All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Well if examining existing legislation, processes and generally shaking up the status quo is what you want to do as Black_White says thats what needs to be done then the Senate is the place to do it.

As long as you have the patience and indulgence of a saintly grandmother that is, some of the absolute rubbish they carry on with in there is...well actually its not too dissimilar to bigfooty, so we'd all totally hit the ground running on towards national domination

Its actually ridiculously easy to set up your own political party and get your candidates and party on the voting ticket in whatever and however many electorates you care to have someone stand. All you need is 500 members on the electoral role and pay your $500 and shazam, youre on the ballot. I reckon we'd easily be able to scrounge up 500 party faithful just out of this forum. And given the convoluted preference voting scheme we'd likely get a couple MPs elected too 😂

So what’s our platform?
Send Carlton to Christmas Island?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/about/b...-abc-office-john-lyons-live-tweeting/11192898
Back to the serious stuff.
This warrant was so broad that there seemed nothing that the AFP could not seize or take.

In fact, the warrant even gave the AFP the power to delete ABC documents if they so chose.

Or to add to them.

Or to alter them.

Add to them? Alter them?
In the old days that was called verballing.
What type do society do we have when we allow the police to delete, alter or add to documents that may be used in a court case?

Religion in Politics
Christian activist: Sin is to blame for extreme weather, not climate change

During an appearance in The Jim Bakker Show this Tuesday, Christian activist and author Mary Colbert said that the subject of climate change is being used by Satan to distract people from the fact that the End Times are fast approaching.

“The devil knows what is in the word of God,” she said.

“I truly believe that because he knows what the word says—that toward the End Times, earthquakes, tornadoes, storms, all these things are going to happen as the birth pangs of the return of Jesus Christ—now the enemy is trying to change that narrative for the mindset of the people that this has to do with climate change, so that they can believe it’s something outside of their control that is happening,” she continued.

According to Colbert, people need to repent of their sins in order to “delay” the coming tribulations.

“Repentance would delay things, but because of this hard-heartedness and evil that is increasing, the birth pangs of the earth are getting worse,” she said. “It has nothing to do with coal, it has nothing to do with climate change, it has to do with the sin nature that’s increasing in the earth.”

Religion in Politics
Christian activist: Sin is to blame for extreme weather, not climate change

During an appearance in The Jim Bakker Show this Tuesday, Christian activist and author Mary Colbert said that the subject of climate change is being used by Satan to distract people from the fact that the End Times are fast approaching.

“The devil knows what is in the word of God,” she said.

“I truly believe that because he knows what the word says—that toward the End Times, earthquakes, tornadoes, storms, all these things are going to happen as the birth pangs of the return of Jesus Christ—now the enemy is trying to change that narrative for the mindset of the people that this has to do with climate change, so that they can believe it’s something outside of their control that is happening,” she continued.

According to Colbert, people need to repent of their sins in order to “delay” the coming tribulations.

“Repentance would delay things, but because of this hard-heartedness and evil that is increasing, the birth pangs of the earth are getting worse,” she said. “It has nothing to do with coal, it has nothing to do with climate change, it has to do with the sin nature that’s increasing in the earth.”
Apparently god is super powerful.
Like super powerful man.
So why doesn't he just destroy the devil.
I mean like he just clicked his fingers and created everything, but for some reason he can't handle the devil.
I reckon we should all become satinists. God seems too scared to * with him so in my eyes he is the stronger guy.
While I am at it. Why would Satan punish me to eternal burning and schitt if I sin. Isn't that exactly what he wants me to do.
Dude when I go to hell I think Satan will welcome me with a nice cold beer and who knows, maybe even seven virgins.

Apparently god is super powerful.
Like super powerful man.
So why doesn't he just destroy the devil.
I mean like he just clicked his fingers and created everything, but for some reason he can't handle the devil.
I reckon we should all become satinists. God seems too scared to * with him so in my eyes he is the stronger guy.
While I am at it. Why would Satan punish me to eternal burning and schitt if I sin. Isn't that exactly what he wants me to do.
Dude when I go to hell I think Satan will welcome me with a nice cold beer and who knows, maybe even seven virgins.
1560398296106.png

Ah Australia...Sun, Wind. We’ve got it all.
So why are the Poms killing us?
Far less religious fanatics and climate change deniers in Britain (although they still have many) than we have here in Aus

We actually have parliamentarians who refuse to believe climate change is real.....they should be jailed, just like any other murderer

So....
The AFP raid a journalist’s home, and then the ABC offices, to track down those who leaked documents. Documents that put our Government and it’s actions in a bad light.
But then they do this?
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...lassified-medevac-advice-20190607-p51vir.html
And because they reckon they couldn’t track the leak?
Yet a journo published a story on the back of a whistleblower and they could have done exactly the same as they did a few days ago.
Those who think that this attack on our press freedom isn’t coming from our elected officials is living in la la land.
We are sitting on a tipping point in our history.
What are you going to do about it?

What are you doing about it? What do you suggest?

That is true.

Though being in political party I’m guessing the biggest enemies you face are your fellow members.

Nasty business.
Politics attracts those who are hardwired into Machiavellian intrigue, backstabbing, self-aggrandizement, petty palace coups, and revenge. In other words, tribal power. Reprising their inner 5 year olds.

All under the guise of helping others/saving the World.

At Uni the left wing folk majored in SDA [Students for Democratic Action], megaphone messages, and body painting/puppetry. The right wing in Chamber of Commerce/Elks etc networking, nice suits.

When you get to eventually meet some of these folk, say at table at a business lunch, or a fund raiser, you [or at least I, je, mois] ask yourself - FMD! - would I employ this person?

He who said that 'anyone who wants to be a politician should automatically be disqualified' was on the money.

Term limits, please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone seriously happy with this?

Government wanting to forge a new era of unaccountability.
This writer would be in deep kakka in a couple of years at this rate.

Make America White Again!
How can self respecting Republicans put up with this? America was built on immigration, does he not understand that it became “great” because of the mix of colours, religions and nationalities?
The man is a pig. And there’s enough dumbasses in America to give him another term.

Make America White Again!
How can self respecting Republicans put up with this? America was built on immigration, does he not understand that it became “great” because of the mix of colours, religions and nationalities?
The man is a pig. And there’s enough dumbasses in America to give him another term.
But its actually who they are, they are proudly racist

I saw a number of ordinary people interviewed after Trumps latest racist rants, they were fully supportive of him with many saying that is why they voted for him

Racism in the US is now normalised

But its actually who they are, they are proudly racist

I saw a number of ordinary people interviewed after Trumps latest racist rants, they were fully supportive of him with many saying that is why they voted for him

Racism in the US is now normalised
Exactly right.
And they defend him to the hilt.
This is an excellent piece on the issue.

Exactly right.
And they defend him to the hilt.
This is an excellent piece on the issue.

What “we” voted for is coming home to roost.
This Government is overseeing an economy that has self funded retirees scrambling to make ends meet because interest rates are heading to negative territory.
But now they are trying to prevent the next increase in employer superannuation contributions.
So the majority of Australians voted to defend the tax dodge of franking credits and negative gearing, just to be farked over in their super payouts.
Aren’t we the clever country?

From an historical viewpoint this country was founded in deep distress and built in the early years by the virtual slave labour of many poor souls whose only crime was to steal food for their starving families.

The soul of this country was deeply rooted in the Irish and Scottish tradition of defiance to overlordship and the assumption of authority due to the accident of birth within a family of wealth.

For decades now our culture has been enriched and evolved with peoples from all over the globe, each bringing their history and heritage to weave into our evolving cultural identity. The idea of independence and self sufficiency still ruled with courage and hard work rewarded accordingly until recently.

Now look at our current landscape.

Australians without trade certificate or diploma / degree are almost without exception forced from full time work situations into casual / temporary situations to increase the wealth of NOT their employers for the most part but for a billionth of a percentile increase in profit for corporations / shareholders. In fact the merchant princes have control of the workforce and will not be content until they wring the last dregs of profit out of it.

That is a terrible state of affairs but not the core of my post, three words now in common usage make me shiver with fear for my grandchildren and their children. . . .

THE EDUCATION SECTOR . . .

Every disadvantage of poverty and misfortune can be overcome with education - it is the path of excellence leading to prosperity and health.

It is a basic human right . . .

AND IT IS FOR SALE TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER in this country.

Fully 25% of all public tertiary student places are SOLD to overseas students and politicians of all stripes are proud of it.

To those of you who have had a family member or friend miss out on a place or been forced to go to a second or even third option, this is the reason.

I'm certainly glad to have already traveled my path through the workforce and not being at the mercy of self satisfied pollies and chancellors.

What “we” voted for is coming home to roost.
This Government is overseeing an economy that has self funded retirees scrambling to make ends meet because interest rates are heading to negative territory.
But now they are trying to prevent the next increase in employer superannuation contributions.
So the majority of Australians voted to defend the tax dodge of franking credits and negative gearing, just to be farked over in their super payouts.
Aren’t we the clever country?
True

The Australian people voted for:
* Wealthy retirees to continue to get free money from the rest of us
* Keeping those on Newstart in poverty
* Winding back Superannuation Benefits for ordinary working Australians
* Winding back Press Freedoms
* Handing multi-million dollar contracts to mates without going through a public tender process
* Tax cuts that will have the effect of reducing $ for Education, Health, Infrastructure, Renewables

And those are just some of the highlights

A list that every Australian voter can be proud of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back