Mega Thread All Things Tom Scully - Part II: "We can't lose Tom"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under Scully's current contract his commitments run out at the end of Wednesday and his manager said he'll honor it til the end so if he's leaving nothing will be announced until Thursday.

His dad said if he decides to move interstate the family will back him 100%. I don't like his dad saying things like that as I think he probably has some idea of what is going on.

But watching footy classifieds earlier Garry Lyon was pretty convinced he hasn't signed yet so there's still hope, cmon Scully!!!

Thursday? You Beauty !

I wonder if we can have one of those countdown widgets , on the top left hand corner of our screen, ....counting down to Tom's decision on Thursday.
:)

Haha thatd be sick

Bad signs for all the guys who want Scully to stay, Rhys Palmer has joined Callan Ward in signing for GWS, which means that the media are 2/3 on this with Walker being the exception

Ward on Monday, Palmer on Tuesday...? on Wednesday..Scully on thursday

Do you respect Davis any more for announcing it earlier? or Hate him less even ?

Cause i honestly feel i would have respected it more if Sculls had said, the MFC's been great to me, but i just cant ignore that money.. rather than the way it has played out in the media all year

Btw You guys are also under done in the sympathy from the media.. Davis was a gun, Would have to be the most promising CHB in the comp nearly so hope you guys get adequate compo

Must say I respect him more for it, but it's one of the worst things he could've done.

As an example, Scully offered $4m over 4 years at the start of the year. After a few weeks, Melbourne put in an offer of $3.5m over the same timeframe. He tells Melbourne that GWS has offered him $4m and that if they don't up their offer he'll leave. So Melbourne go up and equal GWS' offer. By the end of the year, Melbourne's offer is still standing and GWS have signed hardly anyone. They up their offer to $5m to get him, not only to sign a future brownlow medalist but also to get MASSIVE PR. Scully signs with GWS for $5m instead of the $4m offer at the start of the year. Simply by waiting that six months or so, he makes an extra $1m!

In the end though, even if he doesn't sign, GWS will be happy with what they've got. They've been on the news every week about Scully, and that's what they need. They'll start off next year with plenty of fans, many becoming members.

Haha thatd be sick

Bad signs for all the guys who want Scully to stay, Rhys Palmer has joined Callan Ward in signing for GWS, which means that the media are 2/3 on this with Walker being the exception

Ward on Monday, Palmer on Tuesday...? on Wednesday..Scully on thursday

Daisy, Pendlebury, Swan, Murphy, Bartel, Kreuzer and a shitload of others. 2/3 they aint.

This whole saga has highlighted something for me.

It really bothers me how draft/kid-centric this game has become. Yeah, it's true that draft picks are easily the most important commodity in the contemporary world of AFL but the fact that we have a TV show dedicated to kids on a Sunday afternoon tells me there is something not quite right.

In America it's different given the size and power of college sport, but here in Australia? Really? It's almost as though supporters claim ownership over draft picks and consequent young players that are recruited, and when something like the Tom Scully issue comes along the s**t hits the fan, due to the fact that we have manifested the importance of these commodities to the point where almost anything else associated with our club is deemed irrelevant or not nearly as important. The same applies for tanking.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that there are A LOT of very talent players on our list and that speculation over one in particular (who has not proved anything in the grand scheme of things), or others than haven't even been drafted yet is pure nonsense.

We need to realise that we support the club. Not individual players. It's pure romanticism that I'm conveying here, but come Friday when we know if Scully is gone or not, our football club is still going to be the only thing that matters.

What I am certain of that should Scully stay or go, the support of this club will no doubt galvanize amongst its faithful.

We all need to take a step back and look at what's important. Not opposition fans opinions. Not the draft system. Not the expansion debate. Not the tanking debate. Not undrafted kids.

We support the club. Anything more than that is purely a luxury. Remember that

Daisy, Pendlebury, Swan, Murphy, Bartel, Kreuzer and a shitload of others. 2/3 they aint.

No, the media were saying those you mentioned were offered deals , however they were saying that Palmer, Ward, Scully and Walker were gone

No one was saying that Thomas or Murphy were gone, so far 2/3 have been correct

Agreed mate, thats why i reserve my right to judge/boo him for the rest of his career if he leaves, because next year i will have a Melbourne membership, not a Tom Scully membership

Your right tho he is just one small piece in the puzzle that we hope makes up our side for the next 10 years

Besides, im more excited about who will be coaching us, that has far more weight an importance on our future than some kid who is weighing up how much money he wants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"He said to us that he's going to be here next year so I'll take his word for it".

James Frawley on Sunday MMM. Poor old Chip isn't the best media performer though, so not sure if we can take much from some rushed nervous words.

What would be worse?

a) Scully leaves.

b) Scully signs for 1-year.

"He said to us that he's going to be here next year so I'll take his word for it".

James Frawley on Sunday MMM. Poor old Chip isn't the best media performer though, so not sure if we can take much from some rushed nervous words.

What would be worse?

a) Scully leaves.

If he asks for one year deal id offer to pack his bags for him

If he asks for one year deal id offer to pack his bags for him

Agreed, i couldn't take another year of this.

But there is no reason for that, he'll either commit for the rest of his career or leave, nothing in between.

I recall a journalist saying that Andrew Swallow had definitely signed too.

What would be worse?

a) Scully leaves.

I think collectively we all love Frawley, but I agree with you about his media interviews. I wouldn't read too much into that. Id rather him leave than a 1 year deal. We gotta move on from this now one way or another.

No, the media were saying those you mentioned were offered deals , however they were saying that Palmer, Ward, Scully and Walker were gone

No one was saying that Thomas or Murphy were gone, so far 2/3 have been correct

I know they said that Bartel and Kreuzer had signed with GWS, so that makes it 2/5. Add in Swallow and it's 2/6. Hardly reliable odds, if the media will get it right once every three times.

I think collectively we all love Frawley, but I agree with you about his media interviews. I wouldn't read too much into that. Id rather him leave than a 1 year deal. We gotta move on from this now one way or another.

I don't think we can take anything seriously with the media these days. I think if he doesn't sign by the end of the week, then throw more at him. This is probably the best young player in the AFL in the last 20 years, if we lose him because we didn't want him to sign only a one-year deal...

This whole saga has highlighted something for me.

It really bothers me how draft/kid-centric this game has become. Yeah, it's true that draft picks are easily the most important commodity in the contemporary world of AFL but the fact that we have a TV show dedicated to kids on a Sunday afternoon tells me there is something not quite right.

In America it's different given the size and power of college sport, but here in Australia? Really? It's almost as though supporters claim ownership over draft picks and consequent young players that are recruited, and when something like the Tom Scully issue comes along the s**t hits the fan, due to the fact that we have manifested the importance of these commodities to the point where almost anything else associated with our club is deemed irrelevant or not nearly as important. The same applies for tanking.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that there are A LOT of very talent players on our list and that speculation over one in particular (who has not proved anything in the grand scheme of things), or others than haven't even been drafted yet is pure nonsense.

We need to realise that we support the club. Not individual players. It's pure romanticism that I'm conveying here, but come Friday when we know if Scully is gone or not, our football club is still going to be the only thing that matters.

What I am certain of that should Scully stay or go, the support of this club will no doubt galvanize amongst its faithful.

We all need to take a step back and look at what's important. Not opposition fans opinions. Not the draft system. Not the expansion debate. Not the tanking debate. Not undrafted kids.

A well thought out post. :thumbsu:

For me the pain would/will come from the fact that the calibre of his talent (I think for most people) is in the A to A+ range. This club has been crying out for perennial All-Australian calibre talent, especially in the midfield.

Of course he hasn't produced that yet, and who knows what the other talented blokes on our list can produce over the coming years. But in my personal opinion he has that A+ mid potential that few of our blokes (perhaps only Trengove) has, and it's something I would hate to lose.

Again, it's all up in the air at this stage, and the knee complaint scares the hell out of me, but in my lifetime we seem to have had a bunch of good to very good players, and a precious few that you could call 'great'.

But I'm with you mate, regardless of the outcome (naive to be speaking of the as though it's not a fait accompli? ;)), I'll be back on board next year.

I don't think we can take anything seriously with the media these days. I think if he doesn't sign by the end of the week, then throw more at him. This is probably the best young player in the AFL in the last 20 years, if we lose him because we didn't want him to sign only a one-year deal...
the best young player in the last 20yrs, are you for real, Martin, Trengove, Fyfe , Swallow, those blokes own that midgit, TS is the most over hyped draft pick in the last 10yrs, thanks to GWS, the sooner he ****s,off the better,but you now Tom, its all about values.

Im sure he will be a gun, but no way the best young player for 20 years. Look, I just think it's time for Tom to s**t or get off the pot. if he wants to be part of the future then commit, if not we can take compo and move on.

A one year deal wouldn't surprise me. It still might give TS the oppurtunity to leave next year on good coin at GWS and it gives him 12 more months to see where the MFC is going with a new coach etc. This, of course, is a decision with risk, as GWS might not offer another good contract again. That said, it is quite clear that the MFC will pay him very well anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back