All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I would advise having a look at what Hamas stands for and how they operate in order to gain a wider understanding of the situation.

You seem to be taking a similar approach that the israeli gov't took with hadid, and I can tell you that I am not a supporter of Hamas in any way. Unlike yourself, I havent met anyone who is from the middle east. As far as their violence is concerned, I'd probably advise them to give up, because the end result will always be israel annexing the west bank and jerusalem, incorporating some designated palestinian compounds. The Trump plan involved that, and I dont see how they can get anything different by firing rockets.

Regarding the behaviour of the people in gaza, I think Australians have seen the desperate stuff that people in detention do. A lot of it involves self harm and similar violence. As for not building infrastructure, it would make life easier to build long term infrastructure but if I was there I would question the point of doing it if the israelis were going to destroy it every 6 or 7 years.

The main issue for me is the Australian policy towards israel. Policy changed abruptly to support Israel with the Abbott gov't and has continued that way, especially relating to resolutions before the UN. In some votes, the only countries supporting Israel have been the USA and ourselves. You may categorise a number of countries as being anti-israel, but something is wrong when the USA and Australia are the only countries opposing a vote to a Jordanian plan to take a path towards a two state solution, as what happened around 2015.

For the sake of those who migrated from that part of the world and arrived in Australia, I just want the Prime Minister to refrain from policy decisions that support the Israelis, other than to reinstate the longterm support for Israel itself.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our religious, caring, sharing PM may not be the man he wants us to believe he is.

Why is this case still unresolved?
the children are Australians.
The community they settled in wants them back as they proved to be valuable members of that community.
What is the issue here? These are people that we should be encouraging to become citizens.
But our caring, sharing, god fearing PM, doesn’t believe in compassion it appears.

Being a Q-Anon disciple I shouldn’t be suprised.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Our religious, caring, sharing PM may not be the man he wants us to believe he is.

Why is this case still unresolved?
the children are Australians.
The community they settled in wants them back as they proved to be valuable members of that community.
What is the issue here? These are people that we should be encouraging to become citizens.
But our caring, sharing, god fearing PM, doesn’t believe in compassion it appears.

Being a Q-Anon disciple I shouldn’t be suprised.

A man cannot have two masters.... you have to ask yourself what would jesus do?

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
scomo and qanon.... why not? we have 27 million in this country. you would think we could get just one sensible sort of person to do the job.. we've only got ourselves to blame.

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
These f/wits still don’t get it.
We no longer swallow the “boats will come” narrative.
We just ask “where is the compassion of a government lead by a supposed religious man”.
We ask “why has a community adopted and supported a family, who can show that families contribution to that community, been dismissed in this discussion?”
We ask “how much taxpayers money has been spent keeping this family in detention when they pose no threat to the country and have only contributed to the rural community?”
We ask “why are two citizens born in Australia be forced to go to a country they do not know?”

The answers are fairly simply and can be summed up in one or two words.
Racism, white Australia policy.
(yes, more than two words…)

I was encouraged when I read of coalition members supporting the relocation of this family back to the community that wants them. I was further encouraged when there was to be an announcement today.
I was disappointed.
This family won’t get the certainty they deserve, the certainty to raise their Australian children, until we have a change of government.
Just remember them on the next Election Day and do the right thing.

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
And,……… about time.
Time for the people who can’t afford to travel the independent/religious path to get a chance at real facilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
I loathed Rex Hunt. I never knew where the ball was. I didn't know who had the ball much of the time - player or team. 3LO for me too.
Another one for 3LO.
You could work in the shed and know exactly what was happening on the field.
Unfortunately those days are long gone and the ABC broadcast now parrots the commercial stations style.

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last edited:
You’ve got to love pollies.
More flip flops than an Olympic gymnast.
He is an idiot, why isn't he singling out his friend in NSW after she imposed light lockdown, mild lockdown and now not sure what type of lockdown she has in place.

Her message about if you can work from home do so and that was it. Retail were all open and I imagine that there would be few retail staff that could work from home.

I have a thing with political gangs - the basement is honoring their constituents by not abandoning their pledged party platform for political gains.
The only gang worse than the greens was the old Country party who actually sold out their constituents for the entire length of the gang's existence
Answering here as we may be derailing thread.

Choices are limited and if I go to the trouble of voting, do so especially in the Senate.

To each their own I guess. I am just hoping that Brandt will do a better job.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Answering here as we may be derailing thread.

Choices are limited and if I go to the trouble of voting, do so especially in the Senate.

To each their own I guess. I am just hoping that Brandt will do a better job.
Agreed with derailing the thread - good luck with you choices Maggie - half a century of voting has convinced me it's futile, I will be voting informally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back