Competitions All Time Draft - Vote For The Best Team

Who Has The Best Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 30
With pick 30 I'm selecting another doozy in Ron Branton

Ron played in the back-pocket and as a rover after being recruited from Maryborough. He was a courageous and inspiring player and though only short in stature was a strong mark. He was a tireless trier who had the ability to nullify opponents and still gather possessions himself. He polled well in the Best and Fairest award running equal second in the 1956, second in 1958 and third in 1957, before winning the award in 1960, 1961 and 1962. He was senior vice captain in 1958 and 1959 and captain from 1960 until 1962. He also won the Most Determined Trophy in 1957. In 1953 he won the Best First Year Player award and in 1962 he was awarded Life Membership. He also won the club Goalkicking award in 1953 and 1954 and he went on to represent Victoria twice. Ron’s highest individual goal tally was 4 which he kicked on five occasions. In his last VFL season he ran equal second in the 1962 “Brownlow Medal”. He captained the club to their only night Premiership win, which ironically was his last game with the club and won the Best and Fairest for the third time. Only Kevin Bartlett, Jacky Dyer and Roy Wright have won more Best and Fairest awards.

Accolades:
Jack Dyer Medal - 1960 1961 1962
Club Leading Goalkicker - 1953 1954
Richmond Captain - 1960-1962
Richmond Hall Of Fame - 2006

Ron played in the back-pocket and as a rover after being recruited from Maryborough. He was a courageous and inspiring player and though only short in stature was a strong mark. He was a tireless trier who had the ability to nullify opponents and still gather possessions himself. He polled well in the Best and Fairest award running equal second in the 1956, second in 1958 and third in 1957, before winning the award in 1960, 1961 and 1962. He was senior vice captain in 1958 and 1959 and captain from 1960 until 1962. He also won the Most Determined Trophy in 1957. In 1953 he won the Best First Year Player award and in 1962 he was awarded Life Membership. He also won the club Goalkicking award in 1953 and 1954 and he went on to represent Victoria twice. Ron’s highest individual goal tally was 4 which he kicked on five occasions. In his last VFL season he ran equal second in the 1962 “Brownlow Medal”. He captained the club to their only night Premiership win, which ironically was his last game with the club and won the Best and Fairest for the third time. Only Kevin Bartlett, Jacky Dyer and Roy Wright have won more Best and Fairest awards.

Accolades:
Who the fook is that guy?

There are a few players I still want a lot - but I will be really mad at myself if I do not take at Pick 29:
Roger Dean
View attachment 1284344

He is the reason I barrack for Richmond. Taken to my first ever game by my Dad (it was at Lake Oval), I was all of 5 having just returned from Fiji. I can still see where we were at the end of the grandstand, but having never seen the game and no idea about the teams, the bloke next to me jumped out of his seat as Roger Dean won one of his customary free kicks (remember those 4 weeks Ron Barrassi) and that bloke yelled at the top if his lungs "Dean you bloody squib"- and easily influenced I thought that is what you do here, so I jumped up on my seat and yelled as loud as I could "Yeah Dean, you squid" - to which my father rather embarrassingly yanked me back down in my seat and said "shut up - he's one of ours". It must have resonated - 'Ours' meant I barracked for the Tigers then! That Roger Dean bloke was my hero for ever more! Two time Premiership player (unlucky not to be three) - Premiership Captain! A Richmond Immortal!

View attachment 1284350

Wrenny / Phar Ace's team (jump in when you can Wrenny!)
B: xx xx xx
HB: xx xx xx
C: xx M Rioli Snr xx
HF: xx xx xx
F: xx J.Titus xx
FOL: M.Green xx R.Dean
IC: xx xx xx xx

You are up again _RT_
Fxxking legend this bloke. Actually immortal as you stated.

Accolades:

I feel really....., well not sorry, but i feel for blokes who led the Club through the darker hours. His B & F's were when we were Spooners in 1960, 10th in 61 and 8th in 62. There were two other runner ups in the Brownlow in 62 - Kevin Murray and Ken 'Mopsy' Fraser. Alistair Lord won it so in good company that's for sure. Nice pick _RT_!

Accolades:

Richmond's best No. 29 before KB came along.

Pick 31
With Pick 31 I select my current fave Tiger Nick Vlastuin
To date 173 games, 27 goals, 3 time premiership player
Drafted 9th overall in 2012, debuted round 5 in 2013
52536e373d026c19568bb454ed6cf006

PB74's team
B: xx D.Gaspar N.Vlastuin
C: xx xx xx
F: xx M.Roach xx
FOL: xx xx D.Weightman

richard parker you're up next

With Pick 31 I select my current fave Tiger Nick Vlastuin
To date 173 games, 27 goals, 3 time premiership player
Drafted 9th overall in 2012, debuted round 5 in 2013
52536e373d026c19568bb454ed6cf006

PB74's team
B: xx D.Gaspar N.Vlastuin
C: xx xx xx
F: xx M.Roach xx
FOL: xx xx D.Weightman

richard parker you're up next

Matches up well with his first Tigers number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 33
Pick 33- Jim "The Ghost" Jess

Games - 223
Goals - 175

An ebullient, larger than life character who played football with verve, persistence and no small amount of 'devil', Jim Jess was a firm favourite among Richmond fans throughout a 223-game VFL career that ran from 1976 to 1988. Known as 'The Ghost', he excelled in both defensive and attacking key positions, often during the course of the same game.

Probably Jess's best and certainly his most eventful season was 1980, when he was a major driving force behind a Richmond surge to the premiership that culminated in a 23.21 (159) to 9.24 (78) Grand Final annihilation of Collingwood. That same year saw Jess make the All Australian side after a couple of vibrantly effective performances for the 'Big V' at the Adelaide state of origin carnival. Powerful overhead, and a prodigious kick, Jess, who was loathed as much by opposition fans as he was loved by Richmond's, was a major draw-card during a period when VFL football was declining in popularity. His loyalty to the Tigers was amply demonstrated late in his career when he agreed to accept reduced match payments in order to help the cash-strapped club.

• Richmond Premiership Player 1980
  • Interstate Games:- 3
  • All Australian: 1980
  • Richmond - Hall of Fame - inducted 2008

1637624231226.png

Team
HB: xx Jess xx
C: Clay Stewart xx
HF: xx Richardson xx
F: xx xx xx
FOL: xx xx xx

Tiger_Of_Old you're up

Last edited:
There are a few players I still want a lot - but I will be really mad at myself if I do not take at Pick 29:
Roger Dean
View attachment 1284344

He is the reason I barrack for Richmond. Taken to my first ever game by my Dad (it was at Lake Oval), I was all of 5 having just returned from Fiji. I can still see where we were at the end of the grandstand, but having never seen the game and no idea about the teams, the bloke next to me jumped out of his seat as Roger Dean won one of his customary free kicks (remember those 4 weeks Ron Barrassi) and that bloke yelled at the top if his lungs "Dean you bloody squib"- and easily influenced I thought that is what you do here, so I jumped up on my seat and yelled as loud as I could "Yeah Dean, you squid" - to which my father rather embarrassingly yanked me back down in my seat and said "shut up - he's one of ours". It must have resonated - 'Ours' meant I barracked for the Tigers then! That Roger Dean bloke was my hero for ever more! Two time Premiership player (unlucky not to be three) - Premiership Captain! A Richmond Immortal!

View attachment 1284350

Wrenny / Phar Ace's team (jump in when you can Wrenny!)
C: xx M Rioli Snr xx
F: xx J.Titus xx
FOL: M.Green xx R.Dean

You are up again _RT_
That sides looking awesome mate. Michael Green and Roger Dean would be in my top 10 picks behind Bartlett, Bourke, Hart, Martin and Riewoldt. Titus would still get a kick in today's game just on speed , mobility, agility and most important his ability to read the play. Rioli well he's behind Bartlett and Martin in the guts

I've seen this done on a couple of boards and was thinking it could be an interesting exercise to run on our board. To make this work ideally we'd have between 8-12 participants, so please if you join make sure that you are a regular poster so that this runs right through to the end. Maybe we can ask the mods for a badge to be awarded to the person whose team is voted as the best.

1. A player will only be judged on deeds done in the Yellow & Black.

2. No time limit for picks. With regards to work commitments, it's probably unreasonable to assume that everyone can be on the same schedule and be able to pull the trigger on their next selection as soon as the previous selection has been made (myself included). If anyone is really dragging their feet, we will just rely on good old fashioned peer pressure through tagging. With 198 players to pick though it would be nice to move through the rounds quite quickly, after you've posted your selection, tag the next poster as a courtesy.

3. Feel free to write a few sentences to justify your selection! It'll make it easier to push your case for voting for the best team at the end.

4. All players, past and present, are eligible.

5. The draft order will be randomised and will run in a snake order for example if we get 12 players then it runs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Amazing concept and probably one of the best threads I've seen on any Tiger footy groups. Thumbs up RT:thumbsu:

That sides looking awesome mate. Michael Green and Roger Dean would be in my top 10 picks behind Bartlett, Bourke, Hart, Martin and Riewoldt. Titus would still get a kick in today's game just on speed , mobility, agility and most important his ability to read the play. Rioli well he's behind Bartlett and Martin in the guts
Bartlett was a rover and Rioli a cente man. So, you could have both in a team. Green in my top 10 too but Dean best 22.

Alex rance surely gets picked before Darren gaspar 😵‍💫

Joel Bowden ahead of Vlastuin too.

Also Brad Ottens should be pretty high.

Alex rance surely gets picked before Darren gaspar 😵‍💫

Joel Bowden ahead of Vlastuin too.

Also Brad Ottens should be pretty high.

Ummm... Rance was picked well ahead of Gaspar...
And... shhh, JB is still in play!!
Ottens? Good player, but other rucks ahead of him still in my eyes.

Hey mate! Thanks for that. Been trembling leaving Dean out for my first three picks, but Titus was a dead set star and as you say his skills would translate perfectly still to today - even Dyer loved him. Bartlett gone before I could even think, same with Martin, thought long and hard between Rioli and Barrott and even Stewart - but i just loved Maurice's evasive work - and skills sublime - you know how good he is good when he pushes Raines out of the Centre.
Had to get a Ruck early - wanted the best we have had (imo), may get another if I get a chance, because Green was so good forward as well. So hard watching 9 players you want go elsewhere before you can pick 1 ;) :D

Last edited:
Pick 33- the Ghost, Jim Jess.

Career highlights
YearsClubGames (Goals)
1976–1988Richmond223 (175)
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1988.
  • Richmond Premiership Player 1980
  • Interstate Games:- 3
  • All Australian: 1980
  • Richmond - Hall of Fame - inducted 2008

Team
HB: xx Jess xx
C: Clay Stewart xx
HF: xx Richardson xx
F: xx xx xx
FOL: xx xx xx

Tiger_Of_Old you're up

Can I send someone around to hobble your computer!;)

Back