Sport All things CRICKET

Remove this Banner Ad

6ac01d445af135e3678f54995ce0b6a0

Are you feeling more proud now?
Probably more proud of how the team handled itself on day-5 of the second test

Against some adversity, players dug in and held strong in trying circumstances. Somewhat maligned after only a few tests, full credit to Labuschagne and how he handled the situation he found himself i

Probably more proud of how the team handled itself on day-5 of the second test

Against some adversity, players dug in and held strong in trying circumstances. Somewhat maligned after only a few tests, full credit to Labuschagne and how he handled the situation he found himself i
I liked both. We absolutely can't underestimate the impact of winning the first test from the position the Aussies were in. 1-0 down in the series, then the Smith injury in second test I have no doubt it would've resulted in a collapse and 2-0 to England. The win created that buffer. Being ahead, away from home as the holders means getting ahead in the series is gold dust. Yes, to a large degree it was Smith-driven but the bowlers were also excellent. The bowlers were actually a bit more disappointing in the second test.

Fantastic not to throw away the match in the second test but it was the rain that saved us. In test number one, the boys saved themselves.

Great bowling and England are actually giving their wickets away far more easily (Aussies mostly got done by peaches in the perfect bowling conditions yesterday). Really frames how well Warner and Labuschagne did to get their scores as well.

It's a bowlers match. If any player from either team gets a century, it could be the match winner.

Loving the tweets from Michael Vaughan - without watching the match they tell the story succinctly

After play on day 1:

Before Play on day 2:

And play has started:

Part 1/2

Great bowling and England are actually giving their wickets away far more easily (Aussies mostly got done by peaches in the perfect bowling conditions yesterday). Really frames how well Warner and Labuschagne did to get their scores as well.

It's a bowlers match. If any player from either team gets a century, it could be the match winner.

Warner looks a totally different player this match compared with the first 2 matches - I know he wasn't exactly at his cleanest with the bat, but it was good to see the grit & determination with how he approached things

Warner looks a totally different player this match compared with the first 2 matches - I know he wasn't exactly at his cleanest with the bat, but it was good to see the grit & determination with how he approached things
He showed the value on an overcast English day of tucking the bat in with the forward defence rather than prodding at it and chasing the ball. So yes it missed his edge a dozen times off Broad alone when it was turning around corners but he was as safe as you could really be in that situation. Rode his luck but like you said showed the grit and application to muster some runs.

The non-existent middle order is an issue but thankfully Labuschagne has been fantastic - unlucky or bizarre dismissals in both cases as well. Without him we would be looking at the sort of situation England are in right now.

Cannot let the tail wag though. A lead of 50-80 runs minimum would be gold dust, as even making 200 would then surely post a very hard chase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance of our batsman realising that they actually have to contribute across 2 innings?

Be nice if they could, but unless we stuff up (again) they don't need to for us to retain the Ashes.

The worlds number one batsman (that bloke who can't score in England) and a champion quick (that bloke who isn't world class) look like getting us over the line.

*fingers crossed*

Be nice if they could, but unless we stuff up (again) they don't need to for us to retain the Ashes.

The worlds number one batsman (that bloke who can't score in England) and a champion quick (that bloke who isn't world class) look like getting us over the line.

*fingers crossed*
That delivery that got Root from Cummins was cricket pr0n

Smith and His Bowling Team have been largely superb. The latter have had some poor second innings closing ability. When they get to 4 or 5 wickets they need to keep their foot on the throat this time

Smith and His Bowling Team have been largely superb. The latter have had some poor second innings closing ability. When they get to 4 or 5 wickets they need to keep their foot on the throat this time
They get them 5 down with enough overs in the day and they'll roll through the tail.
Headingley was a tacky pitch that got better as the game went on, this has deteriorated.

They get them 5 down with enough overs in the day and they'll roll through the tail.
Headingley was a tacky pitch that got better as the game went on, this has deteriorated.
Agree with that. Even so we lost our heads when the hero flexed, as England have repeatedly to Smith. Happened at the previous test second innings too, again to Stokes. Get his scalp fairly early and we are done around tea I reckon.

Awesome effort to deservedly retain the Ashes in England for the first time in 18 years. Great response after Headingley, where they outplayed the opposition until the disastrous and freakish finale.

Batting wise there were serious deficiencies besides Smith and to a smaller degree Labuschagne once he came in. I'm never a fan of "but if you take this player out then this happens". He carried the ship but enough formed vital partnerships with him throughout those moments.

Ultimately though, it was Smith and a supremely proficient bowling attack with the depth and efficiency to overwhelm England in almost every innings. There have only been two innings where England could say they successfully won the battle while they were batting. This match it especially stood out because England didn't fold like a pack of cards- they fought like dogs and were resilient but still out matched and out classed.

The comment about "a team we could be proud of" (or lack thereof) stood out to me (sorry cats09) in this thread because from that point beyond they did exactly that. Earned respect and redemption after the soul destroying saga in South Africa. Played in the right spirit and did Australia proud.

Loving it

Based on the available evidence, the incident involving Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli was referred directly to the tribunal and Greene was not able to accept an early plea.

There are reports the Giants will argue the bruises and scratches around Marcus Bontempelli’s neck and face did not come from the incident with Greene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back