All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Stunning win by Palaszczuk overnight.
A third straight election win is a huge achievement by any leader, let alone one who when she was elected leader of the Labor Party they had 7, yes just 7, seats in the Qld Parliament.
And how stupid are the LNP up there? Their most hated enemy is the Greens. So what do they do? Preference the Greens ahead of Labor! Result? More Greens in Parliament, and if Palaszczuk has to form a coalition its the hated Greens who will then move the state further left!
Pauline Hanson’s vote virtually halved. Clive Palmer sends a squillion for 0.7% of the vote.
I think there is hope for Australia after all.

Not so fast. Further left Labor provides more opportunities for the LNP. Clive is only in it to disrupt Labor. Virus supercharging all leaders around the world. Wait until the dust settles.

I still dont see climate change winning the argument over jobs. Most people still want to be richer than they need to be... and consume far more than they need.

I dont see any change really....more of the same

The Liberal government pissed off GM and Ford so no we have no heavy manufacturing base.
We are now in the position of having to import almost every value added product so our primary product export position is vital to the economy.
Not good.
The Libs didn't help things, that's for sure, but GM took my taxes and your taxes and then pissed off anyway. Total arseholes. Crucially, GM were making cars that Australians didn't want. Ford is not much better. To be perfectly honest, our population doesn't make building cars profitable. Even Toyota can no longer afford to build here.

Not so fast. Further left Labor provides more opportunities for the LNP. Clive is only in it to disrupt Labor. Virus supercharging all leaders around the world. Wait until the dust settles.

I still dont see climate change winning the argument over jobs. Most people still want to be richer than they need to be... and consume far more than they need.

I dont see any change really....more of the same
Hmmm..... climate change doing pretty good for the old man candidate in the USofA.

The Libs didn't help things, that's for sure, but GM took my taxes and your taxes and then pissed off anyway. Total arseholes. Crucially, GM were making cars that Australians didn't want. Ford is not much better. To be perfectly honest, our population doesn't make building cars profitable. Even Toyota can no longer afford to build here.
The American car companies certainly took some taxpayer dollars, about $250 per vehicle.
Meanwhile VW in Germany takes $400 per vehicle in Germany. Who knows what they take in other places the manufacture.
We paid a small price for a manufacturing base. That is now gone.
It may have gone anyway because all manufacturers, GM, Ford and Toyota simply stopPed making aspirational vehicles. Though Toyota only closed up because supply chains became uneconomical for one manucturer.
But Abbott played chicken and lost.

no comprendo. Giuseppe es un hombre qui habla mucho pero no ha hecho nada.

I did that without any translation device
Hmm.... are you an immigrant?
Because unless you have documentation you will be forced to stay on the other side of the wall.
Whats that? There is no wall? And what little there is has been paid for by the American taxpayer?
Tell me it isn’t so!

Hmm.... are you an immigrant?
Because unless you have documentation you will be forced to stay on the other side of the wall.
Whats that? There is no wall? And what little there is has been paid for by the American taxpayer?
Tell me it isn’t so!

and i thought you were a woke.... we are all immigrants in australia....cept the originals

It's interesting how gov'ts tend to use fiscal policy to get their economies going. They seem to either
1. Give tax breaks for the rich which supposedly will result in a trickle down effect so that those of us at the end of the food chain will get jobs and be able to pay the bills. It stated with Ronald Reagan 40 years ago and it doesn't work. The rich keep the moulah.

2. Negotiate big construction projects with big companies that will supposedly provide big employment. It's happening in Australia with infrastructure deals. The gov't negotiates a price of $5billion, for example, and it ends up costing $8billion. Why? Labour costs stagnant. Who knows. Most likely, these firms smell the desperation and give a low price, knowing that they will sucker the gov't and lock em in.

And in this environment, we hear that private enterprise is the engine of growth. The problem seems to be that its the small end of the private enterprise spectrum that provides the jobs and the multinationals and billionaires just hoard the cash.

While there are lots of “woe is me I have to wear a mask” posts, serious things are happening without comment.
Good to see this gag bill didn’t attract support.
And every sexual abuse victim, or their family, should have the right to tell their story. If there isn’t evidence to support the story then it’s up to the media to take the risk and publish.
They get to make that decision, not the Government.

How proud to be Australian are we?
Unless you’ve got money, or come from White European stock, you have an uphill battle to become Australian.
These people are the type that add to our country, unlike those who come here with massive financial backing just to go on to try and subvert our political process.

Here's my two bob...

China is ramping up its one way trade war. I think its time for Australians to have a good look at how we live. The amount of products are still down in WA. I'm not sure about the rest of Australia. Kmart shelves and others are half empty and no one has died from it.

I think we could cut down the amount of crap we import from China by a huge amount. I think we need to have a good look at plastics and a good look at products that have a limited life. We need to find ways to stop them coming in, without sparking the ire of the world trade bodies. I've heard that scandanavian countries have requirements for imports regarding quality. I think we need to ramp this up.

I think we need to put a levy of sorts on importers to take their mess back when its broken and export it back to China.

It will never happen of course. The addicts are addicted to endless gadgets.

Here's my two bob...

China is ramping up its one way trade war. I think its time for Australians to have a good look at how we live. The amount of products are still down in WA. I'm not sure about the rest of Australia. Kmart shelves and others are half empty and no one has died from it.

I think we could cut down the amount of crap we import from China by a huge amount. I think we need to have a good look at plastics and a good look at products that have a limited life. We need to find ways to stop them coming in, without sparking the ire of the world trade bodies. I've heard that scandanavian countries have requirements for imports regarding quality. I think we need to ramp this up.

I think we need to put a levy of sorts on importers to take their mess back when its broken and export it back to China.

It will never happen of course. The addicts are addicted to endless gadgets.
The biggest retailer in Australia doesn’t want to quit its China reliance.
And yes, I know he speaks about other low wage countries as well, but China is a huge part of his companies profit.

Oh and this....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest retailer in Australia doesn’t want to quit its China reliance.
And yes, I know he speaks about other low wage countries as well, but China is a huge part of his companies profit.

Oh and this....

I was alive before we entered into this "international" economy. I remember when a pair of levi jeans was $30 and that might be a quarter of what an average person made. It was because of the tariffs on foreign made goods..... which protected the industries in richmond etc which made the textile goods...

And the experts said, no go international and it will benefit the australian consumer. And we did... and hundreds of thousands of people lost their jobs..

And jokers like this wesfarmers bloke made a squillion.... because they got electric drills dropped at the local port for $6 and sold them for $20. This is an actual example told to me by a bunnings employee.

Globalisation has made the rich richer and done a lot o people out of jobs. If we had the backbone, we would turn our backs on it and end up with lower salaries and more expensive goods made well by australians and we'd be a lot happier.

This is the fundamental underlying trump narrative and it's true.... which is why $70 million people voted for him and why the trendy rich kids at the democrats are scratching their heads.

It's interesting how gov'ts tend to use fiscal policy to get their economies going. They seem to either
1. Give tax breaks for the rich which supposedly will result in a trickle down effect so that those of us at the end of the food chain will get jobs and be able to pay the bills. It stated with Ronald Reagan 40 years ago and it doesn't work. The rich keep the moulah.

2. Negotiate big construction projects with big companies that will supposedly provide big employment. It's happening in Australia with infrastructure deals. The gov't negotiates a price of $5billion, for example, and it ends up costing $8billion. Why? Labour costs stagnant. Who knows. Most likely, these firms smell the desperation and give a low price, knowing that they will sucker the gov't and lock em in.

And in this environment, we hear that private enterprise is the engine of growth. The problem seems to be that its the small end of the private enterprise spectrum that provides the jobs and the multinationals and billionaires just hoard the cash.
Has been this way for half a century or more, small business is the engine that drives the economy and growth - the true private enterprise - and corporates take the money for nothing and the kicks for free.

There are some seriously fcked up individuals in yankland.
At a Trump rally a speaker urged the crowd to 'hug it up' to generate a superspreader covid event.
No wonder the country is heading into the sewer.
Many so-called intelligent and educated people believe that individual freedom gives them the right to impose pain and suffering on innocents.
Thank chrst I live in Oz.

Lock it in Labor.

Buckley for Treasurer?

Get Paul Kelly in too and Peter Garrett.....ooops already done that trick

I wonder if he get ALP membership numbers up?

Being left leaning voter, it's been really hard and changed my outlook due to the dialogue of many from the left particularly on the main board. A poster from our side was posting the updates every day of the covid stats - he's clearly trolling and taking delight in the high death rates of Western Nations. It was really despicable and not called out - even admired by many who see the need to go into bat for this poster as they wave the same flag.

There was then - in the China Communist Party thread - many cheering on China to screw Australia's economy by imperialist means. One poster using the word 'poor white trash', in reference to how they would like to perceive us.

Many, many other examples I could go on.

As a left leaning voter who doesn't come from material privilege, treats others with respect or tries to, this is a big letdown and, my story is very relevant.

Personally I will never vote for a Trump, or even the LNP, however, if this sort of behavoiur is not called out I'm sure there are millions of others on these blogs who are being influenced and pushed to the right by the snarky, swarmy, degenerates who purport to be progressives.

We need much better dialogue and discourse then the trolling that takes place on the left side of politics.

End rant.

Being left leaning voter, it's been really hard and changed my outlook due to the dialogue of many from the left particularly on the main board. A poster from our side was posting the updates every day of the covid stats - he's clearly trolling and taking delight in the high death rates of Western Nations. It was really despicable and not called out - even admired by many who see the need to go into bat for this poster as they wave the same flag.

There was then - in the China Communist Party thread - many cheering on China to screw Australia's economy by imperialist means. One poster using the word 'poor white trash', in reference to how they would like to perceive us.

Many, many other examples I could go on.

As a left leaning voter who doesn't come from material privilege, treats others with respect or tries to, this is a big letdown and, my story is very relevant.

Personally I will never vote for a Trump, or even the LNP, however, if this sort of behavoiur is not called out I'm sure there are millions of others on these blogs who are being influenced and pushed to the right by the snarky, swarmy, degenerates who purport to be progressives.

We need much better dialogue and discourse then the trolling that takes place on the left side of politics.

End rant.

I have opinions on issues because of my values. I vote for people because of what they do. I dont change my values because someone who says that they are on the left are repugnant.

You seem to be more concerned with matters of race than the left/right agenda

I have opinions on issues because of my values. I vote for people because of what they do. I dont change my values because someone who says that they are on the left are repugnant.

Elaborate on the repugnant slur is that directed at me? If so mods please delete and infract.

Markfs

If you said that to my face, I'd smash your teeth in, so don't hide behind your keyboard you gutless coward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back