Kholi
Ponting
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne
Murali
Ambrose
Lillie

With respect, you’ve left out the greatest cricketer to ever play, who probably commands a spot as a batsman alone without factoring in that he could open the bowling AND bowl two different styles of spin

With respect, you’ve left out the greatest cricketer to ever play, who probably commands a spot as a batsman alone without factoring in that he could open the bowling AND bowl two different styles of spin
Who is that? Barry Dawson?

Whilst I think Sobers probably does get in on his batting alone, I believe that, like Kallis, his bowing isn't good enough to ever actually be thrown the ball when a captain has Warne and Murali soaking up big numbers of overs and Marshall and whoever you pick as your second paceman out of Akram/Steyn/McGrath/any number of West Indians. Sobers was a very good bowler, but I am just never letting him bowl unless Marshall breaks his toe.

And so for me it is just the standard best 6 batsmen you can find, Gilchrist/Sanga/Dhoni or whatever keeper you fancy and then the best four bowlers. I will have a shot at a team in a bit.

Whilst I think Sobers probably does get in on his batting alone, I believe that, like Kallis, his bowing isn't good enough to ever actually be thrown the ball when a captain has Warne and Murali soaking up big numbers of overs and Marshall and whoever you pick as your second paceman out of Akram/Steyn/McGrath/any number of West Indians. Sobers was a very good bowler, but I am just never letting him bowl unless Marshall breaks his toe.

And so for me it is just the standard best 6 batsmen you can find, Gilchrist/Sanga/Dhoni or whatever keeper you fancy and then the best four bowlers. I will have a shot at a team in a bit.

Agreed but the premise of picking such a side is predicated on the idea that the potential opponent of such a team would be a similarly strong team.

In which case Marshall, Steyn, McGrath, Warne etc won’t just roll through everyone.

Agreed but the premise of picking such a side is predicated on the idea that the potential opponent of such a team would be a similarly strong team.

In which case Marshall, Steyn, McGrath, Warne etc won’t just roll through everyone.
No I meant, regardless if they roll through them or not, Warne and Murali are going to be bowling 25+ overs each in a day. Marshall and say Akram are bowling 15+ overs each. It isn't actually leaving many overs in a day for a 5th bowler. Not enough to justify selecting an all rounder.

There is no all rounder in history who is causing me to take overs away from those guys if they can bowl. I would feel differently if I wasn't taking both spinners.

No I meant, regardless if they roll through them or not, Warne and Murali are going to be bowling 25+ overs each in a day. Marshall and say Akram are bowling 15+ overs each. It isn't actually leaving many overs in a day for a 5th bowler. Not enough to justify selecting an all rounder.

There is no all rounder in history who is causing me to take overs away from those guys if they can bowl. I would feel differently if I wasn't taking both spinners.
Akram is an all rounder in my eyes that’s why he gets the nod ahead of others.

Akram is an all rounder in my eyes that’s why he gets the nod ahead of others.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with a bowling all rounder, because they bat regardless. I am just not giving a batting all rounder overs when it is just taking away from Warne and Murali.

Sunil Gavaskar
Barry Richards
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Muttiah Muralidharan

Mark Waugh was a beautiful bat, not in the top echelon but if this team played a game I want him at 2nd slip next to Warne and when Warne is bowling I want him at slip.

Sunil Gavaskar
Barry Richards
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Muttiah Muralidharan

Mark Waugh was a beautiful bat, not in the top echelon but if this team played a game I want him at 2nd slip next to Warne and when Warne is bowling I want him at slip.
Bradman?? Surely first selected right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did you with electing pollock over Akram as well the all rounder pool is hard to decide!

All Time

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Warne
Steyn
Marshall
Barnes

That I've Seen

Smith
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

These are both good cracks

Openers are probably the hardest in both sides. Seems to be very few batsman that stand out as openers as the middle order players do. People talk about Trumper, but only just over half of his innings were as an opener, he did a lot of his best work in the middle order as well. It's like picking Sangakkara as your wicketkeeper in these sides, even though he dropped the gloves early on in his Test career.

I would have considerd Pollock ahead of Richards if he played more tests. Throw a blanket over McGrath, Akram, Lillee and Hadlee as the compeititon for one of Steyn or Marshall's spots.

All time without NSW players

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Knott
Akram
Warne
Marshall
Barnes

NSW all time

Trumper
Morris
Bradman
Smith
Border
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Benaud
Davidson
Lindwall
McGrath

Who wins?
NSW gets real close, but does lose.

Incredible really, that it could even possibly be close, but the bowlers probably get the non NSW team over the line. Particularly Warne/Murali.

NSW gets real close, but does lose.

Incredible really, that it could even possibly be close, but the bowlers probably get the non NSW team over the line. Particularly Warne/Murali.
Maybe you could sub in a bowler from the NSW 2nd 11 all time if the 1st 11 line up doesn't do it for you. Bill O'Reilly for Benaud perhaps? Arthur Morris could perhaps also be considered a weak link in such company.

Taylor
Simpson
Macartney
Clarke
McCabe
Walters
Haddin
J Gregory
Cummins
Spofforth
O’Reilly

Maybe you could sub in a bowler from the NSW 2nd 11 all time if the 1st 11 line up doesn't do it for you. Bill O'Reilly for Benaud perhaps? Arthur Morris could perhaps also be considered a weak link in such company.

Taylor
Simpson
Macartney
Clarke
McCabe
Walters
Haddin
J Gregory
Cummins
Spofforth
O’Reilly
That second 11 is just insane. Especially the Demon.

Speaking of which, I wonder if he is on that Fred page they are running in the bay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back