All things horse racing

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or are a lot of horses getting injured at the wrong times??!

Weakest Spring carnival fields we've had in a while.
I'd challenge a little bit, your notion of weakest spring in a while.

It's got some good talent, most years you get a dozen or so real good ones then it falls away a bit.

This year, we have Winx taking all before her, ok that's a given :)

But the Caulfield Cup has Humidor, Jon Snow, Bonaval, inference, Johannes Vermeer, making it very interesting plus others.
Melbourne Cup has Almandin as well, who knows Hartnell might run a cheeky race (not win but be cheeky, just doesn't quite statpy strong) so there's always some nice ones.
Even Amelie's Star.

2007 was this weakest in my view, since 1984, but EI (equine influenza) was the reason for that. Knocked out many many many horses.

I'd challenge a little bit, your notion of weakest spring in a while.

It's got some good talent, most years you get a dozen or so real good ones then it falls away a bit.

This year, we have Winx taking all before her, ok that's a given :)

But the Caulfield Cup has Humidor, Jon Snow, Bonaval, inference, Johannes Vermeer, making it very interesting plus others.
Melbourne Cup has Almandin as well, who knows Hartnell might run a cheeky race (not win but be cheeky, just doesn't quite statpy strong) so there's always some nice ones.
Even Amelie's Star.

2007 was this weakest in my view, since 1984, but EI (equine influenza) was the reason for that. Knocked out many many many horses.

Winx will scare everyone away from the cox. Will be a boring race.

Humidor's run the other week didn't impress me.

Jon Snow needs things to go his way.

Bonneval has the attributes to win but don't know what happened on Saturday.

And I genuinely think Hartnell is gone.
Watching him run on Saturday made me sad.

Normally I don't bet THAT much but I had a great day on Thursday.

Was just punting at Ballarat for an interest to try and stay awake because I had a meeting at 4pm and I did not sleep at all the night before because I had work to do that had an 8am deadline and as the irresponsible 21 year old I am I decided it'd be ok if I got drunk before 2am and then sobered up with an hour nap and did the work.

Worked out pretty well for me. Didnt sleep for about 26 hours straight but got s**t done and landed some big bets which allowed me to have fun on Saturday.

Ended up with around $1200 on Saturday I know it's taboo to post your winnings but it was a fantastic day for me I don't normally win haha..... Could have had $1600 but the harness and the dish lickers always undo me.

I put $100 on a $2.25 fav greyhound with the name Ricciardo in it because I love Daniel Ricciardo the formula One driver and it fell over on its ass basically straight away as soon as it got out of the gates so I said nope that's enough for me.

I ordered some new parts for my PC and bought some new Adidas shoes. All hail the punt hey.

Btw the biggest single bet I've ever had was $1000 on capitalist in the magic millions a few years ago. @ $1.95

That thing was a certainty to win. I miss capitalist. Hopefully it breeds some good ones.
Good spend it and don't give it back. Stay with your original stake.

Good spend it and don't give it back. Stay with your original stake.

Normally I just chuck 150 in the account on Saturday and start with 10 dollar each way bets on the first few races to try and kick on and if there are big races on I always make sure I place bets on them first before doing anything else.

If I can't get anything then I can't get anything.

Wednesday is usually a lucky day for me so sometimes I have a crack there too.

Once I have a few drinks I tend to get quite silly and that's also coincidentally around the time the harness and dogs come on so I have to muster up a lot of self control lol.

Normally I don't bet THAT much but I had a great day on Thursday.

Was just punting at Ballarat for an interest to try and stay awake because I had a meeting at 4pm and I did not sleep at all the night before because I had work to do that had an 8am deadline and as the irresponsible 21 year old I am I decided it'd be ok if I got drunk before 2am and then sobered up with an hour nap and did the work.

Worked out pretty well for me. Didnt sleep for about 26 hours straight but got s**t done and landed some big bets which allowed me to have fun on Saturday.

Ended up with around $1200 on Saturday I know it's taboo to post your winnings but it was a fantastic day for me I don't normally win haha..... Could have had $1600 but the harness and the dish lickers always undo me.

I put $100 on a $2.25 fav greyhound with the name Ricciardo in it because I love Daniel Ricciardo the formula One driver and it fell over on its ass basically straight away as soon as it got out of the gates so I said nope that's enough for me.

I ordered some new parts for my PC and bought some new Adidas shoes. All hail the punt hey.

Btw the biggest single bet I've ever had was $1000 on capitalist in the magic millions a few years ago. @ $1.95

That thing was a certainty to win. I miss capitalist. Hopefully it breeds some good ones.
Dude you are channeling my university career! I ended up betting professionally through the 90s BUT my biggest bet was $100 in all that time (Average bet was $30)! That $1000 bet, winner or loser its worrying, think about this. $1000 will be a weeks wages for most and you bet it in one go, take it easy mate, betting out of control can only mean one thing, a lifetime of stress.
i am not usually the nagging type but i have seen people lose control of their lives cos of gambling way too much.

Dude you are channeling my university career! I ended up betting professionally through the 90s BUT my biggest bet was $100 in all that time (Average bet was $30)! That $1000 bet, winner or loser its worrying, think about this. $1000 will be a weeks wages for most and you bet it in one go, take it easy mate, betting out of control can only mean one thing, a lifetime of stress.
i am not usually the nagging type but i have seen people lose control of their lives cos of gambling way too much.

That was the only time I had ever bet 1000 and I regret it as soon as I put it on. But the thrill was incredible.

You're absolutely right though. Gambling is very dangerous and at my young age I'm still trying to figure out the value of money.

I don't think I'll ever be able to stop though. Horse racing is in the blood. It's just all about making smart decisions, and I've gotten better.

What I don't understand is the people like BadForm and choo and BigPunters etc etc for those that go on punters.com.au

Those blokes punt like 24/7 hahahaha.

Wednesday at Caulfield.

Does Caulfield need the middle Day?

Unsure on this.

I enjoyed the day, yes. Was busy in some sections.
One or two areas closed, which is fair enough.

But shouldn't the track be there for the big two days? Especially with the 1,000 guineas now moved from Wednesday to Saturday of the Guineas?

Can't wait till Saturday :)

Royal Symphony to the Cox Plate, music to my ears.

Can, and think will, run 2nd to the mighty mare.
I like the horse but am starting to think it is a repeat of Alpine Eagles *also trained by McEvoy) career, started off in a blaze of glory, but took on too much and never reached its potential. Cox plate is going to be really weak besides Winx so he may run 2nd, but i would have saved him for an easy kill in the Carbine Club stakes just to get a little bit of confidence then put him away til Autumn. Will be a big mistake if he goes to the Derby

Wednesday at Caulfield.

Does Caulfield need the middle Day?

Unsure on this.

I enjoyed the day, yes. Was busy in some sections.
One or two areas closed, which is fair enough.

But shouldn't the track be there for the big two days? Especially with the 1,000 guineas now moved from Wednesday to Saturday of the Guineas?

Can't wait till Saturday :)
Absolutely it should be on a Wednesday and they should move the 1000 guineas back to this day along with the Coongy. Its a carnival, they should showcase every day. I used to love that the Newmarket was on a Saturday and Australian Cup on a Monday, it made the long weekend awesome, but they took away the Monday and now its a crappy weekend. Same with the Showday Cup, Metrop and Epsom. and a few other days. Public Holidays are boring now. its taken the focus away from major racing. They devalue the big Saturdays by racing the night before. I think they should race on a Friday night and Saturday only pre the Cox Plate.
As for protecting the tracks.. it never used to be a problem pre watering..

I like the horse but am starting to think it is a repeat of Alpine Eagles *also trained by McEvoy) career, started off in a blaze of glory, but took on too much and never reached its potential. Cox plate is going to be really weak besides Winx so he may run 2nd, but i would have saved him for an easy kill in the Carbine Club stakes just to get a little bit of confidence then put him away til Autumn. Will be a big mistake if he goes to the Derby
Interesting comparison, I don't agree with you but I like the way you've thought about it.

He's a much, much more sound horse than Alpine Eagle. And has produced better speed figures if you were to put them side-by-side at similar points in their career (AE only had the one run as a 2yo). I really like the Cox Plate path. Will top him off perfectly for the Derby, which he should trot in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting comparison, I don't agree with you but I like the way you've thought about it.

He's a much, much more sound horse than Alpine Eagle. And has produced better speed figures if you were to put them side-by-side at similar points in their career. I really like the Cox Plate path. Will top him off perfectly for the Derby, which he should trot in.
Am Keen on Tavistock Abbey. Bred to run the distance, beat Main Stage on his merits and MS was huge winning last week improving all the time and Freedman is flying. Not Convinced being by Domesday RS will run the distance.

Am Keen on Tavistock Abbey. Bred to run the distance, beat Main Stage on his merits and MS was huge winning last week improving all the time and Freedman is flying. Not Convinced being by Domesday RS will run the distance.
Good horse, TA.

Main Stage sustained a serious final 800m sprint home, he was super impressive. He could be a real aerobic freak that'll be a cups contender come 2018.

Another interesting one pedigree/distances. When doing the form/pricing a market I don't look at the breeding at all, I let the figures tell me whether or not a horse will run the trip. E.G Amelie's Star, a genuine Caulfield Cup chance, is by Testa Rossa. Who'd have thought?

The
Good horse, TA.

Main Stage sustained a serious final 800m sprint home, he was super impressive. He could be a real aerobic freak that'll be a cups contender come 2018.

Another interesting one pedigree/distances. When doing the form/pricing a market I don't look at the breeding at all, I let the figures tell me whether or not a horse will run the trip. E.G Amelie's Star, a genuine Caulfield Cup chance, is by Testa Rossa. Who'd have thought?
These days not many horses are bred to run distances anyway but i still think its a factor in winning races. When i pro punted in the 90s breeding was vital in my picking winners ( eg Rory Jester horses never won much after they turned 3 or got to a distance 1600m or further yet they started favorite a lot) Nowdays i look less, but when there is a one off race for 3yos over 2500 i think its vitally important.
One of my greatest tipping performances was tipping Fire Oak to win the Derby at 40/1 when Centro was a short fave, that was a good day! and that was purely on breeding.

All roads for the Caulfield Cup lead to ....................................... Ventura Storm.

Giddy Up.
Whilst not for me, I respect him, and one for the multiples.

I'm very keen to see him in Saturday then determine how he might go 17 days hence.

Just finished pricing up Caulfield Saturday, spent close to two hours on the Caulfield Cup - and boy oh boy. Its a genuine raffle.

Humidor big price off super platform run before forgive v. Winx, Johannes Vermeer is elite and top pick (marked $4.00 v.market $4.60).

Best roughie is Inference who comes off two fairly luckless runs @ 1800m/2000m and will only improve again to 2400m.

Its a magnificent race, no clear stand-out but a field of tremendous depth & class.

So tough this race.

I'm a bit tired of Lloyd buying his success. So I'll pass on the favourite.

It's a tough race alright but hard to go past past Humidor who is the class horse in the race and regardless of what some experts said about his last run, take Winx out of the race and it was a solid effort as he found the line well.

Good fast finishing effort from Johannes Vermeer last weekend and deserves favouritism.

I reckon at 51kgs Amelie's Star is a sneaky chance.

For those that love the multi's chuck in Jon Snow, Ventura Storm and Inference.....box 6 trifecta or;

Rove Humidor and Johannes Vermeer with the field and hope an outsider gets up.

Good luck all :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back