Injury All things COVID-19 - including the impact on Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez the states really aren't doing this well are they...

Tassie have been good I reckon. First state to lock down the borders, first state to clear out everyone from the short term accommodation providers and tell all the travellers to GTFO (great call in hindsight now that backpackers are causing such big problems in NSW), first state to have people detained by the government on arrival. Driven by our hospital system sucking and needing to maintain our clean image for when this is over but they have been proactive at least.

Engineers are generally the polar opposite of that kind of thing. I guess it's the engineer with a psychology degree that confuses me most

You're right to pick me up on a throwaway line. But it was not a joke, in one sense.

In my experience, engineers are great believers in process and structure, so very dominant in management in allied industries. But disproportionately represented among the fringe, interestingly enough, because I don't think the training given allows much time for reflection on cultural values and epistemology. I asked one with a Phd how much time in his education had been given over to analysis of the idea of method itself, and he said 'none'.

Most graduates come out with little sense of what they know in relation to other disciplines, or to put it bluntly, over confidence. Some, whose study and temperament allow them to, come out with an awareness that there are oceans of things they don't know, hence the far more realistic assumption that anything they have not studied, they really don't know.

In my experience, engineers are not well represented among the latter group - i.e. the humble, who have a sense of just how conplex and social and natural worlds are. And even fewer psychologists.

Instead, a strong training in systems and patterns and structures, that demands one find a complex but workable solution, inclines many who receive it to believe that they can apply their thinking to anything. The better the training - you mentioned 'a good university' - the stronger the belief. So in that sense, I was actually serious.

This is a scary by-product of self isolation....

With the nation in near lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak, family violence is on the rise, with many victims now unable to access the help and services they need.

It’s the silence that terrifies front-line family violence workers the most. A national lockdown, coupled with a shattered economy and tens of thousands of jobs lost, has created a new type of uneasy quiet. Many victims are now inside the home with their abuser almost all day, every day.

“There are so many people suffering right now and they can’t make the call,” says Tracey Turner of the Sydney Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service (SWDVCAS). “If I do get through to someone on the phone, I’ve had to read between the lines, you know, because the person of interest is in the house with my client…”

In some states, calls have spiked as families descend deeper into violence, or experience it for the first time, but this early flurry of activity is masking a pervasive, unsettling lack of noise.

“There have already been a few clients who I just cannot get in contact with. They aren’t answering phone calls or texts,” says Bridget Mottram, a co-ordinator at SWDVCAS. “I’ve had women say to me, ‘I just can’t get away from him.’  ”

Yep, sets you thinking about all kinds of mental health and, in the case of in home violence, physical health consequences. Can't make the call to get help. Can't get to a hospital because they are all focused on Covid. Can't get to other services because walkins are closed. Can't go to family in another state to get away. And the anger and powerlessness of perpetrators exacerbated, with no distractions like sport or outings with others. Terrifying.

I know no one will agree with me but this lockdown is gonna be worse than the virus itself. & you add financial pressures as well!
I'm still working and find myself spending 8 hours on the phone crapping on and annoying people.
My missus has had a week off and when I get home she's so bored she's following me into the the toilet and just crapping on.
It's not good. 6 months!

I'm sure most of you know I work in the hardship department for an energy retailer.

Our boss told us yesterday that Wednesday was the busiest we've ever been in terms of calls received. I've also been told I'm to work exclusively on making outbound calls to customers who have requested call-backs from next week onwards, after working on it all last week. These are people who tried to get in touch with us but since the wait times were so long, they decided to ask to get someone to call them back. We've had about 250-270 accounts on that list all week, but will probably be over 300 when I get in on Monday. And it's only going to get worse.

Tassie have been good I reckon. First state to lock down the borders, first state to clear out everyone from the short term accommodation providers and tell all the travellers to GTFO (great call in hindsight now that backpackers are causing such big problems in NSW), first state to have people detained by the government on arrival. Driven by our hospital system sucking and needing to maintain our clean image for when this is over but they have been proactive at least.
It's been the states pushing hardest for the lockdowns. As someone pointed out the other day, they run Health. Apart from Queensland's monumental stuff up in insisting on running the elections, they have driven the stronger measures. Best thing Morrison has done is to keep them in the room (metaphorically!).

Ummm.... I mean... the United States...

Ummm.... I mean... the United States...
I figured thats what you meant...

And yes... its not good.
You'll notce all the Aussie media and succesful international types that have homes in the USA, are all in Australia.

Those that could be there, are there.

Not thinking at all this is the place to be.

GO Catters

And yes... its not good.
You'll notce all the Aussie media and succesful international types that have homes in the USA, are all in Australia.

GO Catters
Do you know Jim Jeffries Daz?

And yes... its not good.

GO Catters

I knew you'd see "the states" as the USA.
How are you holding up? LA is a pretty shitty place to be right now by the sounds of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the biggest propaganda war we will see in our lifetime.

The Chinese authorities are already changing the narrative, and blame is being asserted elsewhere. At no point have they tried to buy goodwill by supplying medical supplies free of charge. They have allowed supplies of crap quality to be sold and have posed risks to medical professionals. Watch them assert their authority, and at risk initially will be Taiwan and Hong Kong, who are resisting Chinese influence.

Andrew Forrest, is already trying to change the narrative about the virus. He too can go and live elsewhere. $$$$ are showing what he is really made of.

Before we pat ourselves on the back. Has Skomo faced into the fact Chinese flew tonnes of medical supplies out of Australia, and left us vulnerable. Are those individuals still living in Australia, and if they are why are they permitted to be here, as they clearly are not helping Australians. We are not talking of 10 face masks, but rather 90,000 tonnes of medical supplies. Yet this same government tells Australians not to hoard supplies. Massive fail by a government asleep at the wheel.

The boats in NSW and WA, seriously WTF. The Germans want support for their people etc, the same country that was refusing to assist Italy when Italy was on its knees.

Had Australians been allowed to stock up, maybe we would have stock of important medical supplies and not paying 5 or 10 times the price for medical supplies.

And returning travellers, seriously if you cant stay in isolation then you should be at Christmas island.

As for masks, what a serious joke. They help, they might not be 100% but even at 20% effectiveness it is better than nothing. Washing your hands is not 100% effective either, but because there is enough supply of soap and water it is the deemed solution.

People stay safe, and dont believe the propaganda that emanates.

As for the AFL what a joke. It has stoud down the fabric of the competition but continues to pay the players. One in all in. Gill is all about the $$$, show some leadership, for goodness sakes is Chris Scott the only one with a conscious.

Pretty sure it's already been said that while sanitizer with a high alcohol content (60%+) will help when soap & water is unavailable, it's also been stated that drinking alcohol won't actually assist in killing the virus - main reason is that this is a respiratory virus, so maybe if you snorted the alcohol & it was a high enough percentage it could do something

A few this I've read lately is that they have no known transference cases of covid-19 that have been caused by eating - so if you have bought veggies that were coughed on by someone contagious, they don't believe you'll get sick from eating it; still probably best to wash fruit & veggies (as suitable) before eating then though, and washing your hands after touching said food, as it's hand to face transference which can transit the virus

As for smoking - yeah, pretty sure they've said if you're a smoker it can hit you harder (not necessarily more likely to get it) as it's a respiratory virus. So any pre-existing respiratory concerns can impact the severity
If vegies are cooked its fine
but if its a piece of fruit and it has been coughed you could have the virus spread, as the virus has been found to be active for days on surfaces
i would wash everything

😲 - credit to Portugal, not sure too many countries would take this step

They cant, in europe italy and greece are haemorrhaging. And if this was endorsed it would create a myriad of problems. Have a look at the behaviour of Germany and Holland.

You're right to pick me up on a throwaway line. But it was not a joke, in one sense.

In my experience, engineers are great believers in process and structure, so very dominant in management in allied industries. But disproportionately represented among the fringe, interestingly enough, because I don't think the training given allows much time for reflection on cultural values and epistemology. I asked one with a Phd how much time in his education had been given over to analysis of the idea of method itself, and he said 'none'.

Most graduates come out with little sense of what they know in relation to other disciplines, or to put it bluntly, over confidence. Some, whose study and temperament allow them to, come out with an awareness that there are oceans of things they don't know, hence the far more realistic assumption that anything they have not studied, they really don't know.

In my experience, engineers are not well represented among the latter group - i.e. the humble, who have a sense of just how conplex and social and natural worlds are. And even fewer psychologists.

Instead, a strong training in systems and patterns and structures, that demands one find a complex but workable solution, inclines many who receive it to believe that they can apply their thinking to anything. The better the training - you mentioned 'a good university' - the stronger the belief. So in that sense, I was actually serious.
That's a pretty fair call for a few but I wouldn't think it would be a systematic bias. I'm an engineer also but influenced pretty heavily by the scientific method, I think all the people I try to role model are scientists like Feynman and Russell. I guess I'm guilty of thinking everyone I work with holds views like mine, but throughout uni and my working life guys like him seemed a minority. I think this specific psychosis of his is more because he's always been the smartest man in the room and always listened to but he's getting older and has to be more extreme to catch people's attention.

And yes... its not good.

GO Catters
Thinking of bailing out to Australia?

My mother has been a social worker for nearly 30 years primarily in child protection. She has faced every kind of situation there is, sometimes when I was a kid she'd just kick us out the kitchen and cry while doing the dishes. I've never seen her her as worried as she is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back