All things horse racing

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The only reason i can think of as to why they sent him up there is they don't think he'll get 1600, it'll be interesting to see if they run him in the guineas, i don't think they will, if he's bright enough i think they'll give him a freshen and go for the Coolmore.

Being a colt he needs a G1 sprint this prep, the Coolmore is his best bet.

Last edited:
Bad day on the punt for me. Struggled all day.

Merchant Navy got a bad check but I don't think he travelled well at any stage. Will write off the run and forgive though, particularly back in Melbourne.

I was half watching the races on Ch78 on Saturday and they showed a race in NZ who had just? won a race and were raving about it being a chance in both cups but didn't catch the name. Anyone see it and can tell me the name? Thanks!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here's another old one owners are always ready before their horse.
:thumbsu:

And when an owner asks a smart trainer how much they charge a day to train a horse?

$110 a day if I train it,
$220 a day if you help me train it.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was half watching the races on Ch78 on Saturday and they showed a race in NZ who had just? won a race and were raving about it being a chance in both cups but didn't catch the name. Anyone see it and can tell me the name? Thanks!
Must be

Gingernuts

That won quite impressively at Hastings, and his third Group 1, the Windsor Plate (1600m) i Think it was.

He's an impressive horse from NZ. Won well in the Autumn in Sydney this year too, winning the Rosehill Guineas.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Flemington on Wednesday

They are running the old Geelong derby and Oaks trial races here at Flemington now.

Suspect we won't see the winnersig the classics from these races.

Pinot did win the Oaks trial well though

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Flemington on Wednesday

They are running the old Geelong derby and Oaks trial races here at Flemington now.

Suspect we won't see the winnersig the classics from these races.

Pinot did win the Oaks trial well though
Was out there trading in the Atrium today, and did a bit of on course/cash exchange trying to take a position.

Faith In Hand (R4) - worth following up in trip, ran a solid figure resuming.

Forgive Anchor Bid (R6) - pulled up with slow recovery, regardless raced flat 2nd up off big effort fresh. Will bounce back in the Wakeful.

Now the breakdown of Friday night begins. I've penned Mornington Saturday - focus Moonee Valley & Caulfield this weekend. Otherwise it becomes overwhelming.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was out there trading in the Atrium today, and did a bit of on course/cash exchange trying to take a position.

Faith In Hand (R4) - worth following up in trip, ran a solid figure resuming.

Forgive Anchor Bid (R6) - pulled up with slow recovery, regardless raced flat 2nd up off big effort fresh. Will bounce back in the Wakeful.

Now the breakdown of Friday night begins. I've penned Mornington Saturday - focus Moonee Valley & Caulfield this weekend. Otherwise it becomes overwhelming.
Yes Friday Sunday will suffice.
I'll ofcourse switch to Sydney racing even during GF time.
Epsom, metrop etc all worth a good look.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oscetria (Black Caviars daughter) very disappointing. I don't think we will see much of her before shes off to the breeding barn. Foals of star mares rarely produce very good horses, but the grandchildren often do,

I disagree Saintly i think the first 2 in the Derby trial have great upside, are in good stables and bred to stay. You dont have to be as good as you used to be to win Derbys these days. i would not write them off.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oscetria (Black Caviars daughter) very disappointing. I don't think we will see much of her before shes off to the breeding barn. Foals of star mares rarely produce very good horses, but the grandchildren often do,

I disagree Saintly i think the first 2 in the Derby trial have great upside, are in good stables and bred to stay. You dont have to be as good as you used to be to win Derbys these days. i would not write them off.
It's pretty simple, she's not much good.

Won (poor) Geelong maiden in average time, she's just not much chop.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm curious in the next few years if the move of the trial races from Geelong to Flemington sees the quality go up a few notches.

One thing you're pretty right about, the Victorian Derby is not always won by stars. Depends greatly on the year. Fire Oak, Redding both won Derbys as maidens.

Martini-Henri did likewise but then won the Melbourne Cup of 1883 - must have been a big sting back in the day.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's pretty simple, she's not much good.

Won (poor) Geelong maiden in average time, she's just not much chop.
And not big on the eye.
Whilst she's never going to be her mother, looks small.
Her mum had lovely size.
And you'd expect a bit of size with the sire Exceed And Excel a big bull of a stallion.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
And not big on the eye.
Her mum had lovely size.
And not big on the eye.
Her mum had lovely size.
No, she's a pony - very much in Mum's shadow physically; but thats no shame, there have been very few with the physical proportions of Black Caviar.

With that being the case, makes stepping up in trip difficult. Especially considering she's not the most clean-winded horse either.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm curious in the next few years if the move of the trial races from Geelong to Flemington sees the quality go up a few notches.

One thing you're pretty right about, the Victorian Derby is not always won by stars. Depends greatly on the year. Fire Oak, Redding both won Derbys as maidens.

Martini-Henri did likewise but then won the Melbourne Cup of 1883 - must have been a big sting back in the day.
Fire Oak is one of my favorite horses, I tipped him to everyone that year and he won at 40.1 Centro was favorite and a big lay. I think he only won 2 races in his career , trained by Gordon Yorke who still potters around up Coffs Harbour way.

Redding was a very good horse also. I was big on him after a great fast finishing third in the Vase the week before. Just had stayer written all him.

He had an injury plagued career after the Derby but from memory won another good race. Maybe the Turnbull the following year?

Back