All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Not Causing People Grief for Protesting
Why are you frightened of the truth?

I'll bet your biggest concern at 16 was how you were going to shove 2 pies down your throat at recess (like most of us)

This young woman has done more than most of us did at age 16 and you like a lot of others want to see her bought down....shame on all of you
Whan a tiny 16 year old scares the crap out of you its time to take a look at your self

How precious have we become?
everyone knows I’m not a Morrison man, but reality is that the states control the fire response, not the feds.
The criticisms here are unjustified.

How precious have we become?
everyone knows I’m not a Morrison man, but reality is that the states control the fire response, not the feds.
The criticisms here are unjustified.
I think the criticism goes back to the time he attacked Christine Nixon (when she was head of Vic Pol)

The night of Black Saturday he ripped into her for being out at dinner, it was an unmerciful attack on her
Now as the Aus East Coast is ablaze he is off holidaying in Hawaii

You can't have it both ways

I think the criticism goes back to the time he attacked Christine Nixon (when she was head of Vic Pol)

The night of Black Saturday he ripped into her for being out at dinner, it was an unmerciful attack on her
Now as the Aus East Coast is ablaze he is off holidaying in Hawaii

You can't have it both ways
That’s a fair point. But it misses one important thing.
The Feds don’t do anything in bushfire response. Nothing.
Nixon was in an important position on that particular weekend and as head of one of the bushfire response organisations could have made a better choice.
I listened to Gretel Killeen on 7 this morning defending the criticism of Morrison. She was asked what she expected Morrison to do for the bushfire effort now he is back. Apart from appearing on TV in flouro with maybe a bit of ash smeared across one cheek, as all Politicians do.
She had no answer. So I ask the same question. What does anyone expect Morrison to do that will make 1% of difference in these times?

That’s a fair point. But it misses one important thing.
The Feds don’t do anything in bushfire response. Nothing.
Nixon was in an important position on that particular weekend and as head of one of the bushfire response organisations could have made a better choice.
I listened to Gretel Killeen on 7 this morning defending the criticism of Morrison. She was asked what she expected Morrison to do for the bushfire effort now he is back. Apart from appearing on TV in flouro with maybe a bit of ash smeared across one cheek, as all Politicians do.
She had no answer. So I ask the same question. What does anyone expect Morrison to do that will make 1% of difference in these times?
Act on Climate Change

This is the most pathetic thing i have ever seen a politician do

I am sure everyone has seen it by now, but my god it made me angry. A true leader wouldnt run away in his convoy of BMW's. They would have spoken to the people and explained how he would help.

This is what it reminds me of

Yep, Scotty From Marketing, seems to be in a little poo.

Not to worry though, his media controllers will fix it and bail him out....just watch

and have his boss Rupert Murdoch use his Propaganda Machine to try and get him out of this Mess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the most pathetic thing i have ever seen a politician do

I am sure everyone has seen it by now, but my god it made me angry. A true leader wouldnt run away in his convoy of BMW's. They would have spoken to the people and explained how he would help.

This is what it reminds me of

Honestly, the bloke is on a hiding-to-nothing.

Some of the commentary has been astonishing around Morrison. The age of outrage in full swing.

Its one of the key reasons why the left will continue to lose elections.

Some of the commentary has been astonishing around Morrison. The age of outrage in full swing.

He walked away from someone who was asking for help after forcing her to shake his hand. He ran like a pussy. It was the most pathetic thing i have ever seen. If he was a leader he would have stayed and talked to them and explained what he was doing. Its what leaders do. I know politicians like Hawke Keating or even John Howard wouldn't have ran.

Albanese copped it too, are you going to stick up for him or just Morrison?

I do agree that they all copped it.

Well Albanese was here and not over seas.

Though Pollies can never make Everyone Happy.

Though Not Many Happy with Morrison

I do agree that they all copped it.

Well Albanese was here and not over seas.

Though Pollies can never make Everyone Happy.

Though Not Many Happy with Morrison
Dave my point was that as you say it happens to both sides but some can only see one side. Very SAD.

100% - this is not an occasion for political pandering. These guys are politicians, not emergency service men & women. I'm always stunned at whats expected of these people on the 'front line' in a crisis. Thats why we have trained professionals to take care of these situations.

No matter what side of politics you find yourself on, its their job to govern - not be hero's.

He walked away from someone who was asking for help after forcing her to shake his hand. He ran like a pussy. It was the most pathetic thing i have ever seen. If he was a leader he would have stayed and talked to them and explained what he was doing. Its what leaders do. I know politicians like Hawke Keating or even John Howard wouldn't have ran.
Check out my reply to Magz, which goes somewhat to my point.

Alas, I think Morrison is an excellent politician - but would seem he's somewhat of an awkward unit in situations where the unexpected can occur. out in the public domain.

Check out my reply to Magz, which goes somewhat to my point.

Alas, I think Morrison is an excellent politician - but would seem he's somewhat of an awkward unit in situations where the unexpected can occur. out in the public domain.
He’s awkward with the common man/woman. Unless they are of the religious bent.
You could just see that he was busting to go down on bended knee and pray for deliverance from this climate change non event.
Politicians of all leanings have never understood that people going through unthinkable pain and loss would prefer them to remain in their ivory towers, distributing money and resources, rather than being “on the ground” and offering platitudes.
You will not see the images that we saw yesterday again. The minders will make sure that their boss will only be filmed with people who lean their political way.
Yesterday was a failure on the PM’s advisors/minders part. They won’t let that happen again.

100% - this is not an occasion for political pandering. These guys are politicians, not emergency service men & women. I'm always stunned at whats expected of these people on the 'front line' in a crisis. Thats why we have trained professionals to take care of these situations.

No matter what side of politics you find yourself on, its their job to govern - not be hero's.

Problem the Pollies want to make it about Politics

Fair enough, I just don't see it like you do. Happens all the time to politicians.

I also don't think Morrison is a good PM, hasn't done much since in office or in previous Ministerial positions.

I do however think that leadership is important in times of crisis and maybe in Morrison's case too little too late and the anger built up. Albo too decided to go to the cricket before going to do photo ops. Professionals are doing their job but it is nice to be appreciated by leadership. I think Australian volunteers are amongst the best in the world.

I was never a fan of Rudd, but he certainly rolled up his sleeves during Queensland floods and I thought it was genuine. (might be wrong).

I am a bit over politics here, very little bipartisanship over issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back