All things horse racing

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Humans have a choice.
Yes they do.
And many choose to slaughter animals to eat them.
Often throwing away heaps of food (meat) and wasting heaps of meat. You don’t think at dinner time lots of chicken or heavens forbid some dry steak isn’t junked.
Animals don’t have choices to be killed for eg fancy shoes, couches, nice car seats.

All gets down to how does one see animals in the pecking order.
Equal to humans?
Above humans?
Below humans?

At the end, everyone will justify their own viewpoints to suit their disposition.
We’re all part of the same hypocrisy.

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes they do... At the end, everyone will justify their own viewpoints to suit their disposition.
We’re all part of the same hypocrisy.

A problem with this mode of argument Saintly is that it means that no ethical action becomes worthwhile, indeed justifiable, unless it is accompanied by ethical purity.

So a non-gambling, non-drinking vegan who has a low carbon footprint becomes one of the few who can voice concern about the racing industry. And, of course, look deeper at this person and they may have not paid tax on cash income etc etc

Reasons can be judged independently of whether the person has ethical flaws and inconsistencies.

I feel for you in this debate because you love horses, the industry, and are a really good guy (based upon consistently decent and friendly posts).

Saturday night hugs : )

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
A problem with this mode of argument Saintly is that it means that no ethical action becomes worthwhile, indeed justifiable, unless it is accompanied by ethical purity.

So a non-gambling, non-drinking vegan who has a low carbon footprint becomes one of the few who can voice concern about the racing industry. And, of course, look deeper at this person and they may have not paid tax on cash income etc etc

Reasons can be judged independently of whether the person has ethical flaws and inconsistencies.

I feel for you in this debate because you love horses, the industry, and are a really good guy (based upon consistently decent and friendly posts).

Saturday night hugs : )
Awww thanks Ben.

You are of course very correct, as it’s still valid to discuss and offer opinions without being pure.

Overall, however, I’m still of the view that animals are below humans on the pecking order and we can use them for eating, pleasure, pursuits with proviso we treat them well and properly.

Awww thanks Ben.

You are of course very correct, as it’s still valid to discuss and offer opinions without being pure.

Overall, however, I’m still of the view that animals are below humans on the pecking order and we can use them for eating, pleasure, pursuits with proviso we treat them well and properly.
Except the racing industry & boxing industry attracts human refuse.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
One day people may discover the process to gain milk from the cow.

As I understand, the milk doesn’t just appear in the udder.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Look i agree with you, it does, BUT they are in the minority, Football and cricket clubs is something else you can add to this list.
I read in another thread you like to shoot animals, thats all well and good but have you ever injured an animal and not killed it? is that cruel too? Why do some animals deserve it but horses dont (isnt that hypocritical)? You said you like pokies... well you are entitled to that opinion as well, I despise them. They have taken the soul out of every hotel that has them, destroyed the live music scene especially in the suburbs. Thats besides all the other harm they have brought into Victoria since they were introduced. Thats gambling by the way.
I am not having a go at you personally, but i think a lot of people bring along prejudices without actually seeing the full picture.
Racing Industry has done a really bad job of publicising their sport, they are the ones who should approach PETA and the animal welfare groups and show them that their practices are not cruel at all, and if they were doing some things badly then it could be fixed. But as i have said before it is run by incompetents who have basically run the sport into the ground

Look i agree with you, it does, BUT they are in the minority, Football and cricket clubs is something else you can add to this list.
I read in another thread you like to shoot animals, thats all well and good but have you ever injured an animal and not killed it? is that cruel too? Why do some animals deserve it but horses dont (isnt that hypocritical)? You said you like pokies... well you are entitled to that opinion as well, I despise them. They have taken the soul out of every hotel that has them, destroyed the live music scene especially in the suburbs. Thats besides all the other harm they have brought into Victoria since they were introduced. Thats gambling by the way.
I am not having a go at you personally, but i think a lot of people bring along prejudices without actually seeing the full picture.
Racing Industry has done a really bad job of publicising their sport, they are the ones who should approach PETA and the animal welfare groups and show them that their practices are not cruel at all, and if they were doing some things badly then it could be fixed. But as i have said before it is run by incompetents who have basically run the sport into the ground
I don't believe footy or cricket clubs have anywhere near the shitstains that are involved in the racing/boxing industries. It's also a lot harder to "fix" a footy match, cricket of course has had it's spot fixing, mainly the subcontinent.

I do not like to shoot animals AT ALL!! However living in a rural area I feel it's necessary to take out vermin like rabbits & feral cats. I've never let an animal suffer, even vermin if I can. If you read my earlier posts about cats I mentioned that I let go a mother that I had caged as her kittens would've starved. I couldn't do that even though the end result will be the same. As you mentioned I've now shot one of those kittens but it was fully weaned.

I do not like pokies AT ALL!! What I said was I prefer people have freedom of choice & we should address the "why" they do it & how can we educate problem gamblers. I'm a believer in personal responsibility, not taking away choice.

Run the "sport" into the ground? Sorry but the racing industry has been full of crims & despicable "humans" since whenever the first race was run. Is there really a person alive who would dispute that? How would the "sport" go if gambling was taken out of it?

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't believe footy or cricket clubs have anywhere near the shitstains that are involved in the racing/boxing industries. It's also a lot harder to "fix" a footy match, cricket of course has had it's spot fixing, mainly the subcontinent.

I do not like to shoot animals AT ALL!! However living in a rural area I feel it's necessary to take out vermin like rabbits & feral cats. I've never let an animal suffer, even vermin if I can. If you read my earlier posts about cats I mentioned that I let go a mother that I had caged as her kittens would've starved. I couldn't do that even though the end result will be the same. As you mentioned I've now shot one of those kittens but it was fully weaned.

I do not like pokies AT ALL!! What I said was I prefer people have freedom of choice & we should address the "why" they do it & how can we educate problem gamblers. I'm a believer in personal responsibility, not taking away choice.

Run the "sport" into the ground? Sorry but the racing industry has been full of crims & despicable "humans" since whenever the first race was run. Is there really a person alive who would dispute that? How would the "sport" go if gambling was taken out of it?
76, I'm a hypocrite.
As I have no probs with pokies, I believe what we do, ingest is up to the individual & feel for society to go fwd this is a good thing. Treat the why is my philosophy.
thats your quote lol
so why can you let pokies go but not horse racing?
Have you ever been to stables? have you ever been to a racecourse and looked at the horses? Have you ever studied the statistics in regards to injuries for horses on the racetrack compared to them wandering paddocks? Have you ever seen how pampered and loved they are ? have you ever seen kids with horses and the way they light up when they are around them?

AS i said yes there are unseemly characters in racing, Thats the people who run the industries fault.! I could write a 1000 page thesis on this! but i will spare you!, But "you believe" that it is "full of" crims and desperates? not quite. Same percentage as any other industry. As i said that is the industries fault for dropping the ball in regards to governance and publicity.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

oh and i was misread your shooting thing. i apologise

76, I'm a hypocrite.
As I have no probs with pokies, I believe what we do, ingest is up to the individual & feel for society to go fwd this is a good thing. Treat the why is my philosophy.
thats your quote lol
so why can you let pokies go but not horse racing?
Have you ever been to stables? have you ever been to a racecourse and looked at the horses? Have you ever studied the statistics in regards to injuries for horses on the racetrack compared to them wandering paddocks? Have you ever seen how pampered and loved they are ? have you ever seen kids with horses and the way they light up when they are around them?

AS i said yes there are unseemly characters in racing, Thats the people who run the industries fault.! I could write a 1000 page thesis on this! but i will spare you!, But "you believe" that it is "full of" crims and desperates? not quite. Same percentage as any other industry. As i said that is the industries fault for dropping the ball in regards to governance and publicity.
Badly worded, when I said I have no probs with pokies I meant I have no problem now that they are legal.
Personally I don't like the things, I find them boring.

Sth Melb Hellas

Senior List
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Being a complete horse-racing newbie, can someone outline for me the exact stuff that's gone down over the last few days and its implications?

Racing stable has been caught juicing and tanking their horses - there wouldn't be a freeman alive who hasn't participated in this type of skullduggery before. Anything for competitive edge. If it's good enough for dishlickers to be woken every hour on the hour for the tank, then a stomach full of bicarb for a win is nothing.

Eventually it will lead to the racing committee, fairly certain police will be involved. One person heavily lawyered up at $3500 a day. From Bailey's front door being blasted (Commandment No.7) to this latest scandal, it's been an interesting few years.

Last edited:

Sth Melb Hellas

Senior List
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

There is zero chance you'll ever get PETA onside.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sth Melb Hellas

Senior List
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I disagree, but you got to be proactive. you go to them first and show them whats going on. dont wait til they kick up a stink and then its a shitfight.

I think you need to read the PETA manifesto. :thumbsu:

They weigh more than 500 kilograms, are supported by ankles the size of a human’s and are whipped and forced to run around tracks that are often made of hard-packed dirt at speeds of more than 50 kilometres per hour while carrying people on their backs. Horses used for racing are victims of an industry that is rife with drug abuse, injuries and race fixing, and many of their careers end at the abattoir............Help phase out this exploitative “sport” by refusing to patronise existing tracks, lobbying against the construction of new tracks and educating your friends and family about the tragic lives that racehorses lead.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Winx will win Tommorow as it's Rigged as same Horse Trainer has 7 other Horses in the Race
You don’t have to rig anything if you have a superstar horse.
She’s just that good

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Winx will win Tommorow as it's Rigged as same Horse Trainer has 7 other Horses in the Race
Ps the trainer if Winx only had two other runners so three in total.

You don’t have to rig anything if you have a superstar horse.
She’s just that good

Then why did the Crack the Shits when there Jockey could not Ride Her.

IF she is so good why could she not win with another Jockey?

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Then why did the Crack the Shits when there Jockey could not Ride Her.

IF she is so good why could she not win with another Jockey?
Yes she could have with any jockey.
Sometimes people just get a bit superstitious and don’t won’t too much change.

Ps she is that good. Superstar.

Back