All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

I understand the disillusion with politicians and some people's struggle to identify a genuine and compelling alternative. No surprise at all there.

Our parliamentary leaders don't sound genuine and refuse to speak in plain terms. Nobody spikes a person's BS radar more than a politician does.

It's unfortunate, especially given that on a global scale Aussies aren't anywhere near the bottom of the pile.
I think we are lucky to have compulsory voting even though it is a pain having the three levels of governing.

Still think it is a shame to waste a vote as a number of seats are quite marginal. One seat in Vic was a margin of 17 votes.

I think we are lucky to have compulsory voting even though it is a pain having the three levels of governing.

Still think it is a shame to waste a vote as a number of seats are quite marginal. One seat in Vic was a margin of 17 votes.

I agree it's important to vote, and we always have the option of submitting a blank form if we can't relate to any of the alternatives. In one respect, that's just as much of a statement as a vote for a party is.

I'm unable to ignore mods such as Maggie5 who are mods on club boards but I wish to ignore their nonsense on other boards. Sort it out Chief.
Exercise your will power, (or as I like to call it, won't power).
I had a choice to respond to this post or ignore it.
I thought I won't ignore it, I will respond.
You can go the other way, I will ignore it and won't respond.

@Maggie5 is active on the politics board. I ignored her for a reason. Now I can't. If someone is made mod on the Collingwood board it should not mean I can't continue to ignore them on other boards.
Life is full of little challenges.
Hopefully this one works out for you.
A PM to Chief is probably more apt. than coming to our board to, (essentially) bag our Mod.

It’s dissapointing to read of people not voting or simply discarding their vote.
The amount of people who have died over the world fighting for the right to vote is enormous.
The amount of people in the world today who don’t have the right to vote is enormous.
Be grateful that you have the opportunity to have a free and uncorrupted process to guide our countries future.
You may not like the result on the day, but don’t throw away your right to have a say.
We are indeed lucky to have that say.

Bad Horse would love my voting technique.

I would never vote for a donkey. Thats only one step above voting for a pony.

I would never draw a large penis on my ballot, I figure there are enough large penises already printed on the ballot.

What I might do with a belly button lint sculpture though...

Pundits saying Labor win is all but a sure thing despite promising $300 billion in new taxes. Shows how badly the Liberal's stuffed up their time in office.
I don't think it will be as sure as some think. Libs have improved in the past few weeks.

Lucky I have developed the ability to tune out when ads come on from all sides.:D

I have been hounded for a couple of months by robocalls, letter drops and texts from Clive Palmer.
Not sure why he is wasting money targeting this seat as I live in a very safe Labor seat over 15% margin. I envy those that vote in a seat with a small margin, think that their votes count more than mine.

I don't think it will be as sure as some think. Libs have improved in the past few weeks.

Lucky I have developed the ability to tune out when ads come on from all sides.:D

I have been hounded for a couple of months by robocalls, letter drops and texts from Clive Palmer.
Not sure why he is wasting money targeting this seat as I live in a very safe Labor seat over 15% margin. I envy those that vote in a seat with a small margin, think that their votes count more than mine.

I have never understood Clive Palmer, he has been doing ads and billboards for years everywhere, it must cost him a fortune but he does it even when there is no election campaign going on, I can only imagine how he is going to ramp it up more now but I don't know how he thinks Palmer United is ever going to take off as a political force but he sure is having a good crack at trying.

My seat has been Liberal since 1996 but only by 5.6% in 2016, I think it will change hands at this election so my vote could be important. The member has done well for the area but I haven't much liked the infighting of the leaders so I'm still undecided, I will make up my mind during the campaign but I'm leaning on going Labor.

No such thing as a sure political win.
Ask John Hewson.

Interesting article in HS by Andrew Bolt saying it's a pretty balls out move to get rid of franking credits whatever they are and some other things that would put self funded retirees on the pension by Labor and saying ScoMo has to attack and attack hard on these principles if he has any chance. There will have to be an almighty scare campaign.

Hewson wanted to bring in GST and everybody say well no * that. There no such huge change this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our voting system can be improved.
And i am glad we have rules where we all get the chance to do so.
Unlike other countries where people can not be bothered.Yes USA.
But i have this peeve i can vote for someone that wins the vote but loses!
So one vote one to the person you choose.
I read somewhere and not sure if it is true but Fraser Anning got 18 votes and ends up-being a senator?That to me would be like winning 2 games and ending up top 4 at the end of an Afl Season.

Interesting article in HS by Andrew Bolt saying it's a pretty balls out move to get rid of franking credits whatever they are and some other things that would put self funded retirees on the pension by Labor and saying ScoMo has to attack and attack hard on these principles if he has any chance. There will have to be an almighty scare campaign.

Hewson wanted to bring in GST and everybody say well no **** that. There no such huge change this time.
Certain a ballsy move by Labour. But guess what? That’s actual policy!
Something that is very, very fluid in our current Government.
They look to the press to make policy on the run and I think we are all sick of that.
ScoMo will attack hard on the franking credits and the end of negative gearing.
Labour have to fight just as hard about the franking credits being a double dip tax exception that no longer applies in the modern world, and that negative gearing will not end for those with existing investment properties.
One will be a scare campaign, one will be an attempt to put forward the positives of the changes.
Going to be interesting to watch.
Funny thing about Hewson and his GST is that Keating as treasurer tried to get Hawke to introduce a GST years earlier.

They look to the press to make policy on the run and I think we are all sick of that.
Labour have to fight just as hard about the franking credits being a double dip tax exception that no longer applies in the modern world, and that negative gearing will not end for those with existing investment properties.
One will be a scare campaign, one will be an attempt to put forward the positives of the changes.
Funny thing about Hewson and his GST is that Keating as treasurer tried to get Hawke to introduce a GST years earlier.

Howard sold the GST well, it had to be done in conjunction with the abolishment of other taxes. They were always going to happen sure it happened somehow, just matter of when.

Labor

John Hewson at least had the courage of his conviction in stating that he wanted and the country needed a GST tax and he has been proven correct unlike Howard who said he would not bring in a broad based sales tax and we know that is exactly what he did.

For a dyed in the wool labour voter such as my myself (also old school) I find it funny that Howard is often called honest John when in fact he often was not {children overboard another instance).

Looking back I am pleased Keating won that election but listening to John Hewson,s comments sometimes I think he would have been a decent prime minister far preferable to that bastard Howard who I detest.

I think we are about to see the real Scott Morrison emerged during this campaign and it will not be pretty,he looks like frothing at the mouth sometimes and any government with Dutton in it deserves to get the arse at any time anyway.

One Nations poll numbers collapsing.
Who would've thought it?
Entirely deserving of that also,some of their comments are disgraceful on a par with Dutton,s comments about his opponent.I think it has actually dawned on Peter Dutton that his comments this time will probably cost him his seat but I think he was in trouble before attacking Ali France with his
comments.

John Hewson at least had the courage of his conviction in stating that he wanted and the country needed a GST tax and he has been proven correct unlike Howard who said he would not bring in a broad based sales tax and we know that is exactly what he did.

Guess it all came back to the birthday cake in the end for Hewson though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back