decisions will have on their life expectancy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can someone please explain that now that they're saying Stage 1 of lockdown is working they've ramped them right up?

I'm no expert and don't proclaim to be but something smells fishy that on the day that they claim we're heading in the right direction their actions are the opposite.
I only talk to experts.

There is a slant, no doubt. But also, they are using official numbers. Italy had a higher mortality rate in 2017 and 2018 than in 2020 (Jan 1 until now). The UK model that Neil Ferguson produced and that he back flipped on was a gross overestimation.

The reaction to this just seems insane, there have been pandemics like this almost yearly that have been more deadly and no one has batted an eyelid. Did you see the death chart for Europe in 2017? There was something nasty floating around then, we just didn’t give it a name. So many of these world renowned epidemiologists are saying this is not any worse than the common cold / flu and are blown away by how we are prepared to destroy society for this.

Well done for watching it through 👍
I don’t expect many to be bothered watching that.

The concern I have with programs/reporting like the one you posted, they are heavily slanted, just as the opposing views. There are a myriad of factors to consider, yet no one has used balanced analysis

While I am not disputing his numbers, he does use creative license at times, especially multiplying the daily mortality numbers by 2, to take into account the colder 6 months of 2017, then comparing that to the current covid numbers.

While on that and I will use Milan's weather for 2017, which experienced its coldest January over a 4 year period

Screenshot_20200331-070337_Opera.jpg

This is the type of balance that should be added, when analyzing the numbers.

We also know current numbers are far from accurate, with some countries contributing all their deaths to covid, while other countries are contributing deaths to the related pre-existing ailments.

I never agreed with Ferguson's modeling, as well as some of the mapping around our possible deaths of 150K.

I guess, with many countries, enforcing a form of isolation measures, we will never know the impact the yearly flu and or this virus if it was left unchecked

Just checked some numbers. Worldometer has Australia at 528 new cases for the 29th mar. Covid19 real time has 344 new cases.
Which one is correct?

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon the timing of reporting is leading to some confusion. Looks to me that the Worldometer is actually counting the 528 as a combined total of 29/3 and 30/3.

If that's not the reason the FIIK.

Thanks to the Govt, employers can now rehire people made redundant in recent times and claim the wage subsidy.

Can the employee then sue the business through Fair Work and use this as proof it wasn’t a genuine redundancy?

I've been in the industry for close to 5 years now and still waiting for my cheque from big pharma. Hurry the fu** up, I don't want to live in Broadmeadows for the rest of my life.

A suburb with broad meadows sounds lovely!

1585605971053.png

:p

There is a slant, no doubt. But also, they are using official numbers. Italy had a higher mortality rate in 2017 and 2018 than in 2020 (Jan 1 until now). The UK model that Neil Ferguson produced and that he back flipped on was a gross overestimation.

The reaction to this just seems insane, there have been pandemics like this almost yearly that have been more deadly and no one has batted an eyelid. Did you see the death chart for Europe in 2017? There was something nasty floating around then, we just didn’t give it a name. So many of these world renowned epidemiologists are saying this is not any worse than the common cold / flu and are blown away by how we are prepared to destroy society for this.

Well done for watching it through 👍
I don’t expect many to be bothered watching that.

Can you put together a highlights package?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EUZH0NvUcAEcSII

Thanks to the Govt, employers can now rehire people made redundant in recent times and claim the wage subsidy.

Can the employee then sue the business through Fair Work and use this as proof it wasn’t a genuine redundancy?
Nope. To be eligible for the subsidy the business must prove a 30% drop in revenue which would be enough to determine genuine redundancy.

Sue them anyway Jabba73
Once lock down began, they would not have wanted to pay me to be at home for an extended period (even though I have worked from home previously due to sports injury and looking after sick kids).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back