No Oppo Supporters All Things Essendon* - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rustica

Premium Platinum
Mar 7, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What a circus it's becoming at * Land. Daniher will likely leave, Hooker and Hurley on their last legs to be honest and Mosquito is out for next season as well. Rutten hasn't really done anything to prove his worth yet.. WHAT WAS SHIEL THINKING??? They have a lot more pain to come before they contend for anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hoddo22

All Australian
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
So, McKenna's retired.

When he and Saad were running gangbusters off halfback, * played a good brand of footy which could score quickly. With him being a write off this year and now he's unsurprisingly gone, coaches will sit heavily on Saad. Hence their crappy ball movement.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
When he and Saad were running gangbusters off halfback, * played a good brand of footy which could score quickly. With him being a write off this year and now he's unsurprisingly gone, coaches will sit heavily on Saad. Hence their crappy ball movement.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app
For some reason, Rutten's plonked him on the HFF, which completely wreaks his game.

You don't play HFF with a poor read of the game; pace and kicking alone don't work. Down back, they looked for him; up forward, he doesn't know where to be or when to get there.

Last edited:

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Possibly but he was not exactly an efficient user by foot..

Don't think he is a big loss for * myself.
Think we get it wrong with some of these Irish imports. We train them all to be Tadhg Kennelly, and we as fans look at what they do and think, "It's a lovely kicking action and a long kick, and he's fast, but he doesn't read the play particularly well nor does he really give it to the person in the right spot."

What a lot of them are as HBF's is the ball 80m closer to your goals in less than 3 seconds. That's the value. Sure, you don't get what you'd get from someone like Saad or Whitfield, but Whitfield once kicked 16 goals as a midfielder in a game of football and went at pick 1.

katmanblue

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What a circus it's becoming at * Land. Daniher will likely leave, Hooker and Hurley on their last legs to be honest and Mosquito is out for next season as well. Rutten hasn't really done anything to prove his worth yet.. WHAT WAS SHIEL THINKING??? They have a lot more pain to come before they contend for anything
I reckon we should offer a 2nd rounder for him, just to take the piss.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rustica

Premium Platinum
Mar 7, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I reckon we should offer a 2nd rounder for him, just to take the piss.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wonder if he has sleepless nights lmao.. he has f'ed up so badly imo. Got first class treatment from our recruitment team, let alone had the opportunity of bigger bodies (Cripps, Setterfield and Curnow) doing all the hard yards for him to use the ball uncontested.

Could be his or Mark Williams fault but * don't have any big bodied midfielders to shoulder the burden of the inside ball. Shiel is not a contested player but he is almost always in that centre square. Spewing, could have had him and Walshy/Murphy on the wings with Crippa, Setters and Ed playing the inside ball.

His loss at the end of the day. But it sucks seeing potential players who could have made a difference to our team make mistakes like that.

I see the Bombers as a bottom 5 side next few seasons.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This is not going to be a popular post, but I see 2020 Essendon similarly to how I saw 2016 Richmond. I see them doing something completely different, working in a weird direction compared to the rest of the comp, and it won't make sense what they're doing until they 'finish'.

For a team that doesn't have any true inside mids, they don't struggle to get the ball the way Richmond does. For a team that doesn't tackle, they don't struggle to get their opponents to kick to their intercept defenders, which almost all of their defense can do. They have a number of problems - of which allowing their opponents to take the ball from one end all the way to the other without any pressure is one, and their scoring when Daniher is not out there or performing is another - but they aren't insurmountable by any means. Sure, they'd need 4-6 players standing up and having career best years and they need to add 1-3 more players to their midfield rotation, but their problem is structural and gameplan related rather than personnel related.

It's like their coaches want to play a completely different brand to what they're telling Dodo to build the list for, or someone higher up in the club is interfering with the football department. In either case, I hope they don't get their act together, but I'm going to be unsurprised if things manage to click.

Now, someone go get a mod and red card me.

Aphrodite

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
This is not going to be a popular post, but I see 2020 Essendon similarly to how I saw 2016 Richmond. I see them doing something completely different, working in a weird direction compared to the rest of the comp, and it won't make sense what they're doing until they 'finish'.

For a team that doesn't have any true inside mids, they don't struggle to get the ball the way Richmond does. For a team that doesn't tackle, they don't struggle to get their opponents to kick to their intercept defenders, which almost all of their defense can do. They have a number of problems - of which allowing their opponents to take the ball from one end all the way to the other without any pressure is one, and their scoring when Daniher is not out there or performing is another - but they aren't insurmountable by any means. Sure, they'd need 4-6 players standing up and having career best years and they need to add 1-3 more players to their midfield rotation, but their problem is structural and gameplan related rather than personnel related.

It's like their coaches want to play a completely different brand to what they're telling Dodo to build the list for, or someone higher up in the club is interfering with the football department. In either case, I hope they don't get their act together, but I'm going to be unsurprised if things manage to click.

You rang!

BlueGum

Jan 16, 2016
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Megahertz

Jabba73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2009
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Vixens

Hey Aphrodite, can you please issue me with a temporary Mod licence so I can red card this post?

Happy to hand it back immediately thereafter. TIA

BigFrizz36

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

Don't think so. Hooker and Hurley are just about done. Without Joe their key forward stocks are Stewart, mckernan and Townsend. Read those names again and weep. No inside midfielders.their spine looks like like it will be the worst in the AFL shortly.
Ridley looks good, draper could be o.k. McGrath and saad are good footballers. Shiel and Merritt are over rated but passable. That's it. More holes than a sieve.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think so. Hooker and Hurley are just about done. Without Joe their key forward stocks are Stewart, mckernan and Townsend. Read those names again and weep. No inside midfielders.their spine looks like like it will be the worst in the AFL shortly.
Ridley looks good, draper could be o.k. McGrath and saad are good footballers. Shiel and Merritt are over rated but passable. That's it. More holes than a sieve.
... all of which could be true, because it reflects conventional wisdom. I'm terribly afraid they're doing something ahead of the curve, and it's going to work.

Top Bottom