• Julie Bishop

• Scott Morrison

• Andrew Robb

• Someone from the LIberal Party other than those above

• Bill Shorten

• Someone from the Labor Party other than Shorten

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. My tests for fake news are always empirical, not through bias.

Fake news occurs when

1. the "real news" is published.

Then:

2. The fake news is created by removing context or key qualifying sections of the real news
Then:

3 Social media takes over and fake news posters amplify the fakery on sites like BF.

in the case of the Abbott pre selection the "real news" was the report that the numbers given were speculation. Step 1.

The fake news occurred when journalists reported false figures as fact. Step 2.

Step 3 can be seen on BF.

Right, so the accuracy of the news plays no bearing to the labels. You have no way of knowing the real figures but will accept the figures you like, despite the suspicion and dodgyness surrounding them. You're constructing your own reality. Thanks for confirming.

How do you decide what is real news to begin with?
How do you define "real news".
How can you tell if something is "real news" or if it is not?
Pick me, I know the answers!

A. The news that I agree with?:D

Before you answer Maggie, I need to know your answer, so that I can decide whether it is fake or not...by comparing it to other answers that I deem to be real.
I'm not biased, trust me, I know what is and what isn't a fake answer from observing other fake answers, or real answers.
It's all empirical so how can it be biased?

How do you decide what is real news to begin with?

use your inquiring mind.

How do you define "real news"?.

news reports that come from verifiable sources.

How can you tell if something is "real news" or if it is not?

check to verify it - eg against the original interview or speech. That's the easiest way to spot fake news.

In some cases real news can only be indentified in hindsight - eg the recent Abbott pre selection lies which weren't exposed for a couple of days.

Nevertheless luvvies should always beware of being " faked news" by fairfax media outlets - they are desperate for your clicks. So any fairfax or abc report really floating your boat .... beware.
Right, so the accuracy of the news plays no bearing to the labels. You have no way of knowing the real figures but will accept the figures you like, despite the suspicion and dodgyness surrounding them. You're constructing your own reality. Thanks for confirming.

As soon as posters reveal they only believe news to be real when they agree with it ....

On the contrary, this is the signal they should immediately make checks to see they aren't being scammed and used for clickbait.

It's not hard to identify the real news if you put some effort in.

Went down well up north I see.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...by-indigenous-parliamentarians-after-nt-visit
Tony Abbott has come in for some fierce criticism from Indigenous parliamentarians, parents, educators and elders while receiving a cool reception from the Northern Territory community of Borroloola this week.

Abbott has been on his first tour of the NT since being appointed special envoy on Indigenous affairs, and has said his priority is improving school attendance and education. He visited the communities of Galiwin’ku and Warruwi on Tuesday.

But at Borroloola on Wednesday, the community was surprised when Abbott “just rocked up”, Garrwa and Yanyuwa parent and school council member Gadrian Hoosan told Guardian Australia.

“We asked him, ‘why are you here?’ He said, ‘I’m here because I heard that a lot of kids are not attending school’. But Borroloola school has one of the highest attendance rates in the NT. We were confused.

Garrwa and Yanyuwa man Gadrian Hoosan with a message for Tony Abbott.
“He was really arrogant. He didn’t want to sit down and listen to us.”

Hoosan said that the community wanted to talk about other issues, particularly the quality of drinking water, which has been an ongoing problem, and their concerns about fracking.

“But he didn’t want to listen to us,” Hoosan said. “He wanted to get up and walk away. He didn’t want to answer our questions.

“He’s living in the past.”

Parents, elders and school council members also reportedly challenged Abbott over his previous comments that Aboriginal children should not only speak English first but “think” in English too.

“Tony Abbott says he wants Aboriginal culture and language out of our schools but we know these things are what keep our kids and our communities strong and healthy,” Jack Green, an elder and bilingual education advocate from Borroloola said.

“As elders and educators, we know what is best for our children. It’s time he stepped back, stood down and let us speak for ourselves.”

Hoosan put up a sign for Abbott to see as he left the community.

“We have a strong school here and strong families. He’ll be having nightmares tonight. We told him we don’t want him as our envoy.”

Abbott told 2GB radio last month that the portfolio of Indigenous affairs “requires prime ministerial authority to get things done ... it doesn’t need people running around at the margins; it needs someone at the very top to cut through”.

The federal Labor senator Malarndirri McCarthy is a Yanyuwa traditional owner from Borroloola, and said she was surprised Abbott had visited her home community.

“The people of Borroloola people are expressing what a lot of First Nations people are feeling across Australia, that this is a waste of their time,” McCarthy said.

“They don’t want Tony Abbott as their voice, they have their own voice and they are prepared to use it.”

The NT minister for Aboriginal affairs, Ken Vowles, was equally unimpressed.

Vowles, a Wakaya and Waramunga man, told Guardian Australia “when Tony Abbott was prime minister he stripped $534.4m from the federal Indigenous affairs portfolio.

“He is also the man who said Aboriginal Australians living on their traditional lands in remote communities were making a ‘lifestyle choice’ and shouldn’t complain if services were cut.

“Tony Abbott did nothing for Aboriginal people, especially Aboriginal Territorians, as prime minister. I fail to see how he will do anything as the Indigenous affairs special envoy.

“His recent trip was nothing more than a photo opportunity to say he is ‘on the job’.”

Guardian Australia has contacted Abbott’s office for comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely support Abbott staying parliament, he's a walking, talking gift to the opposition these days and he's keeping capable young Libs out of a safe seat. He's a gone from being the biggest liability for the Labor Party to one of their better assets.

It's a serious thing when indigenous politicians are celebrated by the Guardian , cheered on by greens and goughs, for lying about school attendance rates instead of taking them seriously. What else are they concealing at Boroloola?

Clocking up frequent flyer points?
How was he going to get more attendance, pied piper?
Not much chance of photo op if he doesn't tell them he is coming.:D Biggest fool of a politician ever.
Wouldn't have happened if Credlin was running things but she seems to have decided talking s**t on Sky is more fun than wet nursing a man child.

Our Tone's poverty pr0n and photo op in the Top End. He can reinforce to himself that if Aborigines were more like white people they wouldn't be having all these problems, not realising that the world has moved on from the bloke who gifted him a scholarship.
abbott.jpg

Or you could clarify - did they mean among predominantly indigenous schools? Is 70% considered pretty high in that case? Is the 70% accurate?

I don't know. Happy to hear more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borroloola

[The Borroloola Community Education Centre (CEC) contains a FAFT ('Families as First Teachers') Centre, preschool, primary school and secondary school. The Borroloola CEC has a combined staff of more than 25. The staff is composed of mostly out-of-state teachers and local indigenous teacher aides. The CEC enjoys an average attendance of 100 students but has far more listed on its rolls. Two of the problems facing the school are intermittent student attendance and a high staff turnover. The current Acting Principal is Stephen Pelizzo, who took over the school in 2017.

Tony's envoy job is to get it up into 90% plus just like other Australian schools. Why would the Greens/goughs want to knock it?

Tony's envoy job is to get it up into 90% plus just like other Australian schools. Why would the Greens/goughs want to knock it?
That's fine. The locals see it differently to the government.

Now, why in all * would you send Tony ******* Abbott to these places when he has demonstrated he knows sweet FA and cares even less?

If you yourself were there to... I dunno, what is he there for? ... and people said, can we speak to you about water quality and so on, would you high-tail it out of there?

He is there to tell people what they are doing wrong, not to fix problems.

In all honesty, it's a punishment for both Tony Abbott and the indigenous communities.

Morrison must be laughing his head off at a Barrier Reef Foundation 5-star retreat.

Greens/Goughs would be all over it if it didn't involve Abbott.

But Abbott needs to go one step further, like he has done recently with energy and immigration.

Many of these outback schools are a lost cause. Government keeps throwing money for years on end at remote communities for education, health and policing. Yet school attendance rates remain low, health outcomes are terrible and the rate of child sex abuse and domestic violence is abhorrent.

Abbott is no longer restricted by Liberal election policies. I would like him to express a view that we should stop supporting long term unviable remote communities.

Government keeps throwing money for years on end at remote communities for education, health and policing.

They do?

Back