All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

So, our China markets are evaporating. Time for Australia to look for greener pastures for our produce and minerals.
Also time for the loophole that China uses to avoid paying tax on exports from here to there to be closed.
I know we are a small wheel in a larger machine, but I’ll be emailing my suppliers tomorrow to ask what they are doing to source products from other countries. And I will also be asking our buying groups what they intend to do going forward with thier supply chains.
Simply, it’s time we moved on from our dependence on this one nation.

The Liberal government pissed off GM and Ford so no we have no heavy manufacturing base.
We are now in the position of having to import almost every value added product so our primary product export position is vital to the economy.
Not good.

The Liberal government pissed off GM and Ford so no we have no heavy manufacturing base.
We are now in the position of having to import almost every value added product so our primary product export position is vital to the economy.
Not good.
I’ve been telling anyone wants to listen over the past few years that we have become a country of B&B’s and coffee shops.
Thats got us far hasn’t it?
My cousin works for a firm that produces medical PPE. She has for the last 30 years.
The business was close to closing this year. Some of the machinery had been mothballed and they were down to very few employees. Suddenly they had Army personal helping recommission machinery and even operating it.
Pretty sure this business‘s future Is now assured. Even if it costs more than the imported versions.

I’ve been telling anyone wants to listen over the past few years that we have become a country of B&B’s and coffee shops.
Thats got us far hasn’t it?
My cousin works for a firm that produces medical PPE. She has for the last 30 years.
The business was close to closing this year. Some of the machinery had been mothballed and they were down to very few employees. Suddenly they had Army personal helping recommission machinery and even operating it.
Pretty sure this business‘s future Is now assured. Even if it costs more than the imported versions.

I'd look at that outcome as a silver lining.

I've never voted Greens but found Adam Bandt's vision for setting the nation up post pandemic compelling. We have an opportunity to invest in real nation-building initiatives that will create a strong economy for the next 40-50 years. The parties have accepted that it is no longer about a "budget surplus" and that they need to spend to facilitate growth. Hopefully we spend wisely.

I'd look at that outcome as a silver lining.

I've never voted Greens but found Adam Bandt's vision for setting the nation up post pandemic compelling. We have an opportunity to invest in real nation-building initiatives that will create a strong economy for the next 40-50 years. The parties have accepted that it is no longer about a "budget surplus" and that they need to spend to facilitate growth. Hopefully we spend wisely.
Certainly a silver lining for the owner of that business.
My point was that those type of businesses are few and far between. Because we had decided that tourism, not manufacturing or skills, were our future.
People/Governments boasting about apprenticeship numbers, when those “apprentices” were Baristas, was a false economy. As skilled apprenticeships fell off the cliff years ago. Something which we will pay dearly for in the coming years.

Yep manufacturing is dead in Australia, and just as worryingly we're falling behind on the STEM front.

I see the biggest opportunities in the fields of climate technology, engineering innovation, and niche high tech manufacturing. This would mean that we back R&D entrepreneurship and build the sort of culture that celebrates failures (as they do in Silicon Valley).

Here's hoping.

Certainly a silver lining for the owner of that business.
My point was that those type of businesses are few and far between. Because we had decided that tourism, not manufacturing or skills, were our future.
People/Governments boasting about apprenticeship numbers, when those “apprentices” were Baristas, was a false economy. As skilled apprenticeships fell off the cliff years ago. Something which we will pay dearly for in the coming years.

Another Reason to Hate Dutton:

Just saw an article on aged care. This 93 year old woman was allocated about $1200 a month by the federal gov't. The gov't pays the catholic church to manage her assistance. The Catholics charged her or the gov't - whichever you like - about $550 to do their part. Dishonest? well it's probably legal. It's not ethical. It's certainly not christian - although catholics in charge have long given up being christian.

It follows on from a story that there was a report that catholic education is using it low socio economic schools to subsidise it's xavier colleges and similar.

And this organisation does not pay taxes. It makes me sick in the stomach. And then we consider the damage done to thousands of school children with sexual predatory practices ...not to mention the daily damage of the philosophy that it is preaching...

Thank you for your time....i move on

Just saw an article on aged care. This 93 year old woman was allocated about $1200 a month by the federal gov't. The gov't pays the catholic church to manage her assistance. The Catholics charged her or the gov't - whichever you like - about $550 to do their part. Dishonest? well it's probably legal. It's not ethical. It's certainly not christian - although catholics in charge have long given up being christian.

It follows on from a story that there was a report that catholic education is using it low socio economic schools to subsidise it's xavier colleges and similar.

And this organisation does not pay taxes. It makes me sick in the stomach. And then we consider the damage done to thousands of school children with sexual predatory practices ...not to mention the daily damage of the philosophy that it is preaching...

Thank you for your time....i move on
I saw a program on ABC (7.30?) about just the Catholics, Australian Unity (are they Catholic?) also took a big whack from a man that had cancer and was needing a new bed. Apparently the government gives them money front up ranging from $8000-$50,000 and they disperse on behalf of aged or sick persons.

I saw a program on ABC (7.30?) about just the Catholics, Australian Unity (are they Catholic?) also took a big whack from a man that had cancer and was needing a new bed. Apparently the government gives them money front up ranging from $8000-$50,000 and they disperse on behalf of aged or sick persons.

yes that was the article that i saw. I've known for years that the catholics in charge are obsessed with property and making a profit but this is shameful, or shameless. I have nothing but contempt for organisations like scientology but the catholics arent much better. In fact, you could argue that they do more damage because they are a far bigger organisation.

And the level of trust that catholics put in those in charge.... its one thing to be cheated by a business. We all expect banks to cheat us, for example. But these catholics have faith in the organisation.

Can you please clarify similar?

is this the similar that you want clarifying?

Its a long article. I find it hard to read it all without wanting to seek out the local archbishop to ask him if his mates are going to repent for their sins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is this the similar that you want clarifying?

Its a long article. I find it hard to read it all without wanting to seek out the local archbishop to ask him if his mates are going to repent for their sins

No i meant which schools were similar to Xavier College. Any Victorian based articles?

No i meant which schools were similar to Xavier College. Any Victorian based articles?

the catholic elite schools got the money that was meant for the poorer schools.... i think that is the main point. I think the report related to nsw schools. Do you think the victorian catholic head office would have done better?

whats your point?

here's an Age article which is talking about another matter. Govt funding of non-government schools. It seems that kids at state schools get less spent on their education than kids at catholic and independent schools.

when i was a lot younger, there was a public debate about whether gov'ts should actually give money to non govt schools. Ironic eh. Now the govt is spending more on supporting catholic education than the system that it is running. It makes me wonder why. Is it because the pollies have attended these schools or are they getting some money under the table?

The Federal Government's Aged Care scandal is yet another example of the failings of neoliberalism. The massive funding of private schools has been a disgrace for years. The privatisation of pretty much all essential services has ripped open enormous cracks in our society. Low paid work, dodgy self regulation, failure to punish businesses that rip off superannuation. This government, plus its masters like the IPA and The Business Council are abetted by the Murdoch press. It's pretty easy to do when there is precious little scrutiny by the boys' club media and a now self muzzling ABC. No doubt the next axe to fall will be the complete erosion of worker rights through the emasculation of unions.

This is what happens when you privatise everything and give power to the callous free market profiteers who put their privilege above community values. You don't have to look far to see how true this is. We've seen constant rorting and covering up by this coalition in recent years. Angus Taylor is probably the latest example, but there are many more. Last week we saw the government explaining that workers could not expect a rise in Super to 12% whilst that same government is happy to give themselves over 15%. One of Collingwood's Board members, Christine Holgate, the CEO of Ausralia Post, was shamelessly asking for already overworked employees, to volunteer to do extra shifts to clear the parcel backlog. It's not as if there isn't an enormous workforce, currently unemployed, who she could call upon. At the same time, this CEO, attempted to justify the payment of executive bonuses when the economy is in freefall; it smacks of greed and entitlement.

The Federal Government's Aged Care scandal is yet another example of the failings of neoliberalism. The massive funding of private schools has been a disgrace for years. The privatisation of pretty much all essential services has ripped open enormous cracks in our society. Low paid work, dodgy self regulation, failure to punish businesses that rip off superannuation. This government, plus its masters like the IPA and The Business Council are abetted by the Murdoch press. It's pretty easy to do when there is precious little scrutiny by the boys' club media and a now self muzzling ABC. No doubt the next axe to fall will be the complete erosion of worker rights through the emasculation of unions.

This is what happens when you privatise everything and give power to the callous free market profiteers who put their privilege above community values. You don't have to look far to see how true this is. We've seen constant rorting and covering up by this coalition in recent years. Angus Taylor is probably the latest example, but there are many more. Last week we saw the government explaining that workers could not expect a rise in Super to 12% whilst that same government is happy to give themselves over 15%. One of Collingwood's Board members, Christine Holgate, the CEO of Ausralia Post, was shamelessly asking for already overworked employees, to volunteer to do extra shifts to clear the parcel backlog. It's not as if there isn't an enormous workforce, currently unemployed, who she could call upon. At the same time, this CEO, attempted to justify the payment of executive bonuses when the economy is in freefall; it smacks of greed and entitlement.

yeh but havent you seen the NAB commercials? What is money for? Here are some educational videos that we can use to re-educate the people

the catholic elite schools got the money that was meant for the poorer schools.... i think that is the main point. I think the report related to nsw schools. Do you think the victorian catholic head office would have done better?

whats your point?
Not sure how you link Xavier to an article on NSW Catholic primary schools. There might be a similarity between NSW and Vic diocesan primary schools, but to link a Jesuit school to the article doesn't really hold water.

Not sure how you link Xavier to an article on NSW Catholic primary schools. There might be a similarity between NSW and Vic diocesan primary schools, but to link a Jesuit school to the article doesn't really hold water.

i'm not a news service. And of course I was talking about Xavier College in LLandilo in Sydney. And to all the Catholics out there, I'd like to state my empathy for you being part of a such an organisation. I can only suggest that you go it alone and have a direct relationship with god - if that is your belief. Better still, try to do good things while you're here and dont get hung up with the negativity of the catholic interpretation of christianity. It will also be safer for your kids, and you wont see your money siphoned off to other parts of the church to further its profiteering. I also recommend that you stay clear of any catholic church aged care for reasons illustrated in this thread. And finally, I would stay clear of any catholic charities because they have a long history of using them as a recruitment exercise, and I believe that it is despicable to recruit people to a church when they are their weakest.

Whilst its a long way back in history, Aust Unity definitely does not have Catholic connections. Founded by Oddfellows, not quite as "Kick a Mick" as the Freemasons, but probably not far behind!

Whilst its a long way back in history, Aust Unity definitely does not have Catholic connections. Founded by Oddfellows, not quite as "Kick a Mick" as the Freemasons, but probably not far behind!
Thanks, didn't know anything about them.

Personally, I think it is about time, politicians (both major parties) take back responsibility for health instead of outsourcing with little oversight.

Thanks, didn't know anything about them.

Personally, I think it is about time, politicians (both major parties) take back responsibility for health instead of outsourcing with little oversight.

The problem is that the govt outsource it because the contractor pays their staff less, less staffing etc etc etc. ...so it's smart to have little oversight so that the gov't can claim ignorance

Rupert must really hate Jacinda. The win in NZ was greeted with headlines on the news.com site with Jacinda forgetting the Green Party.... because she has won outright...ummm ok... not the most important point in the win but probably only thing an anti-jacinda editor can come up with to please his boss in new york.

good on the nzers for backing her. i read a heap of negative stuff on murdoch sites about how she hasn't addressed unemployment inequality etc .... ironic because a lot of it was generated by right wing pollies in nz in the past who were backed by murdoch..

i can hope that alan jones has swallowed a pip last night and choked on it, reading about her win but only the good die young.

Also good to see someone invested in the future getting a go in a top job. The americans could learn something here, instead of voting for guys getting fitted for coffins.

Stunning win by Palaszczuk overnight.
A third straight election win is a huge achievement by any leader, let alone one who when she was elected leader of the Labor Party they had 7, yes just 7, seats in the Qld Parliament.
And how stupid are the LNP up there? Their most hated enemy is the Greens. So what do they do? Preference the Greens ahead of Labor! Result? More Greens in Parliament, and if Palaszczuk has to form a coalition its the hated Greens who will then move the state further left!
Pauline Hanson’s vote virtually halved. Clive Palmer sends a squillion for 0.7% of the vote.
I think there is hope for Australia after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back