footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Apropos of nothing other than my liking for useless stats, 6 players on our list currently sit in the top 54 (Fossie 32 !) for games played:

#29 Jack Macrae 196 games
#36 Tom Liberatore 184 games
#38 Marcus Bontempelli 181 games
#48 Jason Johannisen 168 games
#49 Lachie Hunter 168 games
#54 Mitch Wallis 161 games

While Wallis is unlikely to add substantially to his tally, who knows with Hunter this year, and JJ still injured, the other 3 (assuming they play all games for the rest of the season, and for the moment discounting finals) could finish the year on:

Macrae 207, equal with Dempsey at #20
Liber 195, at #30
Bont 192 at #31

At not quite 28 and barely 26, Macrae and Bont should both be well inside the top 10-12 by the end of their careers.

Sadly given our history, the majority of that 54 have played in more losses than wins - Macrae, Bont and Hunter, lucky to have played most of their careers under Bevo, have a postive win/loss ratio, Liber and Wallis marginally in negative territory thanks to the Macartney years.

Of the entire top 54, only 3 of the current top 10 (Grant #2, Boyd #8 and Liber snr #9), and only 23 of the whole 54 have positive win/loss ratios (Liam Picken had 99 wins and 99 losses in his 198 games). Past champions like John Jillard and John Schultz barely won 1 in 3 of the games they played. And Schultz played in 4 finals, including a Grand Final, but also in the first two wooden spoon seasons we ever had, and 7 of his 11 seasons we finished bottom 3.

Also worth noting, there are two sets of father/sons on that list (Liberatore and Wallis), and 15 other players who are the father, son, brother, etc of one or more league players:

Chris Grant, brother of Jamie (Footscray)
Scott West, father of Rhylee (Western Bulldogs)
Ted Whitten, brother of Don (Footscray), father of Ted Jnr (Footscray)
Scott Wynd, son of Garrey (Melbourne), brother of Paul (North Melbourne)
Luke Darcy, son of David (Footscray), father of Sam (Western Bulldogs - yet to play a senior game)
Ryan Hargrave, son of Steve (Footscray)
Norm Ware, brother of Walter (Hawthorn), uncle of Bob (Footscray)
Liam Picken, son of Billy (Collingwood, Sydney), brother of Marcus (Brisbane) - and cousin of Jonathon Brown (Brisbane)
John Schultz, brother of Robert (Footscray)
Stephen MacPherson, brother of Rod (Footscray, Brisbane), father of Darcy (Gold Coast)
Gary Merrington, father of Andrew (Carlton)
Ian Dunstan, son of Maurie (Collingwood), brother of Graeme (Collingwood)
Lachie Hunter, son of Mark (Footscray)
Joe Ryan, son of Mick (Collingwood), brother of Bill (Footscray), nephew of David (Collingwood)
Peter Welsh, son of Jack (Footscray)

Courtesy of afltables.com and some data manipulation on my part, here is the list of 54 as it stands (current players shaded grey, positive win/loss shaded blue):

1654147019220.png

Edit: to reference JJ in the top 54 as well

Attachments

• 1654136771315.png
    1654136771315.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Speaking of all time games played and the top 54, a personal favourite bit of trivia is Brad Johnson was the 54th player to play 300 games.

It's incredible to think he achieved that only 14 years ago and since then the list of 300+ gamers has climbed to 97.

So it took over 100 years for 54 players to achieve that feat and only 14 years for another 43 to achieve it.

Ah, for all that effort, because afltables doesn't have JJ flagged as a current player(!), I missed him too - #48, equal on games with Hunter!
(I really need to proof read my posts!)

Ah, for all that effort, because afltables doesn't have JJ flagged as a current player(!), I missed him too - #48, equal on games with Hunter!
(I really need to proof read my posts!)
So Fossie is #54 :oops:

Spookily I am wearing my Brad Johnson 342 game commemorative jumper today!

[OK not actually an unusual thing :p]

So Fossie is #54 :oops:

Spookily I am wearing my Brad Johnson 342 game commemorative jumper today!

[OK not actually an unusual thing :p]
No, Fossie is still #53, JJ is in that list I posted (now updated to highlight shading for JJ as well), I just missed highlighting him as a current player.

I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to that sort of thing, especially when I am the author!

Apologies for being way off topic - I understand the De Konning boys playing for Carlton and Geelong are sons of a former Bulldog. Correct? How many games did he play for us ( I won’t let it get me down). Thanks

Speaking of all time games played and the top 54, a personal favourite bit of trivia is Brad Johnson was the 54th player to play 300 games.

It's incredible to think he achieved that only 14 years ago and since then the list of 300+ gamers has climbed to 97.

So it took over 100 years for 54 players to achieve that feat and only 14 years for another 43 to achieve it.
When EJ ran out for his 321st - and a VFL record at the time - there was speculation that nobody would ever beat that number.

Full time overpaid professionalism has changed all that.

When EJ ran out for his 321st - and a VFL record at the time - there was speculation that nobody would ever beat that number.

Full time overpaid professionalism has changed all that.
Well, EJ did try and play on at North!
(There's a photo somewhere of him at training at Arden St in 1972 in a North jumper.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apropos of nothing other than my liking for useless stats, 6 players on our list currently sit in the top 54 (Fossie 32 !) for games played:

While Wallis is unlikely to add substantially to his tally, who knows with Hunter this year, and JJ still injured, the other 3 (assuming they play all games for the rest of the season, and for the moment discounting finals) could finish the year on:

Liber 195, at #30
Bont 192 at #31

At not quite 28 and barely 26, Macrae and Bont should both be well inside the top 10-12 by the end of their careers.

Sadly given our history, the majority of that 54 have played in more losses than wins - Macrae, Bont and Hunter, lucky to have played most of their careers under Bevo, have a postive win/loss ratio, Liber and Wallis marginally in negative territory thanks to the Macartney years.

Of the entire top 54, only 3 of the current top 10 (Grant #2, Boyd #8 and Liber snr #9), and only 23 of the whole 54 have positive win/loss ratios (Liam Picken had 99 wins and 99 losses in his 198 games). Past champions like John Jillard and John Schultz barely won 1 in 3 of the games they played. And Schultz played in 4 finals, including a Grand Final, but also in the first two wooden spoon seasons we ever had, and 7 of his 11 seasons we finished bottom 3.

Also worth noting, there are two sets of father/sons on that list (Liberatore and Wallis), and 15 other players who are the father, son, brother, etc of one or more league players:

Luke Darcy, son of David (Footscray), father of Sam (Western Bulldogs - yet to play a senior game)
Liam Picken, son of Billy (Collingwood, Sydney), brother of Marcus (Brisbane) - and cousin of Jonathon Brown (Brisbane)
Stephen MacPherson, brother of Rod (Footscray, Brisbane), father of Darcy (Gold Coast)
Joe Ryan, son of Mick (Collingwood), brother of Bill (Footscray), nephew of David (Collingwood)

Courtesy of afltables.com and some data manipulation on my part, here is the list of 54 as it stands (current players shaded grey, positive win/loss shaded blue):

View attachment 1414847

Thanks footscray1973 . You've just made me feel very old, as I can recall 47 of the 54 named actually playing.

Liber 195, at #30
Bont 192 at #31

View attachment 1414847

List needs an update - Wallis departs still in 54th position, Hunter made it up to equal with Sutton on 173. Daniel is the next highest current player on 153 (the next 2 after that were Cordy on 118 and Dunkley on 116 :(). All 4 of those departures had fathers who only played for one club - unlike at least 3 sons (Wallis may remain a one-club AFL player). Modern footy, eh? :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back