No Oppo Supporters All Things Essendon* - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

blueblooded

Club Legend
Feb 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtics, AC Milan
This is not going to be a popular post, but I see 2020 Essendon similarly to how I saw 2016 Richmond. I see them doing something completely different, working in a weird direction compared to the rest of the comp, and it won't make sense what they're doing until they 'finish'.

For a team that doesn't have any true inside mids, they don't struggle to get the ball the way Richmond does. For a team that doesn't tackle, they don't struggle to get their opponents to kick to their intercept defenders, which almost all of their defense can do. They have a number of problems - of which allowing their opponents to take the ball from one end all the way to the other without any pressure is one, and their scoring when Daniher is not out there or performing is another - but they aren't insurmountable by any means. Sure, they'd need 4-6 players standing up and having career best years and they need to add 1-3 more players to their midfield rotation, but their problem is structural and gameplan related rather than personnel related.

It's like their coaches want to play a completely different brand to what they're telling Dodo to build the list for, or someone higher up in the club is interfering with the football department. In either case, I hope they don't get their act together, but I'm going to be unsurprised if things manage to click.

Now, someone go get a mod and red card me.
Richmond had Dustin Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance as their pillars and added in Prestia, Caddy etc. Essendon don’t have a Dustin Martin, nor a Rance, you would say Cotchin has been better than all of their midfielders so far. Daniher wants to leave and probably will. Not sure what they’re trying to do but reality is there list is very unbalanced. Doesn’t have key position forwards of note apart from Daniher and limited key backs coming through once Hooker and Hurley and they’re not far off that. But who knows their best is decent when they click.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Richmond had Dustin Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance as their pillars and added in Prestia, Caddy etc. Essendon don’t have a Dustin Martin, nor a Rance, you would say Cotchin has been better than all of their midfielders so far. Daniher wants to leave and probably will. Not sure what they’re trying to do but reality is there list is very unbalanced. Doesn’t have key position forwards of note apart from Daniher and limited key backs coming through once Hooker and Hurley and they’re not far off that. But who knows their best is decent when they click.
Essendon doesn't have and answer to Martin, but Cotchin wasn't the player then that he is considered to be now, and nor (to a certain extent) was Riewoldt. In 2017, Riewoldt was a colossal part of why they won that breakthrough flag by playing the most threatening dummy full forward in history, being used as a bluff as often as he was used properly. I rate Hurley higher than I do Rance; he's done about as well with less help.

Richmond looked unbalanced until it clicked, and no-one saw it coming because their game is if not completely new is built around repeat sprinting and sustaining pressure in a way that simply wasn't possible before them.

It's like hearing a song I'm familiar with but can't quite remember; I'm reaching for the words but the song just won't come. Essendon's list is built for speed, then outside accumulation, then burst power, then disposal quality, then proper structure; their priorities are strange. As I said, I hope they don't get their act together, but I've an unsettling feeling they might just shove it up everyone.

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Essendon doesn't have and answer to Martin, but Cotchin wasn't the player then that he is considered to be now, and nor (to a certain extent) was Riewoldt. In 2017, Riewoldt was a colossal part of why they won that breakthrough flag by playing the most threatening dummy full forward in history, being used as a bluff as often as he was used properly. I rate Hurley higher than I do Rance; he's done about as well with less help.

Richmond looked unbalanced until it clicked, and no-one saw it coming because their game is if not completely new is built around repeat sprinting and sustaining pressure in a way that simply wasn't possible before them.

It's like hearing a song I'm familiar with but can't quite remember; I'm reaching for the words but the song just won't come. Essendon's list is built for speed, then outside accumulation, then burst power, then disposal quality, then proper structure; their priorities are strange. As I said, I hope they don't get their act together, but I've an unsettling feeling they might just shove it up everyone.
Their game plan is unsustainable IMHO.
Their defence has been better this year, but their offense has been worse.

They rely on turnovers, speed and overlapping through the midfield, getting uncontested possessions up forward and easy goals. They play ETIHAD or whatever it is called, well because it suits fast precision football. They struggle against contested teams, like carlton, because we are happy to make it a slog and a contest after another. This is where their weakness, their lack of inside mids gets found out, as they dont win enough ball.

But, even going well they struggle the longer the year goes as the running at speed is taxing, and the lighter running players get smashed into and sorer as the year goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Their game plan is unsustainable IMHO.
Their defence has been better this year, but their offense has been worse.

They rely on turnovers, speed and overlapping through the midfield, getting uncontested possessions up forward and easy goals. They play ETIHAD or whatever it is called, well because it suits fast precision football. They struggle against contested teams, like carlton, because we are happy to make it a slog and a contest after another. This is where their weakness, their lack of inside mids gets found out, as they dont win enough ball.

But, even going well they struggle the longer the year goes as the running at speed is taxing, and the lighter running players get smashed into and sorer as the year goes on.
Richmond's pressure in 2017 was considered to be unsustainable, because no-one had done it to that point. Fast forward to the finals in 2019, and they were still ******* doing it. Geelong's take risks game was considered to be unsustainable due to how risky each use of the corridor is; they only stopped when Scott became coach, after 2 flags.

Beyond this, I don't disagree with you. My problem is that so many are looking at why Essendon won't succeed, instead of looking at what they do and have done well. Perhaps this isn't the thread for serious consideration of Essendon's game or list, but they're underperforming. I am going to wait until they genuinely start playing terrible football for a season before I declare them the busts that everyone has suddenly determined they are.

hoddo22

All Australian
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
If Daniher still is weighing up between Sydney and *, it's no contest. Sydney has some promising looking youngsters, gives effort and will be better coached.

20% drop in membership as well. Off field starting to get messy as well. They'll blame Covid but 5 other teams had increases whilst the tigers and eagles topped 100k.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

El Topo

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
This is not going to be a popular post, but I see 2020 Essendon similarly to how I saw 2016 Richmond. I see them doing something completely different, working in a weird direction compared to the rest of the comp, and it won't make sense what they're doing until they 'finish'.

For a team that doesn't have any true inside mids, they don't struggle to get the ball the way Richmond does. For a team that doesn't tackle, they don't struggle to get their opponents to kick to their intercept defenders, which almost all of their defense can do. They have a number of problems - of which allowing their opponents to take the ball from one end all the way to the other without any pressure is one, and their scoring when Daniher is not out there or performing is another - but they aren't insurmountable by any means. Sure, they'd need 4-6 players standing up and having career best years and they need to add 1-3 more players to their midfield rotation, but their problem is structural and gameplan related rather than personnel related.

It's like their coaches want to play a completely different brand to what they're telling Dodo to build the list for, or someone higher up in the club is interfering with the football department. In either case, I hope they don't get their act together, but I'm going to be unsurprised if things manage to click.

Richmond has their issues, but the player demographic was perfect for a team about to strike. *fc are all over the place, akin to our late Ratten and Malthouse phases.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Richmond has their issues, but the player demographic was perfect for a team about to strike. *fc are all over the place, akin to our late Ratten and Malthouse phases.
That's fair. But they've got some interesting meat and potatoes young talent - nothing spectacular, mind - and while they're extremely short KPP they kind of don't really need many, given how they play.

I've kind of gone full circle on them this year. At the start, I would've sworn they were as you assert in your post here. But now, I've given it a bit more thought and I've seen almost every game they've played, and I can see something nebulous there. There's method, and I don't think it's worked or realised yet, but they're trying something.

jj1978

Norm Smith Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's fair. But they've got some interesting meat and potatoes young talent - nothing spectacular, mind - and while they're extremely short KPP they kind of don't really need many, given how they play.

I've kind of gone full circle on them this year. At the start, I would've sworn they were as you assert in your post here. But now, I've given it a bit more thought and I've seen almost every game they've played, and I can see something nebulous there. There's method, and I don't think it's worked or realised yet, but they're trying something.
We're trying something too... doesn't mean it'll work... we still have a goalless quarter a game and have 5-7 goal run ons, and choke every other week.

El Topo

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton

yeah, I agree that they're too good to fully bottom out - the beauty of *fc is that they're too arrogant to proactively refresh the playing list ala Port Adelaide, so will be consigned to mid table finishes for the foreseeable future

Healer

All Australian
Apr 16, 2018
South West
AFL Club
Carlton

They've tried that before

:syringe: :syringe::syringe:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue_Fusion

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Their current stocks are taking them nowhere. Good news is, they're too blind to see that. So they'll persist with them for the next 3 years before realising they need a full list rebuild.

From that point, IF everything goes mostly well, it'll take about 6-7 years for their new list to nurture into a finals side.

Believe me they are at least 10 years away from a flag.

I'll never forget a few years ago Basil Zempilas was frothing over their forward line of Daniher and McKernan "Throw Stewart in there and you've got some real elite talent" lol what an absolute *******

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton

I'm also a bit worried about this gatorade.

people love to say "BuT rIcHmOnD wErE aLwAyS gOoD!!"

Richmond had just come off 3 consecutive embarrassing finals campaigns, followed by finishing 13th with a 100pt+ smacking in the final round, Deledio wanted out, there was almost a board spill, Dusty wasn't even "Dusty" yet, Cotchin had a default Brownlow 5 years prior and was seen as a poor leader, they spent their best years giving blokes like Chaplin and Morris games, Jack Riewoldt had gone from Coleman medallist to 'up-the-ground decoy', Dimma was universally hated by the supporters, Treloar snubbed them and the only big name to land there was a fat Chris Yarran.

I'll admit I personally can't see the list with Essendon, but nobody saw the list with Richmond in 2017, or Geelong in 07.

For a club as big as Essendon, and for being crap so long - I'm always worried about them tbh.

McGrath, Ridley, Shiel, Daniher, Hooker, Stringer, Fantasia, Tippa... it's not a horrid list.

Top Bottom