Sport All things CRICKET

Remove this Banner Ad

One positive is that 12 months out of the game at this level doesn't seem to have hurt Smith too much - if anything it may have given him the chance to refresh the body and could see him extend his career, because right now he is one of the few positives from a batting perspective

One positive is that 12 months out of the game at this level doesn't seem to have hurt Smith too much - if anything it may have given him the chance to refresh the body and could see him extend his career, because right now he is one of the few positives from a batting perspective
How much we have missed him so much, and is far our best batsman still, and hasn't played test cricket for over 12 months... 5 wickets down.... Bloody joke. Lol going for Geelong ain't to bad after all..

Watching the first session of this match makes me glad I did my best to watch various matches from the womens Ashes series - a cricket team we can be proud of

Can we get Elise Perry into the squad... She is far the best All Rounder we have by a mile.
I believe it was the during the second T20 they played where she became the first cricketer (male or female) to score 1000 runs & take 100 wickets in T20 internationals

Reading some comments online someone said about time she started earning what she's worth and one reply was "when her skills improve then they can ask" - WTF, she just achieved something the men haven't, isn't that a good indication of where the skill levels are?

Smith is easily the greatest batsmen I've seen.
I giggle when I see him bat, I played to a pretty high level and I was a very orthodox batsmen and Smith is anything but.
I laugh when I see him shuffle to his off stump and play what would be a ball half a foot outside off and on a good length, off his legs through square.....
I laugh because it looks so stupidly wrong, but I continue laughing because he nails it again and again and again.
He's a freak, in the nicest way possible.

I believe it was the during the second T20 they played where she became the first cricketer (male or female) to score 1000 runs & take 100 wickets in T20 internationals

Reading some comments online someone said about time she started earning what she's worth and one reply was "when her skills improve then they can ask" - WTF, she just achieved something the men haven't, isn't that a good indication of where the skill levels are?

Problem with womens cricket, and sport in general, is they are only worth what they bring in and not by talent, and unfortunately womens sport just doesn't bring in the dollars like the mens. Yet atleast.
I agree athletes like Perry should be on some really good money that reflects how good they are, it's just not reality at the moment.

Smith is easily the greatest batsmen I've seen.
I giggle when I see him bat, I played to a pretty high level and I was a very orthodox batsmen and Smith is anything but.
I laugh when I see him shuffle to his off stump and play what would be a ball half a foot outside off and on a good length, off his legs through square.....
I laugh because it looks so stupidly wrong, but I continue laughing because he nails it again and again and again.
He's a freak, in the nicest way possible.
Funnily enough as great as he is, from players I’ve seen I wouldn’t even have him in my top 3.

Ponting.
Sachin.
De Villiers.

No particular order

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough as great as he is, from players I’ve seen I wouldn’t even have him in my top 3.

Ponting.
Sachin.
De Villiers.

No particular order

I have him above all 3.
Ponting was phenomenal but I'm not sure he could be as consistently arse-saving like Smith, he had a bit more freedom to play his way and do so with brilliant players all around him. A luxury Smith doesn't have, it's a small point of difference sure, but it's my point of difference.
Sachin was great, but I feel he's a bit over-rated. A bloke who batted mostly on pitches that suited him and played for 97 thousand years. He was brilliant at home, only great away.
De Villiers I didn't see much of the last 5 years or so, so can't really comment.

Regardless this is mostly subjective, I'm 36 so saw plenty of GREAT batsmen over the years, half a dozen of them played for Australia, I just really like Smith. I think some of it is down to how unorthodox he is.
The funniest part? He started his test career as an ok leggie who could barely bat...

Feels like a repeat of comments from the other day, but how good is it to have Steve Smith back

This is just some of the ridiculous stats/records that he's bought up during this match

No he wasn't.
But he was more fun to watch in full flight.
I was in a cab in Brisbane early 2000's and the driver was an old first grade umpire and was telling me how when Hayden was batting they would constantly be changing the ball, because the grounds had a concrete gutter/curb around the bottom of the fence... And he was smashing the ball into it that hard he was bashing it out of shape

Just a ridiculously powerful unit

Last edited:
I was in a cab in Brisbane early 2000's and the driver was an old first grade umpire and was telling me how when Hayden was batting they would constantly be changing the ball, because the grounds had a concrete gutter/curb around the bottom of the fence... And he was smashing the ball into it that hard he was bashing it out of shape

Just a ridiculously powerful unit

He was a bully.
He and Langer were the perfect opening partnership, Hayden was the brute at one end who bullied balls wherever he wanted whereas Langer was the more calculated player who used timing and touch to pick gaps.
I loved going into lunch 0/120+ more often than not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back