All things Politics

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh the irony...
"Shorten was much better that previously but still way too light on real deatil and way to thick on emotion and raising and lowering his voice. For someone who's mother is a teacher his use of "wevva' and the like instead of 'weather' is just annoying and low class... Morrison had the detail and broader effects down pat but I wonder how many people really care for detail. Morrison also missed a lot of chances to dispute Shortens claims on franking credits being a 'gift' paid for by other taxpayers.. not a bad debate, Bill Shorten shouldn't be too happy, the 2% margin was far too small for an opposition leader."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-03/federal-election-2019-morrison-shorten-debate-two/11079014

I didn't even watch it but wouldn't he be using the word 'whether' more often than 'weather' in a debate?

I have never before struggled so much to find a party I can vote for; such an underwhelming list of options.

I feel for the environment as the most important issue this time around, so will likely go with that as a focus for my decision.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just watching Paul Keating in action the other night makes you realize how insipid the leaders are on both sides of the debate,mind you I actually think he is right Asio,s heads do need to tone it down as regards China.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Four days to democracy sausage..

58280563-F4BD-448D-BE92-A8FE770677DF.jpeg

.....dog.

Clive Palmer spends $50 million on advertising then goes on holiday to Fiji during the week before the election...

View attachment 673857
Wish his ads had gone with him. Footy Cassified was unawatchable with his ads. At least 10 of them. At every ad break.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Am still struggling with the 6 above the line.
Was set on giving the Health Australia party one of my 6.
Health, hospitals, Medicare etc, got to be good surely.
But then you drill down... and suddenly...
“We aren’t anti vaxxers, but we don’t believe the Government can tell you to vaccinate. “.
Hello! Mate, that makes you anti vax.
And therefore you don’t get my vote.
Still struggling to find six.

Am still struggling with the 6 above the line.
Was set on giving the Health Australia party one of my 6.
Health, hospitals, Medicare etc, got to be good surely.
But then you drill down... and suddenly...
“We aren’t anti vaxxers, but we don’t believe the Government can tell you to vaccinate. “.
Hello! Mate, that makes you anti vax.
And therefore you don’t get my vote.
Still struggling to find six.
I voted below the line, got up to 20 then gave up but they still count. Six above the line was too hard.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bigger issues at play SV.

Collingwood will prevail. Good government will not.
Oh politics.

Yes I know all the goodness and all the bad only resides in one side of politics or the other.

Good and bad on both sides.

The rest, I leave for the barrackers to barrack for their team.

It all works out, we’re a great great country and overall things will be fine and we will all be blessed living in this country.

Back