Mega Thread - All things positive (the Rainbow connection) thread | Page 16 | BigFooty

Mega Thread All things positive (the Rainbow connection) thread

Discussion in 'Melbourne Demons' started by Crimson Azure, May 6, 2013.

1. Wizardy

Wizardy Debutant

Melbourne
    Agreed. The value of getting kids like White, Harmes, ANB, O McDonald and Stretch into a winning frame of mind is far more valuable than a lower draft position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. pure demon

pure demon Team Captain

Melbourne
    A friend of mine, (who is usually spot on), said early days that he dosent rate christian salem. Im more than happy to say today that he was WRONG!

3. Wizardy

Wizardy Debutant

Melbourne
    Salem's looked the goods since he came to the club. Elite kick, intelligent decision maker, strong overhead, tough, versatile and serious X factor. Your mate needs his eyes checked.

4. stabler

stabler Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Clearly the only appropriate course of action now is to sever the friendship.

5. ThePuppetMaster

ThePuppetMaster Yay

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Houston Texans
    Ability as a footballer was obvious from his first game.

deeco likes this.
  6. Ando727

Ando727 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Hey, if you read my posts, I've been saying all year about how we should forget about draft position and focus on effort and winning. Change our culture to a winning one that hates losing. Today was too little, too late to count as a culture change. Excuse me if I'm not entirely quelled by one junk time victory when the two months of football has been absolutely woeful. The fact that we can come out and get a win and shut half our dissatisfied supporter base up for the whole preseason just goes to show what a dodgy bunch of pricks we can be - both as a club and as supporters. Yes, we improved a bit - but with a bit of effort, we could have improved a hell of a lot more. I think as a supporter group we are way too forgiving - all it takes is one win for people to get their hopes up again, only to have them dashed in the following game. The genius of today's win was that it shuts us up for 5 months. As nice as it is to see 7 wins, the way we lost a lot of our games this year was very poor. We don't deserve to be happy and satisfied with what we produced. We should feel frustrated and annoyed that we didn't achieve more - and I hope we are because that is what will drive us forward. Not self-congratulatory statements about how we have improved i.e. how slightly less shit we are. I hope Roos is going to step it up a notch in preseason training and gear us up for a push towards the 8.

maljones, Cannon82 and Djcjdees like this.
  7. pure demon

pure demon Team Captain

Melbourne
    Believe me, i never doubted his ability. The fend off, one hand gather, and lace out pass, and cooly slotting the winner againgst the bombers in his first season...i was sold

8. pure demon

pure demon Team Captain

Melbourne
    Geez remind me not to invite you to a party anytime!
    Hogan, viney, salem, brayshaw, harmes, stretch, vandenberg, o-mac, white, kent, jkh, tyson, mitchie, newton, toumpas, petracca, anb, frost.
    All demons with under fifty games experience and im sure i've missed someone.
    Goodwin will be giggling like a school girl. Yet another draft to go before he gets handed a team ready to do some damage!

9. Ando727

Melbourne
    That's my point though - there's enough talent on this list now. We need to demand effort every week. Pisses me off that the team went on holidays for two months then they pull out a victory in the last match and everybody thinks it was a pretty good season.

Sorry to miss your party...

10. pure demon

pure demon Team Captain

Melbourne
    Yeah i know where your coming from. The bombers, carlton, saints and bulldogs games, we did not turn up with a winners mindset...very frustrating

Ando727 likes this.
  11. MUYB

MUYB Club Legend

Melbourne
    First round one win since 2004
    First win in the last round since 2007 (Kreuzer Cup)
    First time a Melbourne player has kicked 40 goals in a season since Jurrah in 2011(both Hogan and Garlett got to 40)
    First finish outside the bottom 5 since 2006
    Only players not to get a senior game in 2015: Terlich, Trengove, Petracca, Max King(Rookie) and Jayden Hunt, all except Terlich due to injury
    Only three players on the list haven't been exposed to AFL footy, equal with the Dogs, Dockers and Saints, Suns(2) and Essendon(1) are the only teams with fewer.

Canary, Tempy Tiger, Djcjdees and 3 others like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. stabler

stabler Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Jeez this is damning. Goes along way to explaining our low crowd/ membership numbers in recent history. The club sure knows how to destroy any threat of enthusiasm

13. RedLegs#5

RedLegs#5 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Socceroos,Wallabies, Glenn McGrath.
    Not a bad year. Dropped form at different points, but overall showed a lot of improvement.

Tempy Tiger likes this.
  14. deeco

deeco Club Legend

Melbourne
    Know exactly where you're coming from. I feel like this win papers over another craptacular year from our local potato farm.

But you know what? The thing that gives me hope is that 12 months ago, we would have put the franking cue in the rack. We would have thought that a team that beat us earlier in the year by 40odd points was too good and why franking bother. FRANK THAT SHIT. Our boys stood up and said frank a franking draft pick, we want 4 points on the board. These lazy franks have finally figured out that wins=more wins. Throw it away as one game if you want. Or see it as the TRUE turning point of this club.

People can talk about draft picks and effort and all that franking bullshit all they want. The boys finally stood up when we were supposed to roll over and take another honorable loss. They wanted it. Not for Crossy, or Chunk or any other player. They wanted it because they're franking footballer and want to win. Claim it's all just a rah rah win as much as you want. But I'll take it as a statement of intent: we aren't going to cop shit. We've had enough of being the easy beats. Frank this shit, LETS PLAY REAL FOOTBALL AND WIN GAMES.

The boys are fully on board now, get on it or you'll be left wondering next year.

15. MUYB

MUYB Club Legend

Melbourne
    that was rather frank

Ando727 and deeco like this.
  16. Ando727

Melbourne
    Yeah, I know I will get on it again. I'm still fuming over some of our performances over the last two months. I guess I'm not quite ready to feel as positive as I might in a month or two. Part of that stems from making the effort to go to a few games after missing the first half of the season, and we get destroyed in all of them. Would have been nice to see some of this franking determination when I was there.

I'll get over it - just still a bit pissed. Maybe I shouldn't post until I'm more positive - seems like I'm pissing people off by not joining in the merriment...

maljones likes this.
  17. deeco

deeco Club Legend

Melbourne
    Mate, I am more than well lubricated, but we've got a shitload of great talent, a ton of great coaches, and a team who have refused to pack it in when it was more than easy to do so on a nothing game.

We'll see if this game means anything next year, if it does, remember it. If not, we pushed away from the muppets who let us flounder for a decade expecting youth and draft picks to paper over their ineptitude. We're finally out of the quagmire and are building something positive. Get your chin up, and get on us for the next season.

18. Ando727

Melbourne
    Yeah, this feeling always passes. I'll be back on them before too long. If you look at my posting history, I'm not usually too negative. Once the trading and draft period starts I'll be back on board for sure.

maljones and deeco like this.
  19. Djcjdees

Djcjdees Club Legend

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Middlesbrough
    Choco? Is that you?

20. pure demon

pure demon Team Captain

Melbourne
    Nah...not choco

21. Ablett2Garland

Ablett2Garland Club Legend

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    San Jose Sharks, Oakland Raiders
    we are not last
    ?

d33my likes this.
  22. PerfectFooty

PerfectFooty Perfect Cell

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Williamstown Seagulls
    Oh how i forgot about this thread. Feels like the "good" old days

Topkent and d33my like this.
  23. d33my

d33my Club Legend

Melbourne
    Rereading this thread is both uplifting and terrifying.

24. PerfectFooty

PerfectFooty Perfect Cell

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Williamstown Seagulls
    Also a miracle Dr Who never found it during his time on the board

25. Topkent

Topkent Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    **** this thread