All things horse racing

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing out of this years Caulfield Cup has much chance, it was a very ordinary edition, Marmelo probably the best of them but he is ridiculous odds right now. Boom Time reminds me of Fraar, had his birthday after getting ridden well but no where near good enough to win a Melbourne Cup
Yes a good summation.

I'm not sure it was a weak cup year, was good level but just not highest reaches

Nothing out of this years Caulfield Cup has much chance, it was a very ordinary edition, Marmelo probably the best of them but he is ridiculous odds right now. Boom Time reminds me of Fraar, had his birthday after getting ridden well but no where near good enough to win a Melbourne Cup

Yeah I'd have to agree with you on this.

My tips so far are;

Almandin - has done it once so no reason why it won't go back to back.

Johannes Vermeer - was a bit unlucky on the weekend but ran a good race to finish off for 3rd and tracking well......only query is the distance but everything suggest he'll run it out.

Marmelo - ran home strongly in the cup and the distance won't be a concern, just really hard to gage the quality of the international races and there small fields but should run well.

Who Shot Thebarman - an outsider and getting a bit long in the tooth but can run the distance as we know and might be a chance to sneak a place.

Yeah I'd have to agree with you on this.

My tips so far are;

Almandin - has done it once so no reason why it won't go back to back.

Johannes Vermeer - was a bit unlucky on the weekend but ran a good race to finish off for 3rd and tracking well......only query is the distance but everything suggest he'll run it out.

Marmelo - ran home strongly in the cup and the distance won't be a concern, just really hard to gage the quality of the international races and there small fields but should run well.

Who Shot Thebarman - an outsider and getting a bit long in the tooth but can run the distance as we know and might be a chance to sneak a place.

Like your selections - I’m on Almandin to do it again (had several CC runners on the weekend into Almandin for MC). Have some other runners at high odds for MC placed a few weeks back.

Ill probably end up boxing your selections above (minus JV) along with Rekindling/Red Cardinal/Boom Time/Bondi for a First 4

In the Caulfield Cup are we missing the obvious?

Single Gaze? Almighty run.
Did a lot, finished well?

(the big question will be will the first two produce something like what they did again?)

In the Caulfield Cup are we missing the obvious?

Single Gaze? Almighty run.
Did a lot, finished well?

(the big question will be will the first two produce something like what they did again?)
I was on Single Gaze but thought it was tiring, extra distance a problem?

That is an issue.

Funny thing, every year, a whole bunch of them are travelling quite well in the Melbourne Cup then last 800 meters, last 600m, especially last 400m a whole bunch of them go "that's it, I'm stuffed" and walk in so to speak.

That is an issue.

Funny thing, every year, a whole bunch of them are travelling quite well in the Melbourne Cup then last 800 meters, last 600m, especially last 400m a whole bunch of them go "that's it, I'm stuffed" and walk in so to speak.

Yeah that's it, the problem with the MC is we don't know if they'll run the distance or not......I've watched the replay of the CC over and over again and still don't know what to make of it......not taking anything away from the the 2 first horses cause they were great runs but are they gunna get the same kinda run in the MC and secondly will they run the distance. Single Gaze did hold on well and like you say ran an almighty race.

It's always hard to go past proven horses in the cup, ones that you know can see the distance out but I also look at ones that finish off really well in the CC and those lead up races and Marmelo was certainly one that did that.

Lord Fandango is not an acceptor in the Melbourne Cup.

Which is odd for an OTI horse. By his run today he'd be a live top 10 horse ($125,000 or thereabouts in prize money).

I'm talking out of my kick but he would've gone very close in the CC if he drew a barrier. cover a heap of ground and still loomed up 150m out. huge run.

She was the run of the race. She had to cart the field up to the tearaway leader and held on really really well, Melbourne Cup is a different race, I think this year we will have the same type of pace because Lloyd will have many runners and he will make sure its truly run. she will struggle the last bit. I love the mare though she is very honest, just short of top quality

Yeah that's it, the problem with the MC is we don't know if they'll run the distance or not......I've watched the replay of the CC over and over again and still don't know what to make of it......not taking anything away from the the 2 first horses cause they were great runs but are they gunna get the same kinda run in the MC and secondly will they run the distance. Single Gaze did hold on well and like you say ran an almighty race.

It's always hard to go past proven horses in the cup, ones that you know can see the distance out but I also look at ones that finish off really well in the CC and those lead up races and Marmelo was certainly one that did that.
Inside played well, front running played well on Saturday.

Overall the history says the Caulfield Cup is a super and best guide.

But not a given. Barriers and easy runs will play a roll if the inside is favourable. But Flemington plays ok by Cup time.

Always the great intrigue the staying part of it. That's why I loved Bart as he was so good getting his horses to relax, switch off. At least the really good ones went on to run super.

Relaxing is the key.

I'm talking out of my kick but he would've gone very close in the CC if he drew a barrier. cover a heap of ground and still loomed up 150m out. huge run.
Yes a better inside run he might have run place yes, the rest as in winning? Who knows. Was career best for him at that level I'd suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think I will back Kaspersky (my security program) to run a place. The Russians seems to be able to fix anything.:p
And Michelle Payne on board too, I believe

Every horse will gain min $100,000 prize money.

An astute trainer could have nominated, owners pay the acceptance fees, trainer gets 10% that's a lazy $10k for the trainer.

Every horse will gain min $100,000 prize money.

An astute trainer could have nominated, owners pay the acceptance fees, trainer gets 10% that's a lazy $10k for the trainer.
$440,000 for second, so I can't understand why more decent quality horses don't run.
So what if you're running for second?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back