All things horse racing

Remove this Banner Ad

So the Cox Plate is the best race but it’s an easy kill?

I don’t see the logic. There aren’t the horses around to challenge her, and the owners aren’t stupid enough to run her over an unsuitable distance like the 1200m of the Everest, or make her carry the grandstand (over an equally unsuitable 3200m) in the Melbourne Cup.

Just enjoy her while you can.

The competition is weak but let’s face it, handicaps like the Melbourne Cup don’t have the prestige anymore. The best horses always get too much weight and don’t run. The Cox Plate is by far the best race of the year, and she wins it comfortably... with every other horse being ridden to pressure her, trap her on the fence, leave her flat-footed (a la Red Excitement)... it’s not her fault the competition isn’t good enough.
I’d actually say the weights of the Melbourne Cup are more compressed these days; but people are more scared of the weights.
Eg in decades past 10 stone was considered somewhat prohibitive and too taxing yet non horses won with that weight eg Poitrel.
But it’s what 62.5kg or something.
These days people hear 60kg and it’s run for the hills. Same even 58 or 59kg.
They forget WFA would be on 59kg for the older male horse.

Northerly bypassed the 2002 Melbourne Cup with 60kg I’d have run him.

True most just don’t handle the weight.

Winx is a star that’s true but to be all time best discussion really should have won a major Cup.

So the Cox Plate is the best race but it’s an easy kill?

I don’t see the logic. There aren’t the horses around to challenge her, and the owners aren’t stupid enough to run her over an unsuitable distance like the 1200m of the Everest, or make her carry the grandstand (over an equally unsuitable 3200m) in the Melbourne Cup.

Just enjoy her while you can.
I am lamenting the early 90s where our horses were the best in the world by far but we didn't know it. Since then our breeding industry and Asia have retired our horses early or sent the good geldings overseas so whats left is good mares and not much else. Shamus Award won a Cox plate as a maiden, in the early 90s he would struggle to win the 3yo race on the same day. Our racing has been diluted and thats why Winx is dominating. she is a star.. but one with an asterisk

I am lamenting the early 90s where our horses were the best in the world by far but we didn't know it. Since then our breeding industry and Asia have retired our horses early or sent the good geldings overseas so whats left is good mares and not much else. Shamus Award won a Cox plate as a maiden, in the early 90s he would struggle to win the 3yo race on the same day. Our racing has been diluted and thats why Winx is dominating. she is a star.. but one with an asterisk
We don’t have the big opponent for Winx.
Kementari might be the one danger horse tomorrow for the first start of Winx of her new campaign.

We don’t have the big opponent for Winx.
Kementari might be the one danger horse tomorrow for the first start of Winx of her new campaign.
She will beat him comfortably. Waller has entered speed horses to make sure the race is run to suit.
Showtime in the PB Lawrence tomorrow though... good odds my top pick!

She will beat him comfortably. Waller has entered speed horses to make sure the race is run to suit.
Showtime in the PB Lawrence tomorrow though... good odds my top pick!
As I said to a mate.
This is the danger race,
So she’ll win by 2 lengths easing through the line.

Interesting to see the club politics at the Brisbane Broncos right now.

Its a timeless story of a a club wanting to sack its coach because hes been there too long and is too old (68..ffs...its time already). A replacement has already apparently been lined up. The players causing a revolution thinking they run the club and that its their decision who should lead them. Latest news, Bennett has been offered a "front office" position.

Never heard this story before!!!!

Change is difficult.

History never repeats, I tell myself, before I go to sleep.

Winx

Superstar of the turf
26 wins in a row - new Australian record

:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back