No Opposition Supporters All Things Essendon* - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Faz 2000

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Yeah this is a blight on the game no doubt!
I know Tippa is exciting to watch...but for those that bang on about him and how good he is I see this element in his game and I cant respect him purely based on this. Saw it again a couple of times in yesterdays game...the buckling of the knees to gain head high tackles...and from memory he didn't actually get free kicks for them which I am fine with.
He got clipped in the head/neck three times and got none of them. He was a bit stiff, but maybe the umps saw a pattern of leaning into it, too.

There were some howlers yesterday in the last quarter though. The entire game stopped - twice - and players from both sides were sure a free kick was there. That HTB non-decision was unbelievable. I forget who it was, but stepped around one tackle, got mown down from behind, dragged all the way to the ground... then farted out a handball. "Play on!" Or the free kick against Langdon when Baguley had a fistful of Langdon's jumper who did basically nothing wrong.

But I don't really blame "poor umpiring" on the umpires. It's the stupid number of rules and interpretations and rules that are at odds with eachother (contact below the knees vs high/in the back), and now, to the points made above, the staging and gaming from the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jezzajay

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Giants, Lakers
He got clipped in the head/neck three times and got none of them. He was a bit stiff, but maybe the umps saw a pattern of leaning into it, too.

There were some howlers yesterday in the last quarter though. The entire game stopped - twice - and players from both sides were sure a free kick was there. That HTB non-decision was unbelievable. I forget who it was, but stepped around one tackle, got mown down from behind, dragged all the way to the ground... then farted out a handball. "Play on!" Or the free kick against Langdon when Baguley had a fistful of Langdon's jumper who did basically nothing wrong.

But I don't really blame "poor umpiring" on the umpires. It's the stupid number of rules and interpretations and rules that are at odds with eachother (contact below the knees vs high/in the back), and now, to the points made above, the staging and gaming from the players.
I will just say it was obvious (to my eye) he dropped his weight and buckled his knees to gain the head high.
He knows what he's doing...just like Selwood etc.

Otherwise I agree, it was a shockingly adjudicated game and sits among many other games that are questionable... particularly this year.

JustaBattler

Everyone Looks Better In Blue
AFL Club
Carlton
It seems that all players are now encouraged to fall forward onto their stomachs and spread their arms begging for 'in the back' - gaming for frees is now endemic and a blight on the game. I wonder if the very obvious sling tackle on the Essendon player resulting in his head being smashed into the turf will cop the same treatment as Setterfield?

ODNBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
It seems that all players are now encouraged to fall forward onto their stomachs and spread their arms begging for 'in the back' - gaming for frees is now endemic and a blight on the game. I wonder if the very obvious sling tackle on the Essendon player resulting in his head being smashed into the turf will cop the same treatment as Setterfield?
If it doesn't I'd want a please explain sent to the AFL. It was actually a sling tackle, unlike Setterfield's, and if he doesn't get two weeks it's a complete farce.

teagueyubeauty

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
I saw that, absolutely identical to Setterfield. And again there was no second motion it was just the momentum of the player being tackled that caused the tackle to end up like it did. The player being tackled was definitely groggy afterwards.

Only difference was that the player being tackled had both arms pinned which is why I think Carlton should have appealed because that wasn’t the case and the player also has the responsibility to protect themselves when able to.

mrjones

Team Captain
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
That’s what I thought as well. They didn’t get over that moment and I must admit I was surprised a player at his level quite obviously played for a free kick...
I was a bit shocked as well, seemed out of character.
Still a champion but I would have struggled with that if Carlton were playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mediumsizered

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Channel 9 during ad breaks this evening summarising the main news items for the day including...
....Kevin Sheedy declaring the bombers to break their finals drought....

How riveting.
Slow news day. Channel 9 should leave the Dopers lovefest to Channel Timmy & Robbo's grubby newspaper.

teagueyubeauty

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
Love that stat....it’s all I have to reply with nowadays to my deadshit Essendon supporting mates.

No matter how hard they try they got nothing on that stat, to the point they don’t care bowing out in second week of finals just so they can remove it from the continuing records

AFL Club
Carlton
*don fans have been booing since Jesus was a baby. They must get an instruction video with each membership.

BOTH Essendon and Collingwood copped bad decisions (non-decisions).

*don historically blame everyone else but their players.

****-stain of a club.

Top Bottom