Status
Not open for further replies.

Sman-21

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry to intrude i know things are tough here at the moment.

Jack Watts was recruited to be an answer to Melbournes forward problems.
He started his career there but due to being such a high draft pick the media wolves were out to get him demanding instant results.
Pressure became too much so they then tried to hide him down back.
He actually did an ok job as the loose man but lots of players can do ok when given so much freedom and no opponents.
Its time to stop hiding and babying him and put him in the role he was recruited for.

Your defence doesnt need him.
That Sellars looks more like a defender than a forward to me so Watts and Sellars in a straight swap.

I think if Watts was to stop being hidden and made to play up forward it will be much better for his development.
Give him a chance at the forward role but if he doesnt perform he gets dropped and has to earn the spot back.
No free rides.

This wont fix your problems, however it will help the development of Jack Watts which will help strengthen the forward line.

Sman-21 we're a reasonable lot on the Dees board so well take this OP on its merits for the time being.

Please be aware though that our posters have privilege in their replies and this is a subject matter which will be met with scepticism by some. You won't have the same leeway with your posts, just a heads up.

Cheers,

RandB

PS we only have the one Sellar on our list.

Hogan, Dawes Clark, Pedo, Watts That's too many talls. Watts needs to show some heart, that's the main issue here, I said from the get go, once a coach thinks his worth a tag, he'll get one, and then we'll see how good he is. Yesterday, he needed to demand the ball from defence, he didn't do that, I was sitting in the pocket the whole game, he had no voice.

I think just like Hawkins(Geelong)
Given the confidence and chance to prove himself and time to develop he would be a very good forward(not superstar)

Not a troll at all.
Dont waste my time viewing main board or bay13 etc.
Normally just come to check out the freo board and thats it.
Interested in young talented players fullfilling potential to make the overall competition a better spectacle.

So was just interested in Dees fans views on his development and where they think he should be played.
I understand he is a trolls easy target so guess thats why you guys automatically assume troll post.
Im the same on the Freo board when opposition supporters come in, didnt think about all that when making the post.
Was genuinely just after opinions.

Can delete if you want as it will prob attract trolls.

Watts had a shocker yesterday, but he is still our best kick coming out of defence. No point having him languishing up forward.

Sman-21 - Unfortunately we are too stacked with talls in the forward line (Clarke, Howe, Dawes, Pedo and Hogan in 2014) for him to warrant a spot there.

He has very good skills and is best utilised playing the Goddard type of role. However his biggest problem is he is lazy and lacks intestinal fortitude. I feel for him if he ever had to fight for his life as an AFL footballer (and wasnt a #1 pick), as he would probably just curl up in the fetal position and start sobbing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to intrude i know things are tough here at the moment.

Jack Watts was recruited to be an answer to Melbournes forward problems.
He started his career there but due to being such a high draft pick the media wolves were out to get him demanding instant results.
Pressure became too much so they then tried to hide him down back.
He actually did an ok job as the loose man but lots of players can do ok when given so much freedom and no opponents.
Its time to stop hiding and babying him and put him in the role he was recruited for.

Your defence doesnt need him.
That Sellars looks more like a defender than a forward to me so Watts and Sellars in a straight swap.

I think if Watts was to stop being hidden and made to play up forward it will be much better for his development.
Give him a chance at the forward role but if he doesnt perform he gets dropped and has to earn the spot back.
No free rides.

This wont fix your problems, however it will help the development of Jack Watts which will help strengthen the forward line.

Sounds like you know more about Watts than some of our coaches Jason

Jesse Hogan in 10 minutes has shown more aggression in a marking contest than Watts has shown in 5 years

If Watts is to continue to be developed as a KPP then he needs to be played there and understand that he WILL get crunched OFTEN

What i don't understand is Watts was drafted because he demonstrated the ability of being an excellent one grab PACK MARK, a good set shot for goal, a good decision maker, add to that his height and athletic ability ticked most of the boxes which is why he was drafted so high on everyone's draft pick order

He even won the Larke Medal

I have not seen Watts take a PACK MARK yet and do you know why ???

NOT PREPARED TO PUT HIS BODY ON THE LINE FOR THE TEAM

IF Neeld thinks he is an outside tall defender / sweeper then 7 possessions against the Power should tell him he is WRONG as it was down that end 70% of the day

A Fast and Tall Outside player who we all know has Footy Smarts and Ability has only one position he can play ......WING

No point him being on the ground otherwise

Obviously far from a Leader as he is the type that shouts advice and nobody hears it

I just don't want to see another Colin Sylvia who is a Laconic waste of talent

I know what Norm Smith would do with him (and that is AFTER he turned up to the club clean shaven and a decent haircut)

I have not seen Watts take a PACK MARK yet

bBi3wQ.gif

You have now.

Should've been watching our games more closely I reckon :)

He goes alright as the loose man when he can get free, but that's all for the cheap possies. Now that we have Dawes and Clark, Watts going up as the third man couldn't hurt. One of the three could play up at around half forward. Then when it comes to next year and we get Hogan in, it improves yet again. Could be the time to go for it. Got nothing to lose at this point, so there's no harm in trying. Just gotta find someone else to play the role Watts was in the backline. If the backline holds up, and the midfielders actually win some ball, it gives the guys like Clark, Dawes, Watts, Howe, Brynes etc. the chance to pounce and score. Make it happen!

Knee-jerk.

He suits the floating HB role perfectly (height, agility, good kick, reads play), hence why he was picked out by Port as the player to shut down on Sunday.

Just needs to work out how to break a tag. He'll get there. Would help if there was another player in our back half who could kick.

Sorry to pop in, but I'm a big Watts fan and I'm just getting frustrated with his development.

Whoever is in charge of where they want Watts to go with his career should have a look at how Port played Westhoff on Sunday. Tall, floating utility that is incredibly hard to match up on. He was intercepting marks in the backline and sneaking forward to kick 1 goal 4 behinds (would've been close to BOG if he'd kicked straight). Watts would be perfect in that role.

I want to see an opposition player really get in his face and push him about.

I want to know whether he would push back or just take it.

I want to see an opposition player really get in his face and push him about.

I want to know whether he would push back or just take it.
I want to know if anyone on our list has the balls to do anything other than what they put up last game.

Hogan, Dawes Clark, Pedo, Watts That's too many talls. Watts needs to show some heart, that's the main issue here, I said from the get go, once a coach thinks his worth a tag, he'll get one, and then we'll see how good he is. Yesterday, he needed to demand the ball from defence, he didn't do that, I was sitting in the pocket the whole game, he had no voice.

Not sure about that mate. I was at the Punt Rd end and constantly saw/heard Watts yelling at Dunn to let him take the kick ins. Dunn just kept taking them himself and Watts was getting quite pissed off. He def gives a *, and was letting it be known.

Knee-jerk.

He suits the floating HB role perfectly (height, agility, good kick, reads play), hence why he was picked out by Port as the player to shut down on Sunday.

Just needs to work out how to break a tag. He'll get there. Would help if there was another player in our back half who could kick.

If Davey could get his s**t together he would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back